Turn on thread page Beta

What do you find most difficult about driving lessons? watch

ReputationRep:
    Now that I am back to driving lessons after a 2 year break, I thought I would make a new version of the thread I made back in 2015

Back then, my biggest hurdle was clutch control. I've improved on that front but now I would say my biggest struggle is braking. I either don't brake hard enough or I break too hard.

What do you guys struggle with mostly while learning to drive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rum Ham)
    Now that I am back to driving lessons after a 2 year break, I thought I would make a new version of the thread I made back in 2015

Back then, my biggest hurdle was clutch control. I've improved on that front but now I would say my biggest struggle is braking. I either don't brake hard enough or I break too hard.

Roundabouts by far was my biggest problem.

ReputationRep:
    Giving them!

When I learnt to drive (many moons ago), the thing that took the longest was being able to keep the throttle smooth when going over bumps.

ReputationRep:
    ...finding a driving tutor...

ReputationRep:
    Remembering how much to turn the wheel when doing manoeuvres like turn in the road. The other thing that's hard is knowing how much is half or a quarter turn. I need to actually look at the wheel the whole time I'm turning.
    Also I've been learning for 3 years and I still have no idea which direction you're supposed to turn the wheel when you're reversing. I'm on my 4th instructor now and I still find it confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    Remembering how much to turn the wheel when doing manoeuvres like turn in the road. The other thing that's hard is knowing how much is half or a quarter turn. I need to actually look at the wheel the whole time I'm turning.
    Also I've been learning for 3 years and I still have no idea which direction you're supposed to turn the wheel when you're reversing. I'm on my 4th instructor now and I still find it confusing.
    I always used to make this mistake. I only used to judge when you're turning. If it's too much then turn the other way. Kind of winged it on my test as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Giving them!

When I learnt to drive (many moons ago), the thing that took the longest was being able to keep the throttle smooth when going over bumps.
    For some reason, this wasn't a problem at all. Even on my first lesson.

ReputationRep:
    Clutch control and just multitasking everything 😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Mine was clutch control & roundabouts.
    My instructor didn't really help much when it came to clutch control, I only learnt properly after I failed my first test and my mum started "teaching" me (just sat by me and let me learn from my mistakes).
    My roundabouts were appalling, and still are to be fair, though it's only when I need to go off anything past the the 2nd junction, but I'll learn it more, even though I've passed.

ReputationRep:

not looking at signs on the road, like the one way system thing especially and being screwed over for everyone else not following the rules, oh and multitasking on the roundabout of checking mirrors, changing signal from left to right if you taking the right exit while also havign fun with the clutch all within the space of a good 7m
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Clutch control is bloody hard, mini roundabouts and judging the actions of other idiots on the road. Had a lesson today that went pretty ****!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

****ing crossroads.

The town I live in has virtually no cross-roads so there are roundabouts instead. However, the nearest test center was in a town that had crossroads everywhere making it an absolute nightmare for me to drive in and get used to.

Roundabouts are superior.

ReputationRep:
    Deciding when to go at roundabouts...and trusting other drivers.

ReputationRep:
    I find roundabouts pretty difficult too. When I am a passenger, I can tell you exactly when is the right time to go but when I am in the driver's seat, I clam up
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    ...finding a driving tutor...
    Finding the right driving instructor is the hardest part I'd say! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    ****ing crossroads.

The town I live in has virtually no cross-roads so there are roundabouts instead. However, the nearest test center was in a town that had crossroads everywhere making it an absolute nightmare for me to drive in and get used to.

Roundabouts are superior.
    Unlucky, they were easy for me and so was clutch control. Roundabout was hard for me.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling confident enough that I'm not going to damage the instructor's car :/
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Mine was definitely reverse around the corner. Annoyingly, thats the manouvere I got in my test -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Finding the right driving instructor is the hardest part I'd say! :yes:
    Hadn't even thought about that! Being nosy I noticed you're from Wales, do you know any in Cardiff or that area that are good?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    Hadn't even thought about that! Being nosy I noticed you're from Wales, do you know any in Cardiff or that area that are good?
    Haha, I am from Wales but from the North, sorry! :laugh:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.