Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you find most difficult about driving lessons? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Haha, I am from Wales but from the North, sorry! :laugh:
    I'm a Northerner as well! :laugh: Should've done it before I left Gwynedd, ah well. Thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    For me it is finding the bite of the clutch and trying to move off as smoothly as possible.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    I'm a Northerner as well! :laugh: Should've done it before I left Gwynedd, ah well. Thanks anyway
    The best kind of Welsh! I've heard Bala is a good place to do it up North, if that makes any difference? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    The best kind of Welsh! I've heard Bala is a good place to do it up North, if that makes any difference? :lol:
    Darn right we are! :wavingtheflag:

That's actually helpful, I'll see if I can book with them during the summer break so thank you :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Clutch control and parking. Where I learned to drive, there isn't a car park examiners can use for bay parking therefore instructors don't teach it. This means I can only park in diagonal bays, not the normal straight ones most car parks have. I cannot park to save my life! I'm really bad at judging where the car is and how far away I am from hitting something.

I also struggle with stop/starts without stalling, especially hill starts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Mine was definitely reverse around the corner. Annoyingly, thats the manouvere I got in my test -_-
    That was my favourite one! I hated parallel parking. So glad that I got reverse round a corner on both my tests.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Another driving lesson done and dusted. Makes all the difference when you have an instructor who not only teaches you well but also builds you up, even when you muck up, rather than bringing you down like many of my old instructors.

Did a mix of reversing, roundabouts, hill starts, independent driving and turning today. Found it all easy enough other than roundabouts. Its so hard to multitask with gears and indicating with roundabouts. Hoping it'll all come to me though :yep:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Did anyone else struggle with 'road hogging' when they first started lessons? I'm struggling with that atm. I feel as though to me, the car looks perfectly in the centre of the lane I should be in and then I am shocked when my instructor tells me to go more left or right makes me scared about if I ever pass and drive on my own, will I be able to judge the width alright? :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I learnt in Croydon, South London. There is a roundabout there that is often very busy and it's on a upward slope. Moving off quickly using handbrake and biting point was really difficult. Thankfully, we didn't take that specific route in my driving test as I am, to this day, still quite anxious about moving in traffic on an upward slope.

I didn't encounter many hills during my practice, but there are quite a few upward slopes where I live. For that reason, I've booked my instructor to give me a few more lessons based on that in my car. My current Polo handles quite differently to the car I learnt in, and so ironically, despite having my license, I feel as if I'm still very much a learner in some respects. Having said that, practice makes perfect, and I need to improve if I want to be confident on all sorts of terrain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rum Ham)
    Did anyone else struggle with 'road hogging' when they first started lessons? I'm struggling with that atm. I feel as though to me, the car looks perfectly in the centre of the lane I should be in and then I am shocked when my instructor tells me to go more left or right makes me scared about if I ever pass and drive on my own, will I be able to judge the width alright? :laugh:
    When I was learning, my instructor told me to look far ahead rather than focusing close up. Helps a lot with what you're describing. Stops all this micro-adjustment of the wheel which is probably causing your instructor to tell you to go a little more L/R.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    When I was learning, my instructor told me to look far ahead rather than focusing close up. Helps a lot with what you're describing. Stops all this micro-adjustment of the wheel which is probably causing your instructor to tell you to go a little more L/R.
    Thanks for the tip I'll try it out tomorrow during my lesson
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Another lesson, another thing I found difficult :laugh:

I'm finding it difficult dealing with things on the spot and being under pressure. I made so many silly mistakes today such as going left instead of right when my instructor told me to do something at the last second

ReputationRep:
    Easily parking
    Im sure it will come with practice but judging exactly where my car is in relation to everything else is damn annoying

ReputationRep:
    having someone nag at me continuously for an hour- i dont like being told what to do

ReputationRep:
    Clutch control is the bane of my life, I've only ever had 1 lesson where I didn't stall and I've had like 12 lessons :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    changing gears but only tried changing from gear 1 to 2 two times and my instructor told me to stop. will be looking for a different instructor who has more patience bare in mind i have only had 4 hours of lessons

another thing was that i kept turning the wheel to little while doing turns practice will make perfect though as i get push pull steering now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    changing gears but only tried changing from gear 1 to 2 two times and my instructor told me to stop. will be looking for a different instructor who has more patience bare in mind i have only had 4 hours of lessons

another thing was that i kept turning the wheel to little while doing turns practice will make perfect though as i get push pull steering now!
    4 hours of lessons and you've only moved up from 1st to 2nd TWO TIMES??!

WHAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    4 hours of lessons and you've only moved up from 1st to 2nd TWO TIMES??!

WHAT
    glad i stopped with the instructor with your response :rofl:, he was very impatient

ReputationRep:
    I always struggled with the manoeuvres. I was fine with the 'three point turn' but the others I'd struggle with.

ReputationRep:
    mine is pulling out - scared to go to fast
    and ironically, speeding

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.