Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Chronicles of a Chronic Procrastinator (GYG) Watch

ReputationRep:
    THE ONE WHERE I START A GYG BLOG:

Hi!
    My name is Melody and I am a chronic procrastinator.

I am not unintelligent, I just have no motivation to actually do anything. To combat this I have decided to start a Grow Your Grades blog; maybe this will help me commit to regularly revising.

Background Information:

I am in year 11 so this is the year for me to really get my act together.

I am studying for 9 GCSEs and a Level 3 BTEC in sport and exercise science. As we have yet to sit mock exams, our predicted grades are a bit all over the place. Some seem somewhat unrealistic so until we do our January mocks, this is where I am at. (The first number is my working at grade and the second is my predicted grade.)

Biology 6 8
    Chemistry 8 8
    Computer Science 6 8
    English Language 7 8
    English Literature 6 8
    History 6 8
    Maths 8 9
    Physics 7 8
    Spanish 5 8
    Sport and Exercise Science merit distinction

As you can see I have a fair amount of work to do!

To kick off this blog, I thought I would share my revision timetable for October half term with you, and reflect on how well it worked for me.

So I started off by allocating time slots to each of my subjects and some time for homework. As it is only October I thought that 2 hours a day (give or take) was a reasonable amount of time to be spending. Here is what I came up with:

Name:  octoberHalfTermRevisionTimetable.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  510.2 KB

To begin with I managed to stick to the timetable however by three days in I was starting to struggle.
    Why get up and revise when staying in bed is so much better?
    Well obviously because revision ahead of time is hugely important if I want to do as well as I possibly can in my exams but that somehow wasn't enough to get me out of bed.

I started to just ignore my revision. The things I did just to avoid all school work; instead of an hour of biology and an hour of history, I opted to tidy the kitchen, wash the car, and then walk the dog. Ahh procrastination at its finest huh?

So this just about brings us up to date. Having reached the final weekend of half term I can look back at my attempt at revision (with REAL emphasis on the word "attempt") as a partial success. I did do at least some revision on most days but nowhere near the amount I had intended to do.

So drawing my first foray into blogging to a close I'm going to leave you with a question:

How do you motivate yourself to revise?

-Melody

ReputationRep:
    hey i just finished my gcses and am now doing a levles - what ur doing is great and i wish i was so organised but just a bit of advice-
    try and do three subjects per day in like 45 minutes slots and rotate like bio, chem, spanish, chem , bio spanish.
    it keeps u motivated iff you dont like one of the subjects as u only have to do it for like 45 minutes.
    hope that is even the tiniest bit helpful
    i have also just started a blog -
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post74407368

ReputationRep:
    I'll certainly bear that in mind, thanks! I'll give your blog a look If you have any more advice from doing your GCSEs let me know
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey we're both predicted similar grades and we both need to get our act together, so this is going to be a fun journey for the both of us ahahah. Also, your handwriting is so pretty why was I not born with the cute and girly handwriting gene :/
    Looking forward to your journey, but mainly I'm just hoping you'll be as bad as a procrastinator as I am so I don't feel so bad when another day goes by without me doing anything. Good luck, nonetheless!

ReputationRep:
    THE ONE WHERE I WASTE TIME ON AESTHETICS: (WEEK 00)

I'm hoping to update this blog fairly regularly; I'm thinking twice a week (or there abouts). I tend to be quite busy so we'll see how that goes.

Today I put together my weekly plan for the week beginning the 6th of November (my first week back at school after half term). I decided that I would aim for 45 minutes of revision per subject per week and see how I get on with that. I also thought I would incorporate other things into this and as such it became more of a planner or diary for the week.

Name:  IMG_20171104_152655263.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  500.2 KB

The issue I have is that even the process of making this timetable was an act of procrastination in itself. The whole time I was working on this I had homework to do that I've been avoiding for the past two weeks. With the added fact that I aimed to make it much more aesthetically pleasing than was actually necessary for it to function.

Name:  IMG_20171104_155313690.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  374.4 KB

This was my initial plan for my timetable.
    (To the person who enjoyed my handwriting last time, I hope it makes you feel better seeing the huge mess that is my regular handwriting)
    I could have used this and saved all the time it took me draw up the neat version.

This is another issue I have regularly. I will spend time making something prettier than it needs to be and I can completely justify it to myself because technically I am working and I am making progress with something. Again, the dark procrastination curse strikes.

I will update you as to how my week progresses. Hopefully I will be able to follow my revision timetable a bit more this time (although if last half term was anything to go off of, probably not).

-Melody

ReputationRep:
    This is quickly becoming one of my favourite GYGs this year because it's just so damn relatable it's hard not to love it. Sometimes it's so disheartening to go on TSR and see all the year 9s making detailed flashcards and everyone else your age getting 9s in every exam while you're predicted an 8 and barely scraped a 6, but it's reassuring to see that, although it looks like everyone around you has it together, no one really knows what the hell they're doing, and it's hard to come across as the perfect balance as unproductive enough to be realistic, yet productive to be motivational, and you've definitely nailed that. (that was the longest sentence I've ever written sorry if I've asphyxiated anyone)
    Also, everyone on TSR seems to be so good at maths and I've got no idea what I'm doing half the time. How do you revise (or are you one of those blessed people that can look at an example question, the planets aline and you just get it and no revision is ever needed at all)?
    If it's any consolation, your messy handwriting is literal art next to my neat handwriting, and I'm living for these aesthetic colour coordinated studyblr thingys you've got going rn

ReputationRep:
    troubletracking
    I'll be honest, maths is one of those subjects I don't revise much but when I do revise it's all about practice questions. It's dull but the only way to learn it is to keep doing questions until you can consistently get the correct answer. I'm alright at maths so if you are really struggling feel free to send me questions and I'll try to help to the best of my (quite limited) ability.

