Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in Year 10 and need advice on trying to drop History.
    I recently found out what the ebacc actually is l, as my school had told me that it is "basically a qualification" so I had to take all of the ebacc subjects. Now I am aware that the ebacc is not a qualification and it's actually a performance measure to see how well a school is doing.

Currently I am doing:
    English Language
    English Literature
    Maths
    Triple science (Chem, bio, physics)
    RE (not my choice, I go to a Catholic school)
    History
    Spanish
    Computer Science

That's 10 GCSE's but I am really unsure about history. My school gave us the option of History or geography and I have always preferred history as I am absolutely awful at geography and take no interest to it.
    I am aware that history is a very content heavy subject and it will take up a good portion of my time, and I want to excel in Maths, Physics, Computer Science and English as I am planning on doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science A-levels then study Computer Science as Uni. I feel like history is completely unnecessary to me and a huge waste of my time, as I have 5 lessons in 2 weeks of it and the hours I put in at home towards it are ridiculous. I know this time could be better spent on my main focuses, as I believe history is going to pull down the rest of my grades.

I'm predicted 8's in everything and I'm aiming for 9s in Maths, CS and physics. I feel lied to by my school as I know history isn't going to get me anywhere. Would uni's have an issue with me only taking 9 GCSE's instead of 10? That's my main concern.

Ive spoken to my history teacher about me wanting to drop history and just have 5 free lessons to put towards studying and she said she is behind me but unfortunately it's not her decision to make, it has to get put to my head of year and deputy head. My head of year wants to speak to me about it so I'm waiting for her to pull me into a meeting about it, but I'm worried as she's stubborn and will just tell me that it will look good on my uni application and no one in my school has ever had a free lesson in KS4 and it's "required" for me to take, even though I know it's not. My school are awful in taking in pupils thoughts and acting on them, Ive never ever seen them do anything the student body have wanted.

How can I convince my school it's better for me and that I have considered the impact it's going to have?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milli22)
    I'm currently in Year 10 and need advice on trying to drop History.
    I recently found out what the ebacc actually is l, as my school had told me that it is "basically a qualification" so I had to take all of the ebacc subjects. Now I am aware that the ebacc is not a qualification and it's actually a performance measure to see how well a school is doing.

Currently I am doing:
    English Language
    English Literature
    Maths
    Triple science (Chem, bio, physics)
    RE (not my choice, I go to a Catholic school)
    History
    Spanish
    Computer Science

That's 10 GCSE's but I am really unsure about history. My school gave us the option of History or geography and I have always preferred history as I am absolutely awful at geography and take no interest to it.
    I am aware that history is a very content heavy subject and it will take up a good portion of my time, and I want to excel in Maths, Physics, Computer Science and English as I am planning on doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science A-levels then study Computer Science as Uni. I feel like history is completely unnecessary to me and a huge waste of my time, as I have 5 lessons in 2 weeks of it and the hours I put in at home towards it are ridiculous. I know this time could be better spent on my main focuses, as I believe history is going to pull down the rest of my grades.

I'm predicted 8's in everything and I'm aiming for 9s in Maths, CS and physics. I feel lied to by my school as I know history isn't going to get me anywhere. Would uni's have an issue with me only taking 9 GCSE's instead of 10? That's my main concern.

Ive spoken to my history teacher about me wanting to drop history and just have 5 free lessons to put towards studying and she said she is behind me but unfortunately it's not her decision to make, it has to get put to my head of year and deputy head. My head of year wants to speak to me about it so I'm waiting for her to pull me into a meeting about it, but I'm worried as she's stubborn and will just tell me that it will look good on my uni application and no one in my school has ever had a free lesson in KS4 and it's "required" for me to take, even though I know it's not. My school are awful in taking in pupils thoughts and acting on them, Ive never ever seen them do anything the student body have wanted.

How can I convince my school it's better for me and that I have considered the impact it's going to have?
    I was in the same exact situation you are in a year ago.
    Our school told us that the ebacc is a qualification and therefore i was forced to do spanish even though i never chose it as an option.
    So aftter doing research, i also found out that ebacc is not a qualification but something that didn't even matter to me. Fortunately, i could change my subjects as it was early on in the year.
    I do 9 subjects and my cousins from other schools also do 9 so it should not hurt your uni application
    You should tell your teachers about how the ebacc is not a qualification and that you were lying to make the school look good.
    However, i dont think you will be allowed to drop history. Your best bet is to just carry on with the course and work hard or maybe even change it to a different subject.

ReputationRep:
    I’d suggest sticking with history as once you know the content it’s not too difficult of a course to pass, especially if you’re interested!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! I'm going to try my hardest to keep pushing the school to let me drop it, but if they knock me back then I'll just leave it and try my best.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! I'm going to try my hardest to keep pushing the school to let me drop it, but if they knock me back then I'll just leave it and try my best.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodiemariexoxo)
    I’d suggest sticking with history as once you know the content it’s not too difficult of a course to pass, especially if you’re interested!
    I understand that it's not hard once I know the content, but it's the hours I have to put towards it. I want to focus all of my time towards the subjects I'm actually passionate about and achieve the best grades I can, instead of wasting a stupid amount of hours on something I couldn't care less about

ReputationRep:
    I understand that it's not hard once I know the content, but it's the hours I have to put towards it. I want to focus all of my time towards the subjects I'm actually passionate about and achieve the best grades I can, instead of wasting a stupid amount of hours on something I couldn't care less about
    As much as I hate to admit, I got an E in my March mock exams in history. When it came to the GCSE and with little work at all I came out with an A. Not that this is the example you should follow, but it’s worth saying that you’ll find it easier than you think! Also, I’m sure that you can be certain the overall grade boundaries will be somewhat lower since you’ll be the second year to do the 9-1 grading in history.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.