Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the biggest issues within society today? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Society isn't perfect and it probably never will be, however what are some issues that really need tackling and are long overdue?

ReputationRep:
    There's a long list

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't even know where to start
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald777O)
    There's a long list
    (Original post by 408655)
    I wouldn't even know where to start
    How about listing one or two things you think are the most important or which you care a lot about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    How about listing one or two things you think are the most important or which you care a lot about
    How schools deal with bullying and teachers who are bullies.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Overprotectiveness of parents.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald777O)
    How schools deal with bullying and teachers who are bullies.
    Bullying is definitely something which needs addressing more harshly. I've not come across a teacher who is a bully though, if this is something you've experienced you know there are people you can report them to.

ReputationRep:
    - Culture and attitudes - People being intolerant and prejudicial in a multicultural society

- Crime and violence - It ruins society and tears humanity apart

I want to live in a country that has very little of these. I want to go live somewhere that will make me happy in my life

ReputationRep:
    Nando's isn't cheeky anymore

ReputationRep:
    Bullying is definitely something which needs addressing more harshly. I've not come across a teacher who is a bully though, if this is something you've experienced you know there are people you can report them to.
    I remember every year we'd watch the same old video on bullying every year because it's part of the national curriculum and nothing that actually helps any students. Total rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Political correctness.

Everyone is offended by everything.

ReputationRep:
    Obesity.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Random 4 items:
    1. Our over-sensitive or "snowflake" generation.
    2. Hypocrisy and double-standard.
    3. Inequality, whether in gender, race, religion or political views.
    4. Lack of discipline and short-termism of people.

ReputationRep:
    Bullying is definitely a big one.

ReputationRep:
    The biggest problem is that our political liberal-democratic regime is going to fall apart: After decades of the world becoming freer, this trend has now reverted. Democracy doesn't seem to be everyone's preferred system anymore. Populism is rising, as well as nationalism, and support for closed national borders. People are disillusioned about representative parliamentary systems. Strong leaders with a very limited appreciation of freedom and democracy are rising worldwide. Integration of foreign cultures in Western countries has failed, producing social conflict and terrorism. The EU has failed to secure an outer Schengen border and growing popular discontent for migration from Africa and the Middle East will eventually cause the Union to fall apart. People's patience for inequality is coming to an end, and the relatively reduced welfare state isn't exactly appeasing them.

Mala tempora currunt sed peiora parantur...

Since these were a mix of political issues, here is a list of strictly societal ones:
    -(people being sick of) inequality
    -failed integration of immigrants and their offspring
    -(il)liberal leftism (successfully) calling for limits on freedom of expression
    -terrorism
    -widespread hypocrisy
    -the decline of political ideologies and morality
    -post-truth
    -devotion to the Church of Money
    -popular culture + media = widespread ignorance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Overprotectiveness of parents.
    a good thing

ReputationRep:
    climate change
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Mental Health has to be the issue of the decade for young people.

Concepts like identity and conscience I'm going to throw in there too as themes of many of the significant issues in society.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.