Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Since starting sixth form for some reason when my secondary school friends want to meet, I don't know why but it's like I don't want to meet them. Even last week we were meant to meet up and everyone was willing to go, but for weeks I had this feeling that I don't want to meet them, it's like I don't know I just don't want to meet them. They haven't done anything bad or anything but it's like I am distancing myself away. Not just that even in our group chats some people talk, and I don't I just read the messages and don't respond. Why is this?!

ReputationRep:
    Did something happen in your life or is it because of your studies? Try to keep in contact with your friends as they are the best people to support you.

(Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Did something happen in your life or is it because of your studies? Try to keep in contact with your friends as they are the best people to support you.
    No, it's just that I am distancing myself away and they can see it. I mean at the beginning of September we kind of had an argument, but it was mostly because I was pissed that my friend kept on bringing back a topic that I didn't want to talk about, that to purposely so you could say I am still pissed. Plus, whenever I need them to come out with me they NEVER have time, but I would have time to go out with them, so it's unfair, I just felt like people were making excuses. Even on the group chat they say things like "I miss you guys", "can't wait to meet up", and in my head I am just like "I don't miss you guys".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No, it's just that I am distancing myself away and they can see it. I mean at the beginning of September we kind of had an argument, but it was mostly because I was pissed that my friend kept on bringing back a topic that I didn't want to talk about, that to purposely so you could say I am still pissed. Plus, whenever I need them to come out with me they NEVER have time, but I would have time to go out with them, so it's unfair, I just felt like people were making excuses. Even on the group chat they say things like "I miss you guys", "can't wait to meet up", and in my head I am just like "I don't miss you guys".
    Is there anyway you can talk to them about what is happened and resolve it so you can move on? Maybe they don't recognise how their actions are making you feel. Also, are you still interested in being friends with them?

ReputationRep:
    just see how it plays out , because what can you do anyways?

ReputationRep:
    Since starting sixth form for some reason when my secondary school friends want to meet, I don't know why but it's like I don't want to meet them. Even last week we were meant to meet up and everyone was willing to go, but for weeks I had this feeling that I don't want to meet them, it's like I don't know I just don't want to meet them. They haven't done anything bad or anything but it's like I am distancing myself away. Not just that even in our group chats some people talk, and I don't I just read the messages and don't respond. Why is this?!
    Almost over a year ago I was feeling exactly like this. I didn't want to speak to my secondary school friends. One of them even went to the same college as me. It got to the point where I always started avoiding the friend at college and whenever we'd come across each other she would hug me and say she misses me but I wouldn't say anything cos honestly I actually don't miss her. Not only that I wouldn't even hug back. I started avoiding and hiding which seems so bad. I delete gc messages without opening them. This year on enrolment day she was there and I walked right past her but eventually she ended up coming next to me and speaking and I felt so bad so I was like maybe we should hang out with my other 'friends'. Unfortunately when I made the effort none of them gave a crap so I gave up. Honestly I know exactly how you feel and let me tell you one thing. Today I only stay in contact with TWO people from secondary school, literally TWO people. That's it. Secondary school friends aren't exactly THE friends, do you know what I mean? And the only reason why you're feeling like this is because you're no longer around them, you're around different people and you like being with different people. Within you, you just wanna have a change for once you know. It's not odd to feel like this. I feel like this even today. I'm still on the gc with my friends from last year but I never look at it. Everyone at some point goes through this situation so you are not the only one. If you have new friends you've made at sixth form who you actually get along with etc then that's fine. I know you'll feel bad about this but slowly they start going from friends to just so called 'friends' cos you're no longer close with them.

I hope you don't mind that I'm saying all this. It's just that I've been through a similar situation and I still am, I'm in my second year and I feel like this today and honestly I don't feel as guilty anymore cos everything changes. Our priorities, friends, career paths, journeys are all different and at some point you just have to let go and move on you know?

Now I feel guilty for saying this but it's the truth. The way you're feeling now shows that you're drifting apart from them and idk if I should say that's a good thing or not cos that's completely up to how you think it is for you.

Okay I've said so much. I'll conclude with this.. it's okay to feel like this. Trust me. Good luck with sixth form 👍🏼
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Is there anyway you can talk to them about what is happened and resolve it so you can move on? Maybe they don't recognise how their actions are making you feel. Also, are you still interested in being friends with them?
    But there is no problem that's the thing, just that I am in a new environment without them and I am coping.

