Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does study abroad with Erasmus improve your degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in doing a journalism degree and in my third/second year going to study abroad with Erasmus for one year.
    Just wondering if the study abroad option improves your degree career prospects, and do you get the title of for e.g. Journalism (international)? I read this somewhere.
    Would you have better career prospects if you wanted to work abroad in the future for example, if you learnt Spanish and spent a year studying at a partner university in Madrid?
    Thank you guys
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Leila1997)
    I am interested in doing a journalism degree and in my third/second year going to study abroad with Erasmus for one year.
    Just wondering if the study abroad option improves your degree career prospects, and do you get the title of for e.g. Journalism (international)? I read this somewhere.
    Would you have better career prospects if you wanted to work abroad in the future for example, if you learnt Spanish and spent a year studying at a partner university in Madrid?
    Thank you guys
    Study or work abroad is a great addition to your CV - it's unlikely to change your degree title though.

You might want to check with the universities that you're interested in - most have now had to withdraw from Erasmus due to brexit but they'll normally still have partnerships available for placements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Study or work abroad is a great addition to your CV - it's unlikely to change your degree title though.

You might want to check with the universities that you're interested in - most have now had to withdraw from Erasmus due to brexit but they'll normally still have partnerships available for placements.
    Hello, thank you for that.
    I have noticed that Erasmus have added a Brexit update as of (29/09/2017) stating The National Agency strongly supports continued full membership of the programme for the UK through to 2020 as planned, under the proposed Brexit implementation period, so that at least 250,000 people across the UK have the chance to study, train or volunteer abroad, and that UK organisations can continue to collaborate on international projects.
    Just to let you know
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Leila1997)
    Hello, thank you for that.
    I have noticed that Erasmus have added a Brexit update as of (29/09/2017) stating The National Agency strongly supports continued full membership of the programme for the UK through to 2020 as planned, under the proposed Brexit implementation period, so that at least 250,000 people across the UK have the chance to study, train or volunteer abroad, and that UK organisations can continue to collaborate on international projects.
    Just to let you know
    I know Erasmus are supporting full membership - that doesn't help with the fact that many universities have closed or are closing their erasmus partnerships. As I said though this doesn't mean that they don't still have partnerships available - just a warning that you need to talk about spending a semester/year abroad (under any partnership scheme) rather than limiting it to erasmus when you ask questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I know Erasmus are supporting full membership - that doesn't help with the fact that many universities have closed or are closing their erasmus partnerships. As I said though this doesn't mean that they don't still have partnerships available - just a warning that you need to talk about spending a semester/year abroad (under any partnership scheme) rather than limiting it to erasmus when you ask questions.
    Ahhh I see. Yes I will definitely do that :yy: thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.