Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I started a levels this year I am doing biology,chemistry and maths.Since year 10 I had been having mental health issues.In year 10 I had went to a psychologist but did not help at all.Now I am waiting again for an appointment at a psychologist as my mental health issues still persist.I want to study medicine and become a doctor but things are not going well for me.I am doing decent in maths I am getting b's it is not where I want to be but there is not much of a gap to where I want to be. In biology I am receiving E's, today I received a u.I feel devastated as at GCSE I received 7A*'s and 3 A's.In Chemistry the story is similar to biology.I cannot put myself together.I am really enjoying maths but not the other subjects.I ask a lot of year 13 for help with maths when needed.

I also wanted to go to Cambridge or imperial and I told myself it will be so hard but if you work hard you have the power to make it happen.In fact I feel powerless and weak.I struggle to study and make good decisions.I come home and do anything to distract me from the fact that I am not who I want to be and I feel unhappy with myself.I don't enjoy watching tv but I watch it anyway.I want to change who I am and be who I want to be but I don't know how it seems impossible.I do those to do lists but I don't really follow them.I feel this extreme anger inside and frustration I don't enjoy doing what I love at all.I just live life passively.

ReputationRep:
    You said you've been to a psychologist in the past and are waiting to see another one, but have you tried talking to your GP?

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    You said you've been to a psychologist in the past and are waiting to see another one, but have you tried talking to your GP?
    Yes they said to discuss my issues with a psychologist as the appointments themselves are too short.

Not much help, just to say I can relate. Got loads of A*s in year 12, but i've only got As and Bs this year so far. I've applied to Cambridge (eek). Mental health **** is making it hard to be motivated and focused at home. At school I've sorta started feeling a little like i have social anxiety, and get so sensitive so it's hard to try my hardest in lessons. I'm starting counselling next week, hopefully that'll help. I've reduced how long I do something for e.g. ten mins of an essay, make a cup of tea, then ten mins of making revision notes etc. When you feel awful working in tiny chunks helps so so much, and sometimes makes me more productive than before!!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Not much help, just to say I can relate. Got loads of A*s in year 12, but i've only got As and Bs this year so far. I've applied to Cambridge (eek). Mental health **** is making it hard to be motivated and focused at home. At school I've sorta started feeling a little like i have social anxiety, and get so sensitive so it's hard to try my hardest in lessons. I'm starting counselling next week, hopefully that'll help. I've reduced how long I do something for e.g. ten mins of an essay, make a cup of tea, then ten mins of making revision notes etc. When you feel awful working in tiny chunks helps so so much, and sometimes makes me more productive than before!!
    Thank you for your reply.I used to do the Pomodoro method it worked well for my GCSE's.For me it is frustrating I feel like I don't want to be in school I want to be very well educated but I feel not well enough mentally.I am not sure when I will start counselling as I am waiting for an appointment.I wish things were different my mum recently lost her job so things aren't easy.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they said to discuss my issues with a psychologist as the appointments themselves are too short.
    I meant more to consider trying medication than to talk talk with a GP? What you've described sounds a lot like depression (though obviously I'm not medically trained :fyi: ).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Hi Anon, I struggled with MH issues during secondary school that continued through college (and continued still). From my experience, I can suggest you to go speak to someone at your school/college so they are aware of your problems and can offer you some extra support. Even if it's just someone to chat to every now and then, there will definitely be someone there who can help you. They might even be able to get you into some stress managing workshops that you don't know about

Thank you for your reply.I used to do the Pomodoro method it worked well for my GCSE's.For me it is frustrating I feel like I don't want to be in school I want to be very well educated but I feel not well enough mentally.I am not sure when I will start counselling as I am waiting for an appointment.I wish things were different my mum recently lost her job so things aren't easy.
    Try hard to stay at school, you feel better when you achieve things so it may help. I've lowered my expectations whilst I wait for stuff to clear up. Remember schools only for a year and hopefully you have a great uni place at the end. I told myself I need an education for the rest of my life, I've just adapted a little how I work. Maybe try your local off the record???

(Original post by Amefish)
    Hi Anon, I struggled with MH issues during secondary school that continued through college (and continued still). From my experience, I can suggest you to go speak to someone at your school/college so they are aware of your problems and can offer you some extra support. Even if it's just someone to chat to every now and then, there will definitely be someone there who can help you. They might even be able to get you into some stress managing workshops that you don't know about
    The pastoral care is none existent in my school if I am honest mental illness is not really discussed and we do not have a school counsellor and I don't trust any of my teachers.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    I meant more to consider trying medication than to talk talk with a GP? What you've described sounds a lot like depression (though obviously I'm not medically trained :fyi: ).
    The GP's are reluctant to do so they do not really like treating such problems with medications.

Try hard to stay at school, you feel better when you achieve things so it may help. I've lowered my expectations whilst I wait for stuff to clear up. Remember schools only for a year and hopefully you have a great uni place at the end. I told myself I need an education for the rest of my life, I've just adapted a little how I work. Maybe try your local off the record???
    I know I need to stay in school I never miss school I attend it every single day no matter how hard it is for me.At this rate university seems a distant dream as I need AAA minimum to do medicine and now I have like BEE.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.