Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I have decided I want to go back to studying to be a Social worker. I will be a mature student returning to full time study after 10+ years after working in the hospitality industry.
    I have a Level 3 qualification in childcare and Education 4+ GCSE C and above and currently working to get L1/L2 Functional Skills Maths.
    Any experience from mature Social work students on the best entry route? Some of the courses I have been looking at are:
    Access to HE? Only a level 3 qualification which I all ready have.
    Fdsc wellbeing and Social Care? 2 years course but chance of entry onto Social work degree after 1st year.
    Fda Working with Children and young people? A better course to get me prepared for degree level study? Options to gain employment?
    I plan to visit my local university and HE College but I'd like some personal feed back and what's been the best for others


    It is likely that universities will want to see recent evidence of study, even though you already have a level 3 qualification. Many universities will only accept GCSE English and maths A-C/5-9/whatever it is nowadays also as I *think* this is a statutory requirement for SW courses, although don't quote me on this.

    All of those courses sound good entry routes. Personally, I'm doing an Access to HE in Social Science to get into Social Work, but they all sound relevant. I'd recommend Access courses as they get you prepared for university study, but the best thing to do is to ask the universities you're thinking of applying at for what they need specifically.

    Also, I would attempt to get some experience, either paid or voluntary, in a relevant field. I work with adults with LD's currently to help me prepare for the job, as universities will be looking at people who know what they're getting themselves into. Best of luck with your application and hope I've been some help.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.