Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Primark: Do you get to finish your evening shift on time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been made a job offer at Primark to work from 3pm to 7:30pm. The store closes at 7pm, but I would be staying behind after all the customers have left the store to do recovery. I want to ask those who are doing these evening shifts at Primark whether you guys get to finish on time. If I am contracted to work until 7:30pm, how likely is it that I would finish and leave on the dot at 7:30pm? And if not, how much longer have you been kept up until?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_hindsight)
    I have been made a job offer at Primark to work from 3pm to 7:30pm. The store closes at 7pm, but I would be staying behind after all the customers have left the store to do recovery. I want to ask those who are doing these evening shifts at Primark whether you guys get to finish on time. If I am contracted to work until 7:30pm, how likely is it that I would finish and leave on the dot at 7:30pm? And if not, how much longer have you been kept up until?
    This was one of the reasons why I left Primark. Even though we are contracted to end our shift at that time, staff are usually allowed about half an hour to 40 minutes to finish - obviously as long as the store is fully 'recovered.'
    Personally I've only ever done one evening shift there so I was lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    This was one of the reasons why I left Primark. Even though we are contracted to end our shift at that time, staff are usually allowed about half an hour to 40 minutes to finish - obviously as long as the store is fully 'recovered.'
    Personally I've only ever done one evening shift there so I was lucky.
    Hey! Many thanks for replying! I've been told to start my induction on Monday, but after being told my shift hours and that I wouldn't be leaving until around 7:30pm to 8pm, I'm not feeling too keen on taking up the job offer. I need to travel quite a long way to get to the store and the trains that I need to get to the store and back aren't very reliable (frequent delays!) so if I were to do the job, I will be getting home quite late every evening. Too bad that's the only shift they have available because the people seemed very friendly. I'm not quite sure what to do - don't know whether to accept the job or decline it. I'm desperate for a job, need the money, but the hours aren't suitable, and I don't know when I'm going to get another job offer. I feel that I would regret it if I decline the offer if I'm not able to find another job soon enough. Do you know whether it's easy to change my shifts after I've worked for them for a while and how long do I need to have worked there before I'm eligible to change my shift? And what about transfering to another Primark store? How long do I need to work at the store before I can ask for a transfer?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Many thanks for replying! I've been told to start my induction on Monday, but after being told my shift hours and that I wouldn't be leaving until around 7:30pm to 8pm, I'm not feeling too keen on taking up the job offer. I need to travel quite a long way to get to the store and the trains that I need to get to the store and back aren't very reliable (frequent delays!) so if I were to do the job, I will be getting home quite late every evening. Too bad that's the only shift they have available because the people seemed very friendly. I'm not quite sure what to do - don't know whether to accept the job or decline it. I'm desperate for a job, need the money, but the hours aren't suitable, and I don't know when I'm going to get another job offer. I feel that I would regret it if I decline the offer if I'm not able to find another job soon enough. Do you know whether it's easy to change my shifts after I've worked for them for a while and how long do I need to have worked there before I'm eligible to change my shift? And what about transfering to another Primark store? How long do I need to work at the store before I can ask for a transfer?
    Well unfortunately you will be on probation and that is 3 months so thereafter you can ask for a transfer and that's the same for asking to change/swap shifts.
    I'd say go for it for the time being and as you say you need the money. There are things we don't like doing in life but have to make sacrifices. :sadnod:

I have been lucky about changing shifts be cause of university. As you may imagine Primark has a high turnover of staff (mainly because a majority of the staff are students) but think of it this way - what you don't ask you (possibly) don't get! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Well unfortunately you will be on probation and that is 3 months so thereafter you can ask for a transfer and that's the same for asking to change/swap shifts.
    I'd say go for it for the time being and as you say you need the money. There are things we don't like doing in life but have to make sacrifices. :sadnod:

I have been lucky about changing shifts be cause of university. As you may imagine Primark has a high turnover of staff (mainly because a majority of the staff are students) but think of it this way - what you don't ask you (possibly) don't get! :yes:
    Thanks for the advice. Still don't know what to do - I've applied to other Primark branches that are more closer to get to, so I'm hoping that I'll get invited to an interview and hopefully be given a job, but I feel like I'm pushing my luck. When you worked there and had to do your one-off evening shift, did they make you tidy up just your section or did you also have to help tidy up the rest of the shop floor? Does the place need to be absolutely tidy before you're allowed to leave for the day?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. Still don't know what to do - I've applied to other Primark branches that are more closer to get to, so I'm hoping that I'll get invited to an interview and hopefully be given a job, but I feel like I'm pushing my luck. When you worked there and had to do your one-off evening shift, did they make you tidy up just your section or did you also have to help tidy up the rest of the shop floor? Does the place need to be absolutely tidy before you're allowed to leave for the day?
    I believe that is one of the concepts of hiring evening staff - to prepare the store ready for the morning.
    Well they stick you to a section and you have to keep it tidy at all times during store opening hours right through the end of your shift. When you have completely finished recovering your section you have to help other departments (say hello to Teamwork!) tidy up the rest of the store.
    I've actually remembered that I was contracted to work 2 evening shifts like yours and this was literally what was involved. :lol:
    It's tedious but obviously needs to be done. When you go shopping (particularly in Primark) this is what you literally see!

ReputationRep:
    I believe that is one of the concepts of hiring evening staff - to prepare the store ready for the morning.
    Well they stick you to a section and you have to keep it tidy at all times during store opening hours right through the end of your shift. When you have completely finished recovering your section you have to help other departments (say hello to Teamwork!) tidy up the rest of the store.
    I've actually remembered that I was contracted to work 2 evening shifts like yours and this was literally what was involved. :lol:
    It's tedious but obviously needs to be done. When you go shopping (particularly in Primark) this is what you literally see!
    Out of interest, what shift did you do? Was it a weekend or weekday contract? Were your shifts the same hours? For example, say you were given a weekday contract and told that your shift will be from 3pm - 7pm, does that mean that you'll be working Mondays to Fridays at those hours? Or does it vary a bit, so on Monday my shift could be 3pm - 7pm, but then on Tuesday it could be 1pm - 5pm, and then on Wednesday it's 2pm - 6pm etc.? I ask this because I forgot to ask the person interviewing me whether my hours are going to be the same Mondays to Fridays.

ReputationRep:
    I worked 5-9 Monday to Friday and we were always out 9pm on the dot
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, what shift did you do? Was it a weekend or weekday contract? Were your shifts the same hours? For example, say you were given a weekday contract and told that your shift will be from 3pm - 7pm, does that mean that you'll be working Mondays to Fridays at those hours? Or does it vary a bit, so on Monday my shift could be 3pm - 7pm, but then on Tuesday it could be 1pm - 5pm, and then on Wednesday it's 2pm - 6pm etc.? I ask this because I forgot to ask the person interviewing me whether my hours are going to be the same Mondays to Fridays.
    Mine was mainly weekend because of college and uni.
    At first I used do 4pm-8pm and then transferred to another store where I did at least 8 hours in 2 days; then transferred again and did 12-4 which was personally better than the other hours I did.
    I did the odd overtime - but only the one time and that was it.

Have you had a look at your contract about what hours you will be doing though?

ReputationRep:
    Mine was mainly weekend because of college and uni.
    At first I used do 4pm-8pm and then transferred to another store where I did at least 8 hours in 2 days; then transferred again and did 12-4 which was personally better than the other hours I did.
    I did the odd overtime - but only the one time and that was it.

Have you had a look at your contract about what hours you will be doing though?
    I wish they had given me a 12 - 4pm shift. I would've happily accept the job offer if that was the case. Even though it will still be a long commute, but at least I know I won't be getting home too late, which is the main factor that's making me feel I should decline the offer and wait around for other job offers.

I wasn't given my contract at the interview. But I was sent an email with a link to the Myworkday website where I would have to log in and fill in my personal details like my bank account and do a health and safety test. I don't know whether it would state what my hours are because I haven't logged in because I don't want to create an account if I don't end up working there because as I've also applied to other Primark branches, I'm thinking that if I do get another job at a different Primark, it would create confusion on their system if they send me another link to create another Myworkday account. Do you know whether the Myworkday account will state what the contracted hours are?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I wish they had given me a 12 - 4pm shift. I would've happily accept the job offer if that was the case. Even though it will still be a long commute, but at least I know I won't be getting home too late, which is the main factor that's making me feel I should decline the offer and wait around for other job offers.

I wasn't given my contract at the interview. But I was sent an email with a link to the Myworkday website where I would have to log in and fill in my personal details like my bank account and do a health and safety test. I don't know whether it would state what my hours are because I haven't logged in because I don't want to create an account if I don't end up working there because as I've also applied to other Primark branches, I'm thinking that if I do get another job at a different Primark, it would create confusion on their system if they send me another link to create another Myworkday account. Do you know whether the Myworkday account will state what the contracted hours are?
    I'm sorry but the recruitment process has definitely changed for me since I've first started working there (back in the day in 2007!) so I do apologise that I can't help you!

Do you have an induction date; maybe you can ask the store's HR department probably???

ReputationRep:
    Never. I don't think we were let out any earlier than half an hour after shift. Record was an hour and 15 minutes.

ReputationRep:

Contracted hours are still contracted hours regardless what time of day it is. If it is common practice for them to be asking staff to stay on significantly longer after the end of their contracted hours on a regular basis then
    1. They should be reviewing their contracts ( unless they are zero hours contracts which doesn’t appear to be the case here).

2. They should be informing you at interview.
    As far as I’m aware Primark is a unionised organisation under Usdaw - I’d consult them about this before you take up the role.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.