Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Final year at University GYG Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody!!! My name is Ella and I've decided to take part in Grow Your Grades.

So a little bit about me. I am currently in my final year at Liverpool John Moores Unveristy (LJMU) studying creative writing.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I am originally from Oxford. For my A Levels I studied Geography (D), Drama (B) and Biology (D). I decided to study Equine Science at Warwickshire College but by February 2015 I realised the course wasn’t what I wanted to do. I left and in September 2015 went to LJMU for Creative Writing (quite a change in direction). At first I was worried about going but I have really enjoyed my time in Liverpool.

So now I am in my final year. Currently, I have not quite decided what I am going to do after University. I think I will do a masters but will possibly take a year out to decide what to study. My overall aim is to graduate with a 2.1

Why I want to do this:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I am hoping this will keep me motivated throughout my final year. What I find most difficult with my course is the lack of contact hours. I am only in 6 hours a week currently. However with my course it can’t really be taught and for every hour in a lecture, we are supposed to spend 3 extra outside. In total I should be doing around 18 hours a week, at the moment I’m only averaging around 11. So it’s up to me to put the effort in and make the most of my time.

What I'm going to do:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I am planning on just taking it a week at a time. I often find when my goals are too big I struggle to achieve them and feel pressured and stressed when I don’t.

I have noticed the jump from second to third year more than the jump from sixth form to first/ first to second. This is the first year that I have gone home to reading week (which is from the 6th to 10th November) but I am going home from the 3rd to the 7th for a bit of a break then I’ll still have some time off afterwards to do some more work in the library. I am just going to get a little bit of work done each day.

My plan for this blog is to upload a couple of times a week to show where I'm studying/ what I'm doing/ and what I'm doing to relax after studying.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently making my way through a packet of Yum Yum's (being home for me means eating loads of food that I'd normally feel guilty about buying) and watching Gogglebox celebrity special.

I've decided now would be a good time to think about my goals for reading week:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I have two assignments in December which I am feeling pretty on top of so I'm mainly going to be continuing to work towards them so I have time to spend editing and redrafting.

1) Prose: I'm up to 700 words, 2,300 to go. By the end of the week I would have liked to get to around 2,000 and to have my first 700 words reedited so I am ready to workshop it when I return to uni.

2) Screenwriting: I have a ten-page treatment to write. Treatments have always been the hardest bit for me. A lot of editing will be needed for me to get the tone and style of the treatment right. My plan is to just get my ideas down and not worry too much how it sounds at the moment. For reading week I would like at least 2 pages of treatment complete (and edited) so I am happy to show it in a workshop.

3) For both these modules I have to keep a workshop log. Although I have kept this updated I think I will write a reflection on how I'm finding everything so far and how my work is going. Just so it's easier to look back on.

4) I have 4 kraft books that I need to read. I normally don't read them from cover to cover but rather pick out the bits I need to work on. I feel this really works for me because I am a slow reader and there are some bits that I feel really confident on but others that I still need work on (dialogue/tone/etc)

5) Not so much directly uni related but I need to hand my CV out in my home tome so hopefully I'll have a job for Christmas. I am also going to try and apply for some work experience in Liverpool.

6) and finally,... I have a couple of books that I have been reading for pleasure but I haven't been giving enough time to. I want to finish Animal Farm as it's not a very long book and to get a couple more chapters into The Lord of The Rings, (I've wanted to read it for ages but keep putting it off because it's such a big book!)

I feel like all of this is achievable. I do get quite distracted at home as obviously I want to spend time with my family but I'm going to try and not stress myself out too much as I will still have 5 days when I go back to Liverpool before uni starts.

