Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

School installing CCTV in toilets 'creepy' and 'intrusive' Watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    A secondary school in the West Midlands has been criticised for installing CCTV cameras in the toilets.

The school, Summerhill School in Kingswinford, said that this was to reduce bullying and vandalism, but many children now feel worried about using the toilets.

The school said "no cameras are directed towards sensitive areas including cubicles or urinals". A parent said: "A friend of mine said her daughter came home in tears because she was too scared to use the loo all day and she nearly wet herself in class. It's so intrusive and creepy."

You can read the story here.

I think this is pretty awful. Children need their privacy just like anybody else, and there must be a better way to reduce bullying here. What do you think? Intrusive or for their own good?

ReputationRep:
    there is a strong ewwwww factor here.

i hope they are putting cameras behind the bike sheds also :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    An excellent idea. Bullies target their victims wherever they think they can get away with it, so this will flush them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    so this will flush them out.
    Best choice of wording I've seen today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Best choice of wording I've seen today
    I'm on a roll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I'm on a roll.
    Of the kind that is found in toilets?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they don't check the cameras unless an incident has happened and warrants inspection

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Probably works well as a deterrent, as long as they're not focused on private areas.

I think that the camera there would deter me from going in at all though!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure many politicians will support spying on kids in the toilets

ReputationRep:
    My school have "open toilets". So there's doors on cubicles, but there's no door to access the toilet area. You can hear everything and it doesn't make bullying or vandalism any better.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    My school have "open toilets". So there's doors on cubicles, but there's no door to access the toilet area. You can hear everything and it doesn't make bullying or vandalism any better.
    Interesting to have a voice from a school where something similar is happening. Schools need to actually deal with bullies, rather than making everyone feel like they're under surveillance. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Interesting to have a voice from a school where something similar is happening. Schools need to actually deal with bullies, rather than making everyone feel like they're under surveillance. :eek:
    I hated going to the loo at school, especially when I was on my period. Tampons and pads are already loud enough without having no door to block the sound. It really wasn't a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    My school already deterred us from using the loos by making them absolute cesspits, so if we had cameras as well nobody would pee ever.

If they're not aimed at private areas like in cubicles and stuff, it won't even reduce vandalism much seeing as most graffiti happens inside the cubicle rather than outside of it.

ReputationRep:
    In a society where almost everyone is equipped with a high resolution camera, this doesn't surprise me.

ReputationRep:
    If it was aimed at non sensitve areas I understand but not otherwise.

Did hear from some lads at college that they had cameras in the changing rooms at their school, and that was how they caught a teacher having a sexual affair with a student

ReputationRep:
    My school has cameras in the bathrooms, but they are open bathrooms. Not sure about the other normal bathrooms because I never use them! There are usually girls hanging out in there looking in the mirror etc... :P

ReputationRep:
    I can see the next headline.

"Deviant teacher hooks up school toilet cam to live voyeur site"

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think its a good idea. All sorts of things can go on in the toilets. Some students self-harm in the toilets which is obviously something school staff need to keep an eye on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    there is a strong ewwwww factor here.

i hope they are putting cameras behind the bike sheds also :fuhrer:
    Our bike sheds were made out of clear perspex for this reason!

(Original post by Fox Corner)
    A secondary school in the West Midlands has been criticised for installing CCTV cameras in the toilets.

The school, Summerhill School in Kingswinford, said that this was to reduce bullying and vandalism, but many children now feel worried about using the toilets.

The school said "no cameras are directed towards sensitive areas including cubicles or urinals". A parent said: "A friend of mine said her daughter came home in tears because she was too scared to use the loo all day and she nearly wet herself in class. It's so intrusive and creepy."

You can read the story here.

I think this is pretty awful. Children need their privacy just like anybody else, and there must be a better way to reduce bullying here. What do you think? Intrusive or for their own good?
    I don't think this is news - we had this at my school back in 2007! It was to stop people smoking in the toilets and it worked, though I think people also went to the toilet less and that also had the positive side effect of the toilets getting trashed/blocked less. The cameras could see directly into the cubicles on the end but the other ones were fine (we assumed).
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Can imagine they did this so they could drop the "urine trouble!" line.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.