Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

School installing CCTV in toilets 'creepy' and 'intrusive' Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    A secondary school in the West Midlands has been criticised for installing CCTV cameras in the toilets.

The school, Summerhill School in Kingswinford, said that this was to reduce bullying and vandalism, but many children now feel worried about using the toilets.

The school said "no cameras are directed towards sensitive areas including cubicles or urinals". A parent said: "A friend of mine said her daughter came home in tears because she was too scared to use the loo all day and she nearly wet herself in class. It's so intrusive and creepy."

You can read the story here.

I think this is pretty awful. Children need their privacy just like anybody else, and there must be a better way to reduce bullying here. What do you think? Intrusive or for their own good?
    Trust it to be in the West Midlands (I live actually quite close to there- and sometimes the things I hear don't even surprise me anymore XD)

ReputationRep:
    It's the way we are going. Stand by for body implanted sensors.

ReputationRep:
    My school has CCTV in toilets... You can't blink without being watched :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilio Ramirez)
    My school has CCTV in toilets... You can't blink without being watched :P
    Do you think they want to watch you in the toilets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NPOWA)
    Do you think they want to watch you in the toilets?
    Tbh I'm sure that they don't watch us in the toilets... Unless an incident in the toilets had occurred and been reported to the staff, then they investigate the matter more closely (CCTV).
    For e.g. an incident between 2 boys took place (was nothing too serious), but everyone in the toilet was punished for not interfering as they were seen in the CCTV simply ignoring what was happening.
    I think it's a good idea they have it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If it's in the toilets as oppose to in the actual cubicle then it makes some level of sense, in that it would be easy for bullies to get away with things etc there. I can see why it would be considered intrusive too though.

ReputationRep:
    My High School already had them in the toilets lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilio Ramirez)
    Tbh I'm sure that they don't watch us in the toilets... Unless an incident in the toilets had occurred and been reported to the staff, then they investigate the matter more closely (CCTV).
    For e.g. an incident between 2 boys took place (was nothing too serious), but everyone in the toilet was punished for not interfering as they were seen in the CCTV simply ignoring what was happening.
    I think it's a good idea they have it.
    I feel you can sense the school is simlly doing its best. CCTV enabled an opening up of the incident you described for discusion and understanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    An excellent idea. Bullies target their victims wherever they think they can get away with it, so this will flush them out.
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Best choice of wording I've seen today
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I'm on a roll.
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Of the kind that is found in toilets?
    haha the flush one was good
    but the toilet roll one. nope that was tearable.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wtf...

ReputationRep:
    Lol i guess there wont be anymore wet tissues all across the ceiling anymore
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Both my secondary school and sixth form had no doors on the actual toilet itself, but rather just had a row of stalls, so that whilst students had privacy within the stalls themselves, once they were out of the stalls they were on full view of anyone walking past the toilets, and on a camera. With no urinals at all, this meant all students had privacy, but bullying in the toilets were impossible.

It can be done, but it just needs to be handled properly.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps instead of doing this creepy stuff we could have tougher penalties for bullying such as permanent exclusion and juvenile prison sentences without any warnings or second chances like we have today. It’s the soft attitude that is causing this.

ReputationRep:
    My college has security cameras with a note on the wall saying its there to protect you, they aren't pointed towards the cubicles tho, more towards the sinks and entrance door

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully it will flush out bullying.

ReputationRep:
    the thing is my school has cctv in the toilets but they are only aimed at the sink area. From seeing the camera i can immediately tell theres no chance the camera can see into any cubicles so as long as theres no dodgy factor here or chance it could be dangerous to the kids i think its fine. Also not to mention most bullying does occur in toilets since there are usually no cameras there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Creepy.
    If you want to reduce bullying you should just have a reasonable policy for dealing with those behaviours. A camera in the loos may show that bullying is happening, but it doesn't fix the issue. Besides, if you want to know if a kid is being bullied just make it easy for them to tell you.
    And as far as vandalism goes it's not worth worrying your students like that just to prevent some loo roll on the ceiling.
    Yeah it's not going to be capturing anything disturbing, but it's in a private area and it's going to feel like an invasion of privacy no matter where it's pointed.
    That's coming from a possibly quite privileged view though. I've not been in a situation where bullying or vandalism has been all that serious. I guess it could be more necessary in some places.
    the thing is many kids will never tell anyone about being bullied no matter how many resources are put in place for them. And as for the punishments idea there are some kids who are stupid enough to not care what trouble they get into. I know at my school and many others in my area the guys dont care if they get expelled or stuff since their parents dont care too much either. Usually the worst kids have equally bad parents, making them not care for consequences.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.