Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey guys, stop saying "hey guys"! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi penis-people and vagina people

ReputationRep:
    I have a lecturer who starts every lecture with 'Listen up, guys.' No one cares. OP is just nit-picking.

ReputationRep:
    First world problems...smh.

ReputationRep:
    We're all men, the women are men, the children are men, the men of course.. men.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is the result when you start digging for issues or problems even with the silliest issue. If people prefer using 'hey guys' (Although in general, I find the phrase annoying), they should have the freedom to do it. And it is your duty to not take everything within their literal meaning, have an open mind. One should respect your opinion on this matter, but you must also understand that not everyone feels the same. So try not to force your opinion because, from your posts, it seems as though you are out to change the world.

ReputationRep:
    Ffs get a grip. Feminists are getting out of control everyone knows "guys" means a group of people you can't expect people to think so much about every word that they say. If you're offended by that you're just overreacting and purposely looking for something to hate men for. By the way loads of girls say hey guys too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faye__1996)
    The first definition on your first link is 'A guy is a man.'

If there is true gender equality, WHY is 'girls' not a gender-neutral informal greeting for all genders, too?
    To be fair the head of maths calls everyone ladies and no one complains.

ReputationRep:
    Is it late enough to say this generation is going down the pan yet? Cause it's going down the pan guys...

ReputationRep:
    It's like MANkind, dogs are a MANs best friend. You say definitions change but so do the way we think as a society (I hope). Obviously when man-kind, 'man' (plural) was adopted, men were considered the superior gender. Thankfully now due to feminism etc people are finally recognising that all genders are equal. SO we should refer to all people as humankind NOT mankind. It is not inclusive of anyone who does not identify as a man.

Also, saying hey 'guys' may be offensive to anyone who does not identify as a guy. For example, if someone is transitioning male > female they may even take offense to this. Why is it okay for a group to be addressed by 'guys' instead of 'girls'? It is automatically implying you're addressing the guys more than the girls. And if 'guys' is gender neutral (as you all say) why is 'girls' not gender neutral? Walk up to your non female identifying colleagues / friends etc and announce 'hey girls!' and I bet they laugh.
    Mankind doesn't refer to man as male. It's from old Germanic were man meant Human, Weapman meant male and Woman meant female. Mankind is not actually gendered.

ReputationRep:
    Hi EVERYONE (not just guys...)

Stop saying "hey guys"! Even if you mean it to be gender neutral, by definition "guy" = "a man" (Google dictionary).

Instead, please say "Hi all", "Hi everyone" etc, etc.

How would you feel if someone addressed a mix group (males / females / other) as "Hey girls"? Not so inclusive, I imagine. So please stop it!

Thanks.
    omfg stop with this sh*t

ReputationRep:
    Hi EVERYONE (not just guys...)

Stop saying "hey guys"! Even if you mean it to be gender neutral, by definition "guy" = "a man" (Google dictionary).

Instead, please say "Hi all", "Hi everyone" etc, etc.

How would you feel if someone addressed a mix group (males / females / other) as "Hey girls"? Not so inclusive, I imagine. So please stop it!

Thanks.

lmao the PM won't resign from Twitter hype. Don't be a moron.

ReputationRep:
    Stop reading so deeply into things, it's a simple expression that's been around for years

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys its Nicole

ReputationRep:
    It's like MANkind, dogs are a MANs best friend. You say definitions change but so do the way we think as a society (I hope). Obviously when man-kind, 'man' (plural) was adopted, men were considered the superior gender. Thankfully now due to feminism etc people are finally recognising that all genders are equal. SO we should refer to all people as humankind NOT mankind. It is not inclusive of anyone who does not identify as a man.

Also, saying hey 'guys' may be offensive to anyone who does not identify as a guy. For example, if someone is transitioning male > female they may even take offense to this. Why is it okay for a group to be addressed by 'guys' instead of 'girls'? It is automatically implying you're addressing the guys more than the girls. And if 'guys' is gender neutral (as you all say) why is 'girls' not gender neutral? Walk up to your non female identifying colleagues / friends etc and announce 'hey girls!' and I bet they laugh.
    Do you not have enough problems in your life that you have to create new ones? All of your arguments are from another person who got massively btfo ages ago.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should leave your triggeredness to your blog post.

Btw Hey Homosapiens!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The thread title is Hey guys, stop saying "hey guys"! And we're taking this seriously? 2/10, continuity error, insert coins and try again.

ReputationRep:
    TLDR: people are more offended at me suggesting not to use "guys" than the potential instrumental offense caused by saying "guys".

#priorities

ReputationRep:
    TLDR: people are more offended at me suggesting not to use "guys" than the potential instrumental offense caused by saying "guys".

#priorities
    Why is the idea that someone finds censoring more offensive than a misunderstanding so odd to you?

ReputationRep:
    Did you know that 'man' is actually a gender neutral term? Historically, a woman was called a 'wifman' and a man was called a 'wereman', with the man part being gender neutral. So firstly, if man can be gender-neutral, then so can 'guy'. Also: this means a female werewolf would be a wifwolf, which is hilarious. XD
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.