Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can’t do qu11 plz help !!! Thanks 🙏🏼 Name:  F48E287D-E96A-44FC-9F82-D1322F29A931.jpg.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  18.8 KB
    Don’t know how to go about it!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What have you already tried? show your working so I can guide you better.
    A hint: the total charge between the two capacitors is constant so try use that with Q=CV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactivedecay)
    What have you already tried? show your working so I can guide you better.
    A hint: the total charge between the two capacitors is constant so try use that with Q=CV
    Didn’t even know where to begin all I did was write E=1/2CV^2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AvogadrosAvocado)
    Didn’t even know where to begin all I did was write E=1/2CV^2
    Okay thats good but that formula gives the energy stored in the capacitor but you re asked bout the energy lost in the resistor so first you need the total energy and then you need the power dissipated in that resistor

ReputationRep:
    Okay thats good but that formula gives the energy stored in the capacitor but you re asked bout the energy lost in the resistor so first you need the total energy and then you need the power dissipated in that resistor
    But how do I do that

ReputationRep:
    Do so you know that because they are in series you can re write them as one capacitor with a total capacitance of 3C and you know that the total charge, which is the intial charge of the charged capacitor is constant okay?. So mathematically, that means that
    1/2Q^2/C (initial charge) is equal to 1/2Q^2/3C ( final charge when the switch is closed) dividing the two you get that the final energy is 1/3 of the intial energy meaning that 2/3 of the energy was lost in that resistor. And thats it.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Do so you know that because they are in series you can re write them as one capacitor with a total capacitance of 3C and you know that the total charge, which is the intial charge of the charged capacitor is constant okay?. So mathematically, that means that
    1/2Q^2/C (initial charge) is equal to 1/2Q^2/3C ( final charge when the switch is closed) dividing the two you get that the final energy is 1/3 of the intial energy meaning that 2/3 of the energy was lost in that resistor. And thats it.
    The capacitors are effectively in parallel for the steady state condition. Only the current flow path is treated as series for the duration during which charge equilibrium is achieved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    The capacitors are effectively in parallel for the steady state condition. Only the current flow path is treated as series for the duration during which charge equilibrium is achieved.
    Yup youre sorry bout that meant to right parrallel.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Yup youre sorry bout that meant to right parrallel.
    I think I understand what you just wrote! lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    I think I understand what you just wrote! lol.
    Lol sorry again, am on my phone and like to type quick so i think of most of what I wanna write instead of writing it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.