Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My son was born in England, we moved to Canada when he was a baby and we returned to the UK in July 2016. He is currently taking A Levels at a local sixth form,

He submitted his UCAS application last month and is deferring his application for a year. He is taking the gap year as he would not be eligible for home fees or funding in October 2018. As his studies will not begin until October 2019, he meets the three year residency requirement for UK citizens. Having done our research on student finance, he would be eligible as a UK citizen for tuiton and maintenance fee loans

He received an email today from one of the universities he applied to stating that he has been assessed as an overseas fee payer. We have filled out the fee status questionnaire and have not heard back yet,

My question is this, Can a university charge a student overseas fees when the student meets the residency requirements for a British citizen? And is also eligible by SFE requirements?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Lancashiremum)
    My son was born in England, we moved to Canada when he was a baby and we returned to the UK in July 2016. He is currently taking A Levels at a local sixth form,

He submitted his UCAS application last month and is deferring his application for a year. He is taking the gap year as he would not be eligible for home fees or funding in October 2018. As his studies will not begin until October 2019, he meets the three year residency requirement for UK citizens. Having done our research on student finance, he would be eligible as a UK citizen for tuiton and maintenance fee loans

He received an email today from one of the universities he applied to stating that he has been assessed as an overseas fee payer. We have filled out the fee status questionnaire and have not heard back yet,

My question is this, Can a university charge a student overseas fees when the student meets the residency requirements for a British citizen? And is also eligible by SFE requirements?
    Hi Lancashiremum,

You need to speak to the university regarding this.

Regards Rona

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.