Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for history at Fitzwilliam and therefore need to pick two pieces of written work for november 8th. However, they haven't specified any real details regarding word count etc.

Firstly, would it be incredibly stupid to send an essay from another subject that was highly marked and secondly, would a 5000 word essay annoy them rather than pique their interest?
    Many thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahir1807)
    I am applying for history at Fitzwilliam and therefore need to pick two pieces of written work for november 8th. However, they haven't specified any real details regarding word count etc.

Firstly, would it be incredibly stupid to send an essay from another subject that was highly marked and secondly, would a 5000 word essay annoy them rather than pique their interest?
    Many thanks guys
    Hey - I'm applying to history at Homerton, so in a similar boat.

All colleges have specific requirements as to what they want sent in, but I think for history they're usually always going to want a history essay (on King's website they emphasise that even if you don't do history at A-Level you should write a history essay to send).

I'd say email your college and ask them your questions. I emailed Homerton asking if they were against me sending my coursework draft and they said sending an extract with any feedback given is okay, and I know another applicant for a different college who is allowed to send an extract of his history-related EPQ.

Also, this is just general advice from what I've heard from teachers, but choose work to send in that you want to talk about, rather than worrying about if it is a high mark and all, if you are predicted high marks and did well at AS they know you are good academically so you don't need to prove anything with your essays other than that you are interested in the subject if they bring it up at interview.

Hope this helped :)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice.

I'll probably stick to two good history essays then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.