ReputationRep:
    Yay another uni student! I look forward to reading your updates
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellai)
    x
    I'm really looking forward to reading your blog! I'm an UG too and I never even considered that I could get involved with GYG as well. After reading your blog, I'm almost definitely going to start my own please keep us updated on your progress and let us know when you decide what you're going to do when you've finished your undergrad degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocCheesecake)
    Yay another uni student! I look forward to reading your updates

Aw thanks! I see you're doing GYG too! I'll definitely check yours out, I love hearing what other uni students are up to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    I'm really looking forward to reading your blog! I'm an UG too and I never even considered that I could get involved with GYG as well. After reading your blog, I'm almost definitely going to start my own please keep us updated on your progress and let us know when you decide what you're going to do when you've finished your undergrad degree
    Thankyou! Yeah this is my first year doing it! That's great, I'll be sure to check yours out!

ReputationRep:
    So these past two days haven’t been that productive but I have been keeping busy so I don’t feel too bad about my lack of work and this week is also about having a bit of a break too.

I have managed to write about 500 words for my treatment and read a couple of chapters of my books. I have also found a couple of possible places for volunteering/ work experience so it's not too bad.

Not work related but I took my dogs for a walk, I always find going for a walk such a good way to have a break from revision and I also treated myself to a bath (I have a shower at uni so it’s also nice to come home and use )

Name:  698F550D-5FD3-4AFD-8319-C792D6D3F7B4.jpg.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  36.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    So, there has been some slight change in plans. I am now not going back to university until Friday (10th). I have a consolation on Thursday as I’m having to have my wisdom teeth (all 4 of them) removed quickly. At the moment, they’re not causing pain luckily but there is a bit of a rush to have them taken out.

I am also having to come home earlier for Christmas so I can get them removed on the 7th December, my university doesn’t break up until the 15th. So, I will be missing a week of library/ workshop time. This means I’m just going to have to manage my time carefully as I have two assignment due on 12th and 15th December. I will have 4 weeks which is hopefully enough time with organisation so I have something to show in the workshops and things to put online that my peers can give me feedback on.

My plan is hopefully to get the assignments complete and strongly edited so that when I’m home for Christmas I can just give them a quick read to double check spelling and hand them in.

Today I’m going to work more on my treatment and I have also finished reading Animal farm.

ReputationRep:
    Plans have changed again, I'm now not going back to university until Sunday! I normally don't go home for reading week and this week has been proof why. I really don't work well anywhere but the library. I've been feeling really guilty about it but I always feel bad at home for just sitting around (even though if I am doing work). I think this week I will try to keep up with my reading but potentially try to catch up next week by doing more in the evening. I'm hoping this will work better as at the moment I'm just feeling constantly guilty about how unmotivated I am but I'll just have this week as a break instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellai)
    Plans have changed again, I'm now not going back to university until Sunday! I normally don't go home for reading week and this week has been proof why. I really don't work well anywhere but the library. I've been feeling really guilty about it but I always feel bad at home for just sitting around (even though if I am doing work). I think this week I will try to keep up with my reading but potentially try to catch up next week by doing more in the evening. I'm hoping this will work better as at the moment I'm just feeling constantly guilty about how unmotivated I am but I'll just have this week as a break instead.
    If you have a library nearby your home, you could try going there to get some work done. Sometimes it helps just to get out of the house

ReputationRep:
    Okay so things have been pretty hectic.

I got back to Liverpool on Sunday. On Monday I had a lecture and I showed what I have of my treatment so far. Everyone seemed to like it and said it was a good idea and I had some really useful feedback. I always get a little bit nervous before showing my work as I’m really worried that no one will like it. On Tuesday I woke up in the night with a really bad throat and it turns out I have tonsillitis.

I had a prose lecture today, but I filled in an absence form for it. Although I hate missing lectures I feel I can get some work done instead and hopefully start feeling better. ]
    Luckily today wasn’t my week to workshop my prose, I have been putting it off as I hate having to read my work out loud (in screenwriting the lecturer reads it out for you, so there’s less pressure) but I know it will be really helpful so I’m just going to keep editing my work and practicing reading it out so I’m ready for next week.

My goals for this week are to get my screenplay to 3 pages and for my first story to be edited and to start my second story so I’m on 1,200 words. I didn’t get as much work done in reading week as I hoped so I’m just going to focus on catching up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.