Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I take A-level maths and am currently in my 1st year (AS), my friend is very smart (got a 9 at GCSE), and literally every question we do in the textbook I ask her how to do it, for e.g. we were doing stats today and doing histograms/boxplots and for every exercise we did i got stuck with and I asked her, i'm probably imagining how much i anny her lol, but the thing is that i work hard if i don't get something i come home and do it untill i can do every question like a piece of cake.
    But does this mean I'm 'dumb' in maths or can I still get an A in AS because of the hard work I put in (maths takes me about 4 hours a day alone But I still love it.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    don't worry at all
    I got very high marks in gcse maths and all through AS probably up until March I struggled with understanding what was going on. I am doing A2 maths now.
    There will be a moment where it will click for you and you will get it

(Original post by Undec)
    don't worry at all
    I got very high marks in gcse maths and all through AS probably up until March I struggled with understanding what was going on. I am doing A2 maths now.
    Am I still capable of getting an A, because I hear everyone on TSR saying that maths is so easy in AS and that it's not normal if you find it hard, like, maths is hard

anyone...

ReputationRep:
    You're not dumb but, you should use the resources to help you like asking teachers for help, using video tutorials, attending boosters. After using these resources you should see a change if not find a tutor if you need to
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't mean you're dumb at all! Since you've just moved up to A-level you're bound to have an adjustment period. I don't do maths, but I'm in a similar sort of situation with Physics, where I'm constantly asking the people on my table about the questions we're set. Don't worry too much, you said it yourself that after you've done extra work you understand what to do, and that's a key thing. So long as you understand the content at the end of the day (and there is some evidence that the longer/harder you work at learning something the better you can use/remember it later) thats the important part which will help you pass your exams.

In short, so long as you keep up the work to make sure you get what you're being taught, there should be no reason at all that you couldn't get an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Am I still capable of getting an A, because I hear everyone on TSR saying that maths is so easy in AS and that it's not normal if you find it hard, like, maths is hard
    In my opinion you should take TSR with a pinch of salt–there are a good number of extraordinarily smart people in their respectively preferred subject areas, especially in STEM. A lot of people who don’t do well in the UKMT challenges or have to put in that extra bit of effort can still be perfectly good mathematicians!

(Original post by Undec)
    don't worry at all
    What did you get in AS Maths if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    You are not dumb because you persevere until you understand every question.

(Original post by Katie G Barker)
    You are not dumb because you persevere until you understand every question.
    Sorry what does that mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What did you get in AS Maths if you don't mind me asking?
    A

ReputationRep:
    you work hard until you understand every question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.