Thanks for all your kind words about this page, it makes me feel a lot better knowing I'm not alone in my disorganised panic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melody.pond)

Why get up and revise when staying in bed is so much better?
    Well because revision ahead of time is hugely important if I want to do as well as I possibly can in my exams but that somehow wasn't enough to get me out of bed.
    ahahaha you've managed to sum me up there! I tried over half term waking up early (like 7am!) and it completely failed. Turns out if I don't sleep I procrastinate more.
    So how do I stop myself procrastinating? Ah well.. has that happened yet? For me? Well to stop myself procrastinating I'll put a kinder bar in front of myself (at the top of the mountain of mess AKA my desk) and tell myself I can't eat it till I do the work. This only works if I'm not hungry (so like 5mins every few hours) so it's pretty ineffective oops sorry to have wasted your time ooh or I picture myself on results day being upset and disappointed and then I calculate how many days till gcses but that causes panic so I wouldn't recommend it. I guess you could force someone to make you do it. Be like mum or someone take my phone/dog/book/cupcake recipes away till I do physics!!
    I have no clue really. I can't advise given I basically only revise when I've eaten food.

ReputationRep:
    THE ONE WHERE IT WENT A BIT WRONG IMMEDIATELY:
    (WEEK 01)

(Original post by melody.pond)

I'm hoping to update this blog fairly regularly; I'm thinking twice a week (or there abouts). I tend to be quite busy so we'll see how that goes.

-Melody
    That went well then? This is very stereotypically me; committing to something and then immediately not doing what I said I'd do. So this past week I have completely ignored all of my revision to fairly catastrophic results. It turns out we have 4 exams this week (luckily only practice tests but I would still like to do well).

I haven't revised for anything other than my English exam (which was today: I learnt a bunch of quotes from Macbeth for a question from a practice paper. We had 50 minutes, all I can say is thank god it's over)

tomorrow is my first Spanish exam of the week: listening. Now I historically have not done very well in Spanish (see my 56% in my last listening exam and my 3/32 in our last writing paper) I really need to actually revise but let's be real, I'll just wing it. I don't want to be so un-motivated but I just struggle so much!

In other news we now have 6 hours left of our 20 hour computer science controlled assessment: god help me. I literally don't know anything at all and I swear we've learnt nothing all year. I have had to teach myself everything as I go along. A positive side to this is that because I've taught it to myself I have a much better understanding of how it works I guess. It's still very annoying.

Continuing with the more positive aspects of my life, when I learnt the quotes for my English literature exam I also made flash cards on my revision app of choice, quizlet. Quizlet is an app (you've probably seen it around) where you can add either a statement and definition or a question and answer to either side of a virtual flash card and then work your way through a series of tests to your specification until you've learnt them. I am a huge fan of Quizlet because it's on my phone so anytime I have a spare few minutes I can have a flick through the cards or test myself with a couple of questions. It also feels like much less effort to revise from Quizlet (always a positive in my eyes).

Attachment 703544

Attachment 703546

Quizlet doesn't work for every subject (not for me at least) but anything like English literature where there are sets of quotes to learn, or like history where there are dates and events to learn , it is very helpful.

So to round this blog post off, I have a question:

How do you make yourself prioritise things that are important?

I do a lot of extra-curricular music and I have had several people come up to me and start lecturing me about how I need to put my studies first over fun stuff like music. I think more than anything this stresses me out more.

Anyway, as always (or the twice I have updated this so far) please send me all your revision tips and advice as I clearly very much need it!

-Melody

ReputationRep:
    i really love this blog!
    i hope it gets popular

good luck for your gcses this year - i’m sure you’ll be A M A Z i N G!

don’t worry if you have revised so far, YES it’s year 11 and YES you need to get serious about stuff, but as a procrastinator myself, at least you’re TRYING to be a little more productive! i’m also really a bit unmotivated but i’m in year 10 so i have a bit more time

your notes are so beautiful! i love your revision schedule! anndddd i’m really jealous that you’re good at maths, it’s the subject i struggle with the most...

check out my gyg if you want?!
    i’ll be sure to follow this thread because it’s really interesting

p.s i love your name xx

ReputationRep:
    oh my...this gyg is me
    hahaaa im sure you'll smash your gcses
    and oh myyyyy your timetables goshhhhh i need them!

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    clouddbubbles
    Thanks for all of your kind words about my timetables! I forgot this week but hopefully next week there will be another.

Don't worry too much about procrastinating this year, you've got enough time before your exams. The main thing is to keep on top of your notes, make sure you understand things as you go along, and do work as you're set it so you don't get behind (yep all things I regularly ignore because AHHH responsibility).

I'll check out you GYG blog; it's always interesting to see what other people are up to!

p.s thank you! thoughts on Jodie Whittaker? xx

-Melody

Submit reply
Updated: November 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.