Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I just wanted to start a thread for those of you considering studying Management here at Bath.

I’m Alice and I’m now in my second year on the 4-year Management course. Feel free to ask any questions about the course modules, the type of assessments or life at Bath in general! Also, I’m applying for placements at the moment so if you have any concerns about what this is like then quote me.

I stayed in Quads in first year and I loved it! Living on campus means that nights out at the SU are so easy. If you want to know about Bath nightlife, what it’s like to live in Quads, campus accommodation in general, or if you have concerns about finding housing in second year, I’m here to share hints and tips!

Ask away!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Alice,

I am a prospective applicant and I have actually applied to the BBA course. What particularly attracted me to Bath was the placement year and I have noticed that a few placements are offered at investment banks(JP Morgan, UBS). What I want to know is how many places are usually on offer for these particular placements and how competitive they usually tend to be? Are they mainly Back Office roles or do they encompass Front Office roles as well?

I am also slightly concerned by the fact that Bath had quite a few places available in clearing last year which was the first time in a while it happened. Couple this in with the decline in applications to Bath this year, it seems as though the standards of the university are dropping from an outside perspective. How good is the teaching in the school of management? Do you personally feel like the quality of the university is dropping?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptainArctic)
    Hi Alice,

I am a prospective applicant and I have actually applied to the BBA course. What particularly attracted me to Bath was the placement year and I have noticed that a few placements are offered at investment banks(JP Morgan, UBS). What I want to know is how many places are usually on offer for these particular placements and how competitive they usually tend to be? Are they mainly Back Office roles or do they encompass Front Office roles as well?

I am also slightly concerned by the fact that Bath had quite a few places available in clearing last year which was the first time in a while it happened. Couple this in with the decline in applications to Bath this year, it seems as though the standards of the university are dropping from an outside perspective. How good is the teaching in the school of management? Do you personally feel like the quality of the university is dropping?

Thanks

Hello

Great to hear you’ve sent off your application.

Bath has a great placement scheme and most students at the university will complete a year in industry as part of their degree which means we're all in it together. It gets you practised in advance of applying for graduate schemes and sometimes students are offered a grad place on the back of their placement.

On the BBA course, I believe you are welcome to source your own placement, however Bath has many established connections with companies who will source Bath students to fill their placements - BBA is a very well-respected course among employers. Students that have already been on placement say that they were given a lot of responsibility on projects so you will be challenged in front office roles!

In terms of how many placements are normally on offer, I am not certain of a definite number and I expect this changes year on year but I will try and find this out for you.

Investment banking is a popular choice among students and there are certainly opportunities with JPMorgan, UBS, BNY Mellon etc. which is really exciting! The placements can be very competitive as students are of a very high calibre at Bath. However, there is plenty of help regarding CVs, cover letters and interview skills to help you stand out. Employers understand not everyone has experience of working in a bank, but they are keen to see your passion for working for them and appreciate transferable skills, many of which you will gain on your course. If you are really interested in banking, I would recommend using your time at university to take up opportunities to get some finance experience – perhaps becoming a treasurer for a university society. This may help you to stand out in your applications.

Personally, I have not noticed a drop in the quality of teaching. Much like college or sixth form, there are often lecturers that you find more engaging or easier to learn from but I would say that at Bath they are all very willing to help if you ask. Most lecturers have dedicated office hours for you to speak to them about any concerns, coursework etc.

Hope this clarifies things and if you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Alice
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Bath)
    Hey guys!

I just wanted to start a thread for those of you considering studying Management here at Bath.

I’m Alice and I’m now in my second year on the 4-year Management course. Feel free to ask any questions about the course modules, the type of assessments or life at Bath in general! Also, I’m applying for placements at the moment so if you have any concerns about what this is like then quote me.

I stayed in Quads in first year and I loved it! Living on campus means that nights out at the SU are so easy. If you want to know about Bath nightlife, what it’s like to live in Quads, campus accommodation in general, or if you have concerns about finding housing in second year, I’m here to share hints and tips!

Ask away!
    Hi Alice,

Can I ask if the Management with Marketing course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), or if any of the courses from the School of Management is?

Many thanks,
    Tian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystelle)
    Hi Alice,

Can I ask if the Management with Marketing course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), or if any of the courses from the School of Management is?

Many thanks,
    Tian
    Hi Tian,

In answer to your question, the Management courses are not accredited by the CIM. However, to my knowledge, none of the degree courses are accredited.

If you were to undertake a CIM qualification when employed as a marketer, it may be the case that you will be exempt from certain aspects of the qualification, having completed these as part of your degree.

Hope this helps!

Alice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.