Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There have been posts on this before but owing to the fact I've seen at least 3 cases today alone, just wanted to remind people that posting your personal statement here, or anywhere public, is pretty much the most damaging thing you can do.

To explain, Google and other search engines 'cache' information after a certain period of time. That's why if you post your statement, it can be found by Google - and not just that, but plagiarism detectors used by UCAS itself.

Cacheing isn't an immediate process. If you remove it relatively quickly after posting (by editing your post to remove everything), there is a chance it wasn't cached. You can check by waiting 12 hours after editing and googling sentences from your statement. If it links you back to your thread, you won't be able to use anything you posted because UCAS' detectors will flag it to here - and obviously, they can't tell your username is actually you.

TSR has its own Personal Statement review service, which is done privately (meaning not cached, or searchable by plagiarism detectors). Information is here, and I recommend that over posting. They're incredibly helpful and very experienced.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4237154

I'm not a mod or anything, I'm just another person who spent a lot of time on their PS this year and know how crushed I would be if my hard work went down the drain. I don't want it to happen to any of you, either.

Peace.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna bump this as regularly as I can

ReputationRep:
    yh

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.