(Original post by ILuvFood1234)
    Almost over a year ago I was feeling exactly like this. I didn't want to speak to my secondary school friends. One of them even went to the same college as me. It got to the point where I always started avoiding the friend at college and whenever we'd come across each other she would hug me and say she misses me but I wouldn't say anything cos honestly I actually don't miss her. Not only that I wouldn't even hug back. I started avoiding and hiding which seems so bad. I delete gc messages without opening them. This year on enrolment day she was there and I walked right past her but eventually she ended up coming next to me and speaking and I felt so bad so I was like maybe we should hang out with my other 'friends'. Unfortunately when I made the effort none of them gave a crap so I gave up. Honestly I know exactly how you feel and let me tell you one thing. Today I only stay in contact with TWO people from secondary school, literally TWO people. That's it. Secondary school friends aren't exactly THE friends, do you know what I mean? And the only reason why you're feeling like this is because you're no longer around them, you're around different people and you like being with different people. Within you, you just wanna have a change for once you know. It's not odd to feel like this. I feel like this even today. I'm still on the gc with my friends from last year but I never look at it. Everyone at some point goes through this situation so you are not the only one. If you have new friends you've made at sixth form who you actually get along with etc then that's fine. I know you'll feel bad about this but slowly they start going from friends to just so called 'friends' cos you're no longer close with them.

I hope you don't mind that I'm saying all this. It's just that I've been through a similar situation and I still am, I'm in my second year and I feel like this today and honestly I don't feel as guilty anymore cos everything changes. Our priorities, friends, career paths, journeys are all different and at some point you just have to let go and move on you know?

Now I feel guilty for saying this but it's the truth. The way you're feeling now shows that you're drifting apart from them and idk if I should say that's a good thing or not cos that's completely up to how you think it is for you.

Okay I've said so much. I'll conclude with this.. it's okay to feel like this. Trust me. Good luck with sixth form 👍🏼
    Thanks, I understand it now. I mean that I don't see any of them anymore, plus I have made new friends and I am in a new environment so that's why I feel as if I am changing. Nevertheless, the things that you wrote saying how who you would avoid makes me feel upset, because I am doing that on the group chat, and I would never do it in real life because I am not like that. But it's just that if you met me in real life, then you would know how in secondary I wouldn't stick to my friends I would ALWAYS move around which was why I had a lot of friends because I can't stick to the same people and place again and again. My personality is like it wants change I just can't always be in the same place. So I guess that's what has happened, I am changing, but it's not like I don't want to be friends with them anymore. The same thing happened 2 months ago when I was with new people in a new environment I was missing my secondary friends because they were the only people I had. But now that I have new friends, you see it's different. I see my new friends everyday and we live in the same area so it's convenient.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I understand it now. I mean that I don't see any of them anymore, plus I have made new friends and I am in a new environment so that's why I feel as if I am changing. Nevertheless, the things that you wrote saying how who you would avoid makes me feel upset, because I am doing that on the group chat, and I would never do it in real life because I am not like that. But it's just that if you met me in real life, then you would know how in secondary I wouldn't stick to my friends I would ALWAYS move around which was why I had a lot of friends because I can't stick to the same people and place again and again. My personality is like it wants change I just can't always be in the same place. So I guess that's what has happened, I am changing, but it's not like I don't want to be friends with them anymore. The same thing happened 2 months ago when I was with new people in a new environment I was missing my secondary friends because they were the only people I had. But now that I have new friends, you see it's different. I see my new friends everyday and we live in the same area so it's convenient.
    There's a whole difference with secondary school friends and the friends that you have now. As the days go on you'll start to feel less guilty because you have your new friends and you're focusing on different things that aren't related to your secondary school friends. You won't think as much about them anymore and neither will you even feel like keeping in contact. Just carry on with what you're doing, focus on your new environment and your new friends, your course etc. Don't look back to the past. You'll soon realise you won't have time for your secondary school friends and neither will they have time for you. That's just how life is. Everyone moves on with or without you. For now focus on yourself. Everything will be okay. And with your new friends it's best if you just stick with the particular group you are with now rather than going to different people. Of course you should mingle here and there but keep the friendship group you are with now as your main one. And as for your secondary school friends... don't worry about that. Just do you. