Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doing a Masters in New Zealand, anybody have any experience there? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Good Morning everyone

So i just got my acceptance letter to start a Masters at Victoria University in Wellington in the Spring and I was wondering if anyone else, by any chance, has studied there and has any tips/advice/stories etc

ReputationRep:
    I live in New Zealand, Wellington is a **** city in my opinion, it rains heaps is windy as hell also the general populace is very hip and associated with left-wing politics, although you may very much like this. Its generally quite a modern city in social terms.

That said, there are a few nice beaches and it is a seaside city, oriental bay etc

I would advise you to travel the rest of the country in your spare time especially the South Island towards Queenstown the scenery is gorgeous and theres plenty of fun activities to do.

I've met several people from Victoria University, most people i know there study social sciences etc its more of humanities school. Also our former prime minister Sir Geoffrey Palmer lectures there so you might bump into him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElvinNZ)
    I live in New Zealand, Wellington is a **** city in my opinion, it rains heaps is windy as hell also the general populace is very hip and associated with left-wing politics, although you may very much like this. Its generally quite a modern city in social terms.

That said, there are a few nice beaches and it is a seaside city, oriental bay etc

I would advise you to travel the rest of the country in your spare time especially the South Island towards Queenstown the scenery is gorgeous and theres plenty of fun activities to do.

I've met several people from Victoria University, most people i know there study social sciences etc its more of humanities school. Also our former prime minister Sir Geoffrey Palmer lectures there so you might bump into him.
    Thanks for the reply
    Yar i've been there a few times and always found the moniker 'windy welly' very apt for the place but i must say i always found it a nicer city than AKL for whatever reason aha
    I dont suppose you could tell me the better areas of the city to live in and how much they usually cost in rent?

ReputationRep:
    If you want a life then just go for the CBD, its also more convenient as its fairly close to the uni campus, although this would cost more than flatting with other people in the more remote suburbs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.