Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey guys, stop saying "hey guys"! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I suppose you have to get something right once in a while, even you. Why do you assume I typed it?
    Following your reasoning ... 'I shall make whatever assumptions I want, justified or otherwise. It is my right.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleBlossom5)
    Well, I say 'hey girls' when addressing a group of mixed genders and nobody has an issue. I suppose it just depends on how strong/weak a person's masculinity is, in order to say it. Who really cares if someone calls you a girl for a second? I mean it is a stupid greeting if you are so hurt over that then you need your priorities checking. I say 'hey guys' and 'hey girls' sometimes even 'hi girlies' - let's be honest what is the problem with it?
    There is no problem in your case as you say both 'hey guys' and 'hey girls'. There is a problem with the societal acceptance (in most cases) of 'hey guys' but not 'hey girls'.

ReputationRep:
    First-world problems..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faye__1996)
    Following your reasoning ... 'I shall make whatever assumptions I want, justified or otherwise. It is my right.'
    I didn't question your right, nor did I ask you to make a different assumption. I merely asked a question.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't question your right, nor did I ask you to make a different assumption. I merely asked a question.
    And in response to YOUR question, I present YOUR answer - "I shall make whatever assumptions I want, justified or otherwise. It is my right.'" Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    No I'll keep on saying it. Not everything in this world is offensive so stop trying to make everything something to be offended by.
    Hey guys. Someone's speaking some sense here. Calls for reps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    OP has a PhD in Snowflake Studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Do you not think that the gender languages do that because of rampant sexism for centuries when the languages were formed? Or do you think that the societies are sexist because of that gender preference in their language?

I would hazard a guess at the former being more likely.
    Fully agree with you.

But the point is that continuing using this sexist language perpetuates a certain sexist mentality. So let's stop that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Fully agree with you.

But the point is that continuing using this sexist language perpetuates a certain sexist mentality. So let's stop that!
    100%!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I use "hey guys" regularly and mainly use it to show that everyone in the group whether they be male or female are included in the conversation/plan/event etc.

I didn't think this was offensive and no-one I know of has an issue with this :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    So let's stop that!
    Let's not. Just because you labour under the delusion that you can ascribe particular motivation to the words I use in a perfectly innocuous manner, and seek to impose your rules of thinking, that does not give you the right to restrict the way I use my native language.

Until today I rarely used 'Hey guys', but I shall try to use it more from now on if it upsets snowflakes so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faye__1996)
    It's like MANkind, dogs are a MANs best friend. You say definitions change but so do the way we think as a society (I hope). Obviously when man-kind, 'man' (plural) was adopted, men were considered the superior gender. Thankfully now due to feminism etc people are finally recognising that all genders are equal. SO we should refer to all people as humankind NOT mankind. It is not inclusive of anyone who does not identify as a man.

Also, saying hey 'guys' may be offensive to anyone who does not identify as a guy. For example, if someone is transitioning male > female they may even take offense to this. Why is it okay for a group to be addressed by 'guys' instead of 'girls'? It is automatically implying you're addressing the guys more than the girls. And if 'guys' is gender neutral (as you all say) why is 'girls' not gender neutral? Walk up to your non female identifying colleagues / friends etc and announce 'hey girls!' and I bet they laugh.
    Why should we? If people are so soft they're offended by the use of mankind, or guys, then I truly pity them. Why do we need to change the way we think when the very definition of the word is, in the modern world, considered neutral. Why does where the word come from have any relevance? Should we stop using the word "decimate" because it's origins are rooted in what essentially boiled down to ritual murder, or stop using the phrase "no can do" because of it's original racist connotations?

I wouldn't say "hey girls" because I just don't find it rolls off the tongue well. Last time I was doing a group based job though, if I walked up to my colleagues (at the time a group of mildly gruff mountain type people) and said "alright ladies" I'd get a nod of acknowledgement and that would be about it.

But hey, maybe I should stop saying "people" because I might come across someone who identifies as a cat and they might be offended. I should probably stop wearing tight cycling clothes incase it offends someone as well. Oh, and the pale colour of my home exterior definitely needs to be changed lest it offend someone. Should definitely change the name of my dog as well just incase I run into anyone who still believes in the ancient roman religions and takes offense to it...

ReputationRep:
    I shall make whatever assumptions I want, justified or otherwise. It is my right.
    Aren't you over 60?

ReputationRep:
    Funny how people opposed to this cry how people for this are snowflakes or are the offended ones, when at the same time they're so offended at being asked to change how they treat people. I ask again, why are you so hurt by stopping to say hey "guys"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    OP has a PhD in Snowflakes Studies.
    It's attitudes like yours that are dangerous. Say, 100 years ago, many of the things that society deems as offensive today were non-offensive, or people who were offended were silenced, similar to you indirectly calling me a snowflake. Open your eyes and don't be so saturated with the societal norms. Think for yourself and recognise that society is constantly adapting and changing and that there is still a lot of room for improvement. Just because you don't view something as offensive today doesn't mean it's not offensive for others. And if you consent and actively contribute to the offense of others, then, please try think more positively. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Funny how people opposed to this cry how people for this are snowflakes or are the offended ones, when at the same time they're so offended at being asked to change how they treat people. I ask again, why are you so hurt by stopping to say hey "guys"?
    I am not offended by being asked to change. I am amused by it. As i said in a previous post, I shall henceforth try to change my use of 'Hey guys'.

See, you have had an effect.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you being a little over the top?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the beer)
    Aren't you over 60?
    Am I?

ReputationRep:
    I ask again, why are you so hurt by stopping to say hey "guys"?
    How can we remember them all?

ReputationRep:
    Fully agree with you.

I do not agree it does perpetuate a sexist mentality. Just as using the word Thursday does not perpetuate deification of the Norse God Thor. At a certain point in time, the word becomes detached from its etymology from a user's perspective.

However, the perception of sexist victimhood is perpetuated by those who note the current usage against the etymology. That is, people who consciously or unconsciously wish to perceive themselves as subjugated.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.