Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m looking to study sports medicine at postgrad level. I didn’t get enough A*”s to study medicine full on BUT I have found sport and exercise medical science degree at Exeter. But I’m struggling to decide because Exeter was my least fave out of al my uni’s but it’s the only uni in the country that does sport and exercise med science. I prefer Birmingham for just sport and exercise science, but shouldn’t it all be about the degree? I feel like whatever i choose to do I’m making the wrong decision because Exeter has my course, but i think i’d Enjoy birmingham more. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    If you mean A* at GCSE- it's important to know certain med schools- imperial, Newcastle, Sheffield, Manchester. GCSE give no advantage- and so as long as you have minimum it won't matter.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePursuitOfAs)
    If you mean A* at GCSE- it's important to know certain med schools- imperial, Newcastle, Sheffield, Manchester. GCSE give no advantage- and so as long as you have minimum it won't matter.
    My school told me I wouldn’t stand a chance of getting into med school with my GCSE profile. So even if I wanted too I wouldn’t stand a chance now.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked more closely into the courses? It could be that they're basically the same thing but with a slightly different name.

Also, I don't know much about your situation, but if you know you want to study medicine at some point and have decent grades it would almost certainly be better to apply for medicine now instead of first doing an undergrad degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StationToStation)
    Have you looked more closely into the courses? It could be that they're basically the same thing but with a slightly different name.

Also, I don't know much about your situation, but if you know you want to study medicine at some point and have decent grades it would almost certainly be better to apply for medicine now instead of first doing an undergrad degree.
    Sport & exercise medical science is taught my the med school and has medicine modules but the others don’t. I’m predicted A*AA at A-Level and got 1 A*, 5A’s and 4 B”s at GCSE and my school told me I wasn’t a candidate. So I haven’t done work experience or the UKCAT or anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyneavepurser)
    Sport & exercise medical science is taught my the med school and has medicine modules but the others don’t. I’m predicted A*AA at A-Level and got 1 A*, 5A’s and 4 B”s at GCSE and my school told me I wasn’t a candidate. So I haven’t done work experience or the UKCAT or anything
    Oh ok.

It's a shame your teachers told you you wouldn't be able to apply for medicine - your GCSEs are in the low end but getting into medicine would still be definitely doable if you just applied to non-GCSE heavy unis! If you're sure you want to be a doctor I would maybe consider taking a gap year and then applying for medicine as graduate entry medicine is much more competitive plus it takes longer and is more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Considering your circumstances I'd definitely go for Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyneavepurser)
    My school told me I wouldn’t stand a chance of getting into med school with my GCSE profile. So even if I wanted too I wouldn’t stand a chance now.

Well for this year youve missed the deadline, but I can assure you there are unis where your GCSEs arnt looked at (besides for minimum requirements). Newcastle, Sheffield, Barts, Manchester to name a few. For those unis, a high UKCAT score is what counts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.