Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Apart from contacting SFE again, which i intend to do monday, I wanted to see if anyone has any advice or is in a similar situation. I am disabled and applied for DSA at university 1 back in 2012, I did not recieve any support in class regardless of emails and promises, on top of council refuses a carer for domestic help in accomodations, I pushed myself and complete the year, even though i ended up physically and mentally unwell. I changed to a 2nd uni and as uni 1 stopped communicating i did not get my grades and had to retake the first year at uni 2. same issues.. rinse and repeat, uni 2 was never told by their disability manager that i was disabled, so nothing was in place. uni 2 did not sort out support in class for the whole of the first year, yet promised it the second year, they did not keep their promise. I nearly got to end of second year but felt extremly unstable and dropped out. since dropping out mid 2015 I completed my counselling courses to deal with my anxieties and depressions which this whole situation gave me and also been currently doing internships in charity sector. I finally got the passion and determination to finish my degree. my issue here is: SFE agrees with proof they will write off my second year to medical issues. This leaves me with one year funding and a gift year. Every uni i have contacted so far will not take me on as a second year student, I would have to repeat first year for a third time. It's not what I want but willing to do so to get my degree. If i do this I will have no funding for year 3 of my course... One friend mentioned I could try talking to uni number 2 and see if they will allow me to join back as a second year student. I would rather be at a new university but I am considering emailing them as no harm in asking I guess. Just wondering what people would do in my shoes. Thanks in advance.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ririannie)
    Apart from contacting SFE again, which i intend to do monday, I wanted to see if anyone has any advice or is in a similar situation. I am disabled and applied for DSA at university 1 back in 2012, I did not recieve any support in class regardless of emails and promises, on top of council refuses a carer for domestic help in accomodations, I pushed myself and complete the year, even though i ended up physically and mentally unwell. I changed to a 2nd uni and as uni 1 stopped communicating i did not get my grades and had to retake the first year at uni 2. same issues.. rinse and repeat, uni 2 was never told by their disability manager that i was disabled, so nothing was in place. uni 2 did not sort out support in class for the whole of the first year, yet promised it the second year, they did not keep their promise. I nearly got to end of second year but felt extremly unstable and dropped out. since dropping out mid 2015 I completed my counselling courses to deal with my anxieties and depressions which this whole situation gave me and also been currently doing internships in charity sector. I finally got the passion and determination to finish my degree. my issue here is: SFE agrees with proof they will write off my second year to medical issues. This leaves me with one year funding and a gift year. Every uni i have contacted so far will not take me on as a second year student, I would have to repeat first year for a third time. It's not what I want but willing to do so to get my degree. If i do this I will have no funding for year 3 of my course... One friend mentioned I could try talking to uni number 2 and see if they will allow me to join back as a second year student. I would rather be at a new university but I am considering emailing them as no harm in asking I guess. Just wondering what people would do in my shoes. Thanks in advance.
    That is an unfortunate situation.

In that situation I would either begin a course at another university, and worry about 3rd year finances later.

Or, go back to uni 2, for year two entry, depending on the specific circumstances.

Hope your situation Get a sorted.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    That is an unfortunate situation.

In that situation I would either begin a course at another university, and worry about 3rd year finances later.

Or, go back to uni 2, for year two entry, depending on the specific circumstances.

Hope your situation Get a sorted.
    thank you for replying
    I got the courage to contact my old university. They see no problem with me applying to redo the second year. problem now is I wish to do part time and the course is full time. So awaiting to see if they will allow part time because of disability, otherwise I may have to do the first option you were thinking of too.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ririannie)
    thank you for replying
    I got the courage to contact my old university. They see no problem with me applying to redo the second year. problem now is I wish to do part time and the course is full time. So awaiting to see if they will allow part time because of disability, otherwise I may have to do the first option you were thinking of too.
    Think positive :rave:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.