Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of Nottingham university in October, simply because I really didn't like the university or the place at all, and want to reapply for a different course for next year at another university. I was studying chemistry but I now would like to do pharmacology as the course looks more suited to what I want. I have one university in particular in mind where I would like to study next year, and my A level grades do meet the entry requirements.I am unsure whether to write in my PS the reasons why I dropped out or whether to just leave it as I don't want it to affect my chances for next year. Any help? I am also thinking about re sitting one of my a levels as well, as I would simply like a higher grade but I am not sure whether to also put that on my UCAS form?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about applying as a mature student but my school told us to leave out negative stuff (such as dropping out of uni) from our personal statements and get our referees to include it in our reference. Your personal statement should be super positive and focus on the good stuff ie what made you change from Chem to Pharmacology and your reference should include any relevant struggles and how they've made you into a stronger person. I'm afraid I don't know at all about your resits though, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonstrousColonel)
    I don't know much about applying as a mature student but my school told us to leave out negative stuff (such as dropping out of uni) from our personal statements and get our referees to include it in our reference. Your personal statement should be super positive and focus on the good stuff ie what made you change from Chem to Pharmacology and your reference should include any relevant struggles and how they've made you into a stronger person. I'm afraid I don't know at all about your resits though, sorry
    Thank you! Only problem is the word limit on my personal statement, because my aim was to use pretty much all my personal statement from last year, as I actually did an EPQ and work experience more focused on pharmacology than chemistry. Would I still need to write why I changed even though this is the case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabrielleL727)
    I dropped out of Nottingham university in October, simply because I really didn't like the university or the place at all, and want to reapply for a different course for next year at another university. I was studying chemistry but I now would like to do pharmacology as the course looks more suited to what I want. I have one university in particular in mind where I would like to study next year, and my A level grades do meet the entry requirements.I am unsure whether to write in my PS the reasons why I dropped out or whether to just leave it as I don't want it to affect my chances for next year. Any help? I am also thinking about re sitting one of my a levels as well, as I would simply like a higher grade but I am not sure whether to also put that on my UCAS form?
    What is the new university you want to go too? I would put it in your PS or contact the new universities admissions team and see if they want you to put it in your PS

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Only problem is the word limit on my personal statement, because my aim was to use pretty much all my personal statement from last year, as I actually did an EPQ and work experience more focused on pharmacology than chemistry. Would I still need to write why I changed even though this is the case?
    It would still be good to mention it, though as you have experience in pharmacology you only need to write a sentence or two about how you love chemistry but find pharmacology the perfect course for whatever reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonstrousColonel)
    It would still be good to mention it, though as you have experience in pharmacology you only need to write a sentence or two about how you love chemistry but find pharmacology the perfect course for whatever reason
    Okay thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NKSSSSS09)
    What is the new university you want to go too? I would put it in your PS or contact the new universities admissions team and see if they want you to put it in your PS
    I would like to go to Bath, I will email them but the problem is when I left Nottingham I emailed the university about 4 other courses that I was looking into, so I am worried that this will go against me as it looks like I am not 100% sure of what I want to study as I was looking into lots of other courses?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to go to Bath, I will email them but the problem is when I left Nottingham I emailed the university about 4 other courses that I was looking into, so I am worried that this will go against me as it looks like I am not 100% sure of what I want to study as I was looking into lots of other courses?
    You just need to prove to them that the course you're choosing is the right one. You need to think hard about what you want to do... I don't think the email will go against you as its just 'enquiring'. You should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NKSSSSS09)
    You just need to prove to them that the course you're choosing is the right one. You need to think hard about what you want to do... I don't think the email will go against you as its just 'enquiring'. You should be fine!
    I have emailed them saying I want to apply for next year and about my situation regarding dropping out. I am pretty certain on pharmacology after looking more into the modules etc and the differences between all the courses I was looking at. Just fingers crossed that it all goes okay.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.