Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey guys, stop saying "hey guys"! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, genuine question to those who say we shouldn't use guys. What should we use?

ReputationRep:
    If you're the type of person who gets offended by being a member of a group that's referred to as ''guys" then maybe you should take a long hard look at yourself and question why you focus on such petty issues of "social injustice" such as these, instead of putting your energy towards real sexist issues like domestic violence or workplace inequality.

ReputationRep:
    1. No one said those who use it are sexist.
    2. No on is offended by it. Simply pointing out the effect of language, and easy ways of addressing it.

If you fail to see these two points, you're just showing you don't reslly understand the topic.

3. As I said before, why are you crying so much about something that doesn't harm you, what terrible thing is going to happen to you if you stop saying guys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    2. No on isn't offended by it. ...
    If you fail to see these two points, you're just showing you don't reslly understand the topic.
    Or, perhaps that, your message is confused. What does no one isn't offended mean?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    1. No one said those who use it are sexist.
    2. No on isn't offended by it. Simply pointing out the effect of language, and easy ways of addressing it.

3. As I said before, why are you crying so much about something that doesn't harm you, what terrible thing is going to happen to you if you stop saying guys?
    What's going to happen to anybody else if we keep saying it? You said yourself that it isn't sexist or offensive, so what's the issue with saying it?
    How's it any different from saying "What's up peeps?" or "Howdy friends"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Or, perhaps that, your message is confused. What does no one isn't offended mean?
    No one is offended. My phones autocorrection has been terrible recently.

Wouldn't have been so hard for you to figure out the actual meaning though, would it?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    What's going to happen to anybody else if we keep saying it? You said yourself that it isn't sexist or offensive, so what's the issue with saying it?
    How's it any different from saying "What's up peeps?" or "Howdy friends"?
    Looks here Good Bloke, someone who was able to see it meant to say is instead of isn't.

Anyway, because language has an influence on how we think. Best example is men are assertive, women are aggressive or even straight up *****es. If you are interested, google gendered language.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't have been so hard for you to figure out the actual meaning though, would it?
    One can guess, of course, but clarity is better.

ReputationRep:
    One can guess, of course, but clarity is better.
    Read above.

ReputationRep:
    Best example is men are assertive, women are aggressive
    Are they? All of them? All the time? You may not have met many. I have found that both men and women can be aggressive, assertive, weak in equal measure.

ReputationRep:
    Read above.
    Stop using autocorrect.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Looks here Good Bloke, someone who was able to see it meant to say is instead of isn't.

Anyway, because language has an influence on how we think. Best example is men are assertive, women are aggressive or even straight up *****es. If you are interested, google gendered language.
    I'm assuming this is a case of mistaken identity since there is a Good Bloke also in this discussion?

But I'll chip in anyway...
    Language does have an influence on how we think and gendered language is a legitimate thing, but I don't think that "guy" is a reasonable example. It is commonly used to refer to people of either sex/ any gender and there is no significant negative connotation to saying it.
    Something like"sweetie" or "love" can easily be used in a derogatory sense and I could get behind an argument against people using those words, but guy doesn't really have that potential and certainly not in a targeted way (like sweetie is often used against women".

The issue here is with how some people are seeing the word, not how it's used and frankly it's not at all necessary for people to change common speech for the sake of some sensitive people's emotions.
    It is entirely that some people choose to see guy as a gendered word despite common use. It's not that it is sometimes used in a derogatory was and there is confusion related to that. The most reasonable solution is for people to just stop seeing it as a gendered word when frankly it isn't.

Language evolves and although "guy" may have previously been a gendered word it isn't now. There's no reason to cling to an old definition when all it's doing is upsetting yourself and making you see non existent harm in the word.
    Frankly I think anybody who has an issue with the word is looking for confrontation where there is none either out of insecurity or aggression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catsmeow_at_me)
    Why does it matter? Everyone knows 'guy's' means a group of people as well as an actual 'guy'.
    That is so true

ReputationRep:
    They do it in Spanish too and French
    If you want to say "them" about a mixed group of people you say ellos and in French you say ils. When ellos can also mean those males and same for ils being plural for il which is he or it ❤

ReputationRep:
    sup "fam"

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys and g'day mate! How's it going?

ReputationRep:
    I use this all the time and I can generally not give two shits about what people like you think about it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Are they? All of them? All the time? You may not have met many. I have found that both men and women can be aggressive, assertive, weak in equal measure.
    Quite clearly that is a reference to the fact how men and women are often described, how different language is used. Don't be daft on purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    No I'll keep on saying it. Not everything in this world is offensive so stop trying to make everything something to be offended by.
    Were all used to saying "Hi guys". Yes i get that if may be offensive to some girls......but im a girl myself and im used to hearing it and havve no problem

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.