Hey girls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    Hey girls

Wotcher mate.

ReputationRep:
    It's the epitome of white privilege

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
      No I'll keep on saying it. Not everything in this world is offensive so stop trying to make everything something to be offended by.
      There is a limit to everything , just draw a line :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Faye__1996)
      Hi EVERYONE (not just guys...)

Stop saying "hey guys"! Even if you mean it to be gender neutral, by definition "guy" = "a man" (Google dictionary).

Instead, please say "Hi all", "Hi everyone" etc, etc.

How would you feel if someone addressed a mix group (males / females / other) as "Hey girls"? Not so inclusive, I imagine. So please stop it!

Thanks.
      I'm a dude,He's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes. Hey!

Spoiler:
      Show

this is a song

ReputationRep:
      Hi EVERYONE (not just guys...)

Stop saying "hey guys"! Even if you mean it to be gender neutral, by definition "guy" = "a man" (Google dictionary).

Instead, please say "Hi all", "Hi everyone" etc, etc.

How would you feel if someone addressed a mix group (males / females / other) as "Hey girls"? Not so inclusive, I imagine. So please stop it!

Thanks.
      Honestly, people need to grow up. I mean all this political correctness and banning things because someone might be offended is stupid.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      I've heard this argument before, but it feels a bit weightless... Though, if a new generic group descriptor comes along that doesn't sound unbearably corny, folksy or formal I'd use it.

(Original post by joyoustele)
      I'm a dude,He's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes. Hey!

Spoiler:
      Show

this is a song

Oh man I haven't listened to Less than Jake in FOREVER

ReputationRep:
      Nobody gonna point out that if you trace the etymology of these words, they generally show that using 'man' as meaning 'human' is the older and more original form?

So go back to old English and we had three words; mann (person/human), wer / wermann (male) and wif/ wifmann (woman). Over time, and thanks to the influence of French, wifmann became the modern 'woman', and mann and wermann merged into one modern word 'man'. (Wer survived in words like werewolf however). The usage of 'man' in words like mankind and similar is lexically speaking nothing to do with the male gender, not grammatically, historically, nor etymologically.

You have to decide to find it offensive, because the evidence simply doesn't back it up. Even the name of this species, human, in English shows its connection with the old english word 'mann', and yet somehow isn't sexist.

The sapir-whorf hypothesis has been largely disproved and discredited. Our thoughts are not determined by the grammar of our language, nor is the reverse true. Grammar is not inherently sexist. Whilst words can change meaning dynamically and organically, that doesn't mean we should undertake social engineering projects to try and make the language fit some political ethos. Moreover, tackling real sexism around the world and at home should be the priority, not virtue signalling by getting upset at innocuous and utterly inoffensive word-choice.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by yudothis)
      Great to see you can tell feminists what the real issues are.
      don't twist my words and make stuff up. "hey guys" is not an equality issue, pay gaps between men and women ARE an issue. go make your retarded comments somewhere else

ReputationRep:
      I'm sorry if "hey guys" offends you but I think that to go and tell everyone not to do something is a bit extra, like, I grew up with this phrase why should I change that. It doesn't mean I'm referring to just "guys" you know. If I happen to come across some one that is offended by it then I would apologise but it hasn't happened yet.
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Cor395)
      don't twist my words and make stuff up. "hey guys" is not an equality issue, pay gaps between men and women ARE an issue. go make your retarded comments somewhere else
      Not twisting anything. Just pointed out what you did. And did again.

ReputationRep:
      Last post, still scores of people regurgitating "if you are offended by that...". No one said it's offensive. You just show your own ignorance on the matter.

ReputationRep:
      Not twisting anything. Just pointed out what you did. And did again.
      you're gonna have to point it out again.

ReputationRep:
      Last post, still scores of people regurgitating "if you are offended by that...". No one said it's offensive. You just show your own ignorance on the matter.
      As have you, but fortunately some more intelligent people have come along to straighten things out.

ReputationRep:
      I wouldn't care.

ReputationRep:
      Name:  Screenshot_20171104-002743.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  222.3 KB
      They can be used in mixed sex conversations too.

ReputationRep:
      This is why trump was elected,

I will not change my ways for the smallest yet loudest (and most annoying) social group, fuelled with the need for attention. I also address a group of women with "hey guys". So no its not sexist. Their are 2 genders, grow up and read some basic biology.

ReputationRep:
      It's like MANkind, dogs are a MANs best friend. You say definitions change but so do the way we think as a society (I hope). Obviously when man-kind, 'man' (plural) was adopted, men were considered the superior gender. Thankfully now due to feminism etc people are finally recognising that all genders are equal. SO we should refer to all people as humankind NOT mankind. It is not inclusive of anyone who does not identify as a man.

Also, saying hey 'guys' may be offensive to anyone who does not identify as a guy. For example, if someone is transitioning male > female they may even take offense to this. Why is it okay for a group to be addressed by 'guys' instead of 'girls'? It is automatically implying you're addressing the guys more than the girls. And if 'guys' is gender neutral (as you all say) why is 'girls' not gender neutral? Walk up to your non female identifying colleagues / friends etc and announce 'hey girls!' and I bet they laugh.
      May, might,possibly, theoretically...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SASASPIRER)
      Hey guys, this is Austin.
      Hey Austin this is guys
      guys hey is this austin
      is this hey guys austin
      austin guys hey this is

Common comments you'll often find on his ****ing videos.

ReputationRep:
      'Hello everyone' is prejudiced against people that have multiple personalities or identify as everytwo.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.