Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apart from contacting SFE again, which i intend to do monday, I wanted to see if anyone has any advice or is in a similar situation. I am disabled and applied for DSA at university 1 back in 2012, I did not recieve any support in class regardless of emails and promises, on top of council refuses a carer for domestic help in accomodations, I pushed myself and complete the year, even though i ended up physically and mentally unwell. I changed to a 2nd uni and as uni 1 stopped communicating i did not get my grades and had to retake the first year at uni 2. same issues.. rinse and repeat, uni 2 was never told by their disability manager that i was disabled, so nothing was in place. uni 2 did not sort out support in class for the whole of the first year, yet promised it the second year, they did not keep their promise. I nearly got to end of second year but felt extremly unstable and dropped out. since dropping out mid 2015 I completed my counselling courses to deal with my anxieties and depressions which this whole situation gave me and also been currently doing internships in charity sector. I finally got the passion and determination to finish my degree. my issue here is: SFE agrees with proof they will write off my second year to medical issues. This leaves me with one year funding and a gift year. Every uni i have contacted so far will not take me on as a second year student, I would have to repeat first year for a third time. It's not what I want but willing to do so to get my degree. If i do this I will have no funding for year 3 of my course... One friend mentioned I could try talking to uni number 2 and see if they will allow me to join back as a second year student. I would rather be at a new university but I am considering emailing them as no harm in asking I guess. Just wondering what people would do in my shoes. Thanks in advance.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ririannie)
    Apart from contacting SFE again, which i intend to do monday, I wanted to see if anyone has any advice or is in a similar situation. I am disabled and applied for DSA at university 1 back in 2012, I did not recieve any support in class regardless of emails and promises, on top of council refuses a carer for domestic help in accomodations, I pushed myself and complete the year, even though i ended up physically and mentally unwell. I changed to a 2nd uni and as uni 1 stopped communicating i did not get my grades and had to retake the first year at uni 2. same issues.. rinse and repeat, uni 2 was never told by their disability manager that i was disabled, so nothing was in place. uni 2 did not sort out support in class for the whole of the first year, yet promised it the second year, they did not keep their promise. I nearly got to end of second year but felt extremly unstable and dropped out. since dropping out mid 2015 I completed my counselling courses to deal with my anxieties and depressions which this whole situation gave me and also been currently doing internships in charity sector. I finally got the passion and determination to finish my degree. my issue here is: SFE agrees with proof they will write off my second year to medical issues. This leaves me with one year funding and a gift year. Every uni i have contacted so far will not take me on as a second year student, I would have to repeat first year for a third time. It's not what I want but willing to do so to get my degree. If i do this I will have no funding for year 3 of my course... One friend mentioned I could try talking to uni number 2 and see if they will allow me to join back as a second year student. I would rather be at a new university but I am considering emailing them as no harm in asking I guess. Just wondering what people would do in my shoes. Thanks in advance.
    That is an unfortunate situation.

In that situation I would either begin a course at another university, and worry about 3rd year finances later.

Or, go back to uni 2, for year two entry, depending on the specific circumstances.

Hope your situation Get a sorted.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    That is an unfortunate situation.

In that situation I would either begin a course at another university, and worry about 3rd year finances later.

Or, go back to uni 2, for year two entry, depending on the specific circumstances.

Hope your situation Get a sorted.
    thank you for replying
    I got the courage to contact my old university. They see no problem with me applying to redo the second year. problem now is I wish to do part time and the course is full time. So awaiting to see if they will allow part time because of disability, otherwise I may have to do the first option you were thinking of too.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ririannie)
    thank you for replying
    I got the courage to contact my old university. They see no problem with me applying to redo the second year. problem now is I wish to do part time and the course is full time. So awaiting to see if they will allow part time because of disability, otherwise I may have to do the first option you were thinking of too.
    Think positive :rave:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.