Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think I might have dyscalculia and I need advice. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask a question like this but I'm not sure where else to ask. I'm almost certain that I have dyscalculia. Aside from often being late I have all of the symptoms. I've always tried to ignore it but recently after starting national 5 maths it's become way too hard. I've been spending hours on homework that's only meant to take 15minutes and I've been up to 2am trying finish math homework. The amount of time I've been spending on maths is badly affecting all of my other subjects. And it's been stressing me out so much, I mean I burst into tears in the middle of my math class today. I spoke to my year head about dropping it but he said that it was too early to drop the subject and I have no real reason to drop it. I would be able to drop it if I was diagnosed with dyscalculia. (I'm not trying to fake having this as a way of trying to get out of maths) However I've already had a screening for that and dyslexia when I was 9 (I'm 16 now) The results were that I don't have it although the results did say that I have a really low attention span and that I don't understand patterns aswell as some other things. Therefore I'm not sure if I would be able to get tested for it again.
    I'm too embarrassed to ask my family although my mum who is a mental health nurse who deals with things like this also believes that I have it. And I don't really trust any of my teachers.
    Does anybody have any advice??

ReputationRep:
    You don't really have a choice but to talk to your family or your teachers. Or else how will you be reassessed.

So talk to someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie._.ee)
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask a question like this but I'm not sure where else to ask. I'm almost certain that I have dyscalculia. Aside from often being late I have all of the symptoms. I've always tried to ignore it but recently after starting national 5 maths it's become way too hard. I've been spending hours on homework that's only meant to take 15minutes and I've been up to 2am trying finish math homework. The amount of time I've been spending on maths is badly affecting all of my other subjects. And it's been stressing me out so much, I mean I burst into tears in the middle of my math class today. I spoke to my year head about dropping it but he said that it was too early to drop the subject and I have no real reason to drop it. I would be able to drop it if I was diagnosed with dyscalculia. (I'm not trying to fake having this as a way of trying to get out of maths) However I've already been tested for that and dyslexia when I was 9 (I'm 16 now) The results were that I don't have it although the results did say that I have a really low attention span and that I don't understand patterns aswell as some other things. Therefore I'm not sure if I would be able to get tested for it again.
    I'm too embarrassed to ask my family although my mum who is a mental health nurse who deals with things like this also believes that I have it. And I don't really trust any of my teachers.
    Does anybody have any advice??
    Same as me. I've got dysalculia and have been battling maths for years. Just keep trying. I was homeschooled for years before I won a scholarship to to a music school, (entry was based purely on musical ability, so for me, that was a god send). I've spent 3 consecutive years trying to get a C at maths GCSE. First I got consistent Gs whenever I did mocks or exams, then later, I got a D. That in itself was victorious to me, and right now, I'm battling my GCSE foundation in the hopes of finally, this time, getting a C. It takes time, but you really need gcse maths at C grade for a lot of university courses/apprenticeships in the UK. It helps that my maths teacher is the nicest person in the world, and the only way I could ever progress, was through private tuition. My teacher is paid by the school, and her specific teaching style makes the lessons stimulating for me. Look into maybe getting private tuition for this. Don't be embarrassed about having discalcula, you probably compensate in some other area. Just keep swimming..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Djerun)
    Same as me. I've got dysalculia and have been battling maths for years. Just keep trying. I was homeschooled for years before I won a scholarship to to a music school, (entry was based purely on musical ability, so for me, that was a god send). I've spent 3 consecutive years trying to get a C at maths GCSE. First I got consistent Gs whenever I did mocks or exams, then later, I got a D. That in itself was victorious to me, and right now, I'm battling my GCSE foundation in the hopes of finally, this time, getting a C. It takes time, but you really need gcse maths at C grade for a lot of university courses/apprenticeships in the UK. It helps that my maths teacher is the nicest person in the world, and the only way I could ever progress, was through private tuition. My teacher is paid by the school, and her specific teaching style makes the lessons stimulating for me. Look into maybe getting private tuition for this. Don't be embarrassed about having discalcula, you probably compensate in some other area. Just keep swimming..

Thank you! I've had about 5 tutors for maths and other related things for 7 years now and most if them have gave up with me😂 Most of the Universitie courses I'm thinking about applying for don't require national 5 maths but it's still pretty important and a great thing to have. But i don't think I'll be able to complete it. I think I'll try to continue it this year and atleast attempt to pass it~

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.