Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in Year 12 and I was thinking about applying to study MFL at university, more specifically German. However, my school no longer offers it as an A-Level (starting from my year) so there was no option for me to study this. Also, I found this out too late - I couldn't apply for another sixth form college as the deadlines had all passed. I studied it at GCSE however, and ended up 1 UMS off an A* due to some bad luck (everyone's speaking tests were moderated down 7-9 UMS). My other subjects are Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    For the chance to progress on to do German in university, it probably would’ve been beneficial to take up some sort of a language for A level as a relevant subject, even though it’s not your preferred subject. As you didn’t take a language into further studies it’ll probably be a lot harder to get into your desired course, so perhaps try looking for one around your A Level choices. Hope this helps!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NukaCola)
    Hi, I'm in Year 12 and I was thinking about applying to study MFL at university, more specifically German. However, my school no longer offers it as an A-Level (starting from my year) so there was no option for me to study this. Also, I found this out too late - I couldn't apply for another sixth form college as the deadlines had all passed. I studied it at GCSE however, and ended up 1 UMS off an A* due to some bad luck (everyone's speaking tests were moderated down 7-9 UMS). My other subjects are Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. Thank you!
    i recommed dropping one of your subjects and doing german at home and then getting certified for it by the goethe institute B2 should be enough

ReputationRep:
    Heyo, you just got to look at university requirements because some of them say ''if you not studied at A-Level then atleast a w/e in GCSE'' and some of them do beginners course. Just keep practicing German and so forth or do an A Level outside.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by NukaCola)
    You absolutely don't need to do German at A level to study it at university. Pretty much every German degree is available ab initio (from beginners). Many don't even require a MFL GCSE. I think you should focus on your current subjects and try to get the best grades you can. You will not be in a better position for having self-studied German / done a Goethe-Institut course at the expense of your other subjects. It's not uncommon for people with STEM A level subjects to do language degrees.

(Original post by jodiemariexoxo)
    For the chance to progress on to do German in university, it probably would’ve been beneficial to take up some sort of a language for A level as a relevant subject, even though it’s not your preferred subject. As you didn’t take a language into further studies it’ll probably be a lot harder to get into your desired course, so perhaps try looking for one around your A Level choices. Hope this helps!
    This is not correct.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.