Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To the best of my knowledge to get into Oxford I need 8 A*s at GCSE and then 3 A*s at college as well as being part of a couple of sports clubs, a couple of clubs/societies/extracurriculars/,have work experience, have an EPQ, good references and have a solid application. Anything else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OkThanksBye)
    To the best of my knowledge to get into Oxford I need 8 A*s at GCSE and then 3 A*s at college as well as being part of a couple of sports clubs, a couple of clubs/societies/extracurriculars/,have work experience, have an EPQ, good references and have a solid application. Anything else?
    Different for each course I would think
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Most of that is irrelevant.

To get into Oxford, you need to get good grades (A/A*) in subjects relevant to your course, first and foremost. You need to demonstrate some intellectual curiosity and interest in your chosen subject area through your PS, and then you need to perform well in interview. The interview will be focusing on how you think and approach problems, and this will weigh very heavily in their considerations - they need to know your learning style matches their teaching style. A good GCSE profile helps, as does a good performance in the admissions assessment(s) in getting an interview.

Extracurricular activites that are not related to your subject area are irrelevant, and if they are they won't do much other than to demonstrate your commitment to the subject - they won't expect this and realise that not everyone is afforded the opportunity to pursue such activities. An EPQ is meaningless by itself. It's purely a way for you to explore an interest of your own in greater depth, and like the extracurricular activities just demonstrates your commitment and interest to the subject, and if you do it just to add something to your CV it will probably backfire and may well become obvious if you're subsequently questioned about it in interview.

There is NO way to guarantee admission. You could get 5 A*s at A-level and a full set of A*s at GCSE and all that other crap, and if you then in interview demonstrate no capacity to learn from the supervision/tutorial style of teaching or aptitude/interest in the subject, then you won't get admitted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Most of that is irrelevant.

To get into Oxford, you need to get good grades (A/A*) in subjects relevant to your course, first and foremost. You need to demonstrate some intellectual curiosity and interest in your chosen subject area through your PS, and then you need to perform well in interview. The interview will be focusing on how you think and approach problems, and this will weigh very heavily in their considerations - they need to know your learning style matches their teaching style. A good GCSE profile helps, as does a good performance in the admissions assessment(s) in getting an interview.

Extracurricular activites that are not related to your subject area are irrelevant, and if they are they won't do much other than to demonstrate your commitment to the subject - they won't expect this and realise that not everyone is afforded the opportunity to pursue such activities. An EPQ is meaningless by itself. It's purely a way for you to explore an interest of your own in greater depth, and like the extracurricular activities just demonstrates your commitment and interest to the subject, and if you do it just to add something to your CV it will probably backfire and may well become obvious if you're subsequently questioned about it in interview.

There is NO way to guarantee admission. You could get 5 A*s at A-level and a full set of A*s at GCSE and all that other crap, and if you then in interview demonstrate no capacity to learn from the supervision/tutorial style of teaching or aptitude/interest in the subject, then you won't get admitted.
    I totally get what you mean but i'm talking vaguely and about physical things not qualities but I get what you mean thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OkThanksBye)
    I totally get what you mean but i'm talking vaguely and about physical things not qualities but I get what you mean thank you
    The thing is those "physical things" are irrelevant. There are more students every year who meet the entry criteria than get places. They don't care about that as everyone has those criteria already. It's a box that's been ticked - they care about the other things which haven't been assessed already.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.