Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I had seen this guy in a walking group over the past 5 months. We were friends a few years ago but lost touch. Over the months he has dropped hints that he likes me, has cuddled and held me for long periods of time and kissed my cheek in a loving way - it has all been quite romantic. I told him recently that I like him and he started acting awkward and said he likes me but does not want to take it further and he said he does not feel enough for me. He then said he probably did lead me on. I was stunned, I didn't stick around to talk as I felt he had taken the p*** out of me.

He is in his 40s and not had a girlfriend in years but does get shy and socially awkward around women. He did say not long ago to me and some friends when he was asked about dating was that he has had enough of women who answer back, he hasn't married as he has not found the right woman. He also said if he has a relationship he has to give up the hiking groups. I thought that is ridiculous as the right person would not make you give up your hobbies which I even told him this.

There have been occasions where he has said he doesn't do communal bedrooms with the hikers and likes his own space. He also at times has had outbursts, sulked and impatient in situations - not ideal.

I have realised I have wasted my time. I feel shocked and heartbroken now as I had pinned my hopes on him to be let down. How can I rebuild my life and move on? Am I best to cut contact with him? I know he gets annoyed when I talk to other guys but how can he when he rejected me. I still want to see my friends at the hiking group but don't know if I can go with him being there as I will have feelings.

Please can people please point out his red flags so I don't fall for this crap again. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    He sounds actually like quite a nasty character. His line about not marrying as he hasn’t met the right girl is code for no self respecting woman would ever put up with his bull**it. STAY AWAY
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    How old are you?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like an ideal Tory candidate, given they may have a few vacancies.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the hiking group and see your friends. If he comes over ignor him and act like he isn't there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie G Barker)
    Go to the hiking group and see your friends. If he comes over ignor him and act like he isn't there.
    Yes this is good advice, men like this are single for a reason. The sulking and impatience are serious red flags for me

I am going to a birthday party at the weekend which this guy will be there. I know I have had a lucky escape but don't know how to behave around him. If I ignore him he knows it will have bothered me and if I acknowledge him he will think I still have the hots for him. He is the type to still stare at me even though he rejected me. I won't miss out on my friend's party just because of him.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.