Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Revision for Year 11 mocks and real GCSEs. 📝 Watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m about to do my Year 11 mocks and can’t find a way I can just sit and revise, I get distracted by too many things. I have an Xbox in my room along with a bunch of tech and just can’t focus on doing revision. I have tried doing it downstairs at a blank table but just find it’s working. I’ve heard of revising in cafes and public places with friends is good a you can’t just go back straight away.

I just need a way that will help me to revise and actually remember the information.
    Thanks 🤔
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi. It's really good that you're thinking about this now. Many people underestimate the importance of having a solid set of GCSE grades.

I have learnt over time that a good way of motivating yourself to revise is to consider what it is you wish to do in the future. Think about your goals and what you need to get there. If you aren't sure, then think about the options you have. In your position at the moment, you could decide to pursue medicine, dentistry, law - you name it. You have all the time in the world to play games on your Xbox, but only one real chance at achieving well in your GCSEs. Once you have the motivation you'll need the revision techniques themselves.

For my GCSEs, I made use of revision guides, textbooks, my own notes, past papers and specifications. Print out or download a copy of the specification for each of the courses you are taking. This shows you absolutely anything that can come up in the exam and often provides shortened explanations for things that the textbook may have over-complicated. Then work through the specification; make notes on each section using the textbook, revision guides and any other online resources. You will remember more if you try to put things in your own words as it will help you to understand.

You won't necessarily need to do everything that people recommend to you in order to succeed, however there is one method of revision is pivotal in achieving high grades: past papers. Complete past paper questions, ask your teachers to mark them and then look at the mark scheme. If there are concepts you do not understand then you may find better explanations in the mark scheme than the textbook.

If you would like any further help then feel free to reply on this thread or you could PM me if you would prefer. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the tips, I’m not sure what I want to do in the future. I like working with and around computers but also like working with my hands. I’ve been to a bunch of post 16 career options days and evenings and have looked at doing A-Levels or sixth form but still not sure.
    For my GCSE options I took:
    Systems and Controls (product design)
    Computer Science
    Business Studies
    Spanish

along with the core subjects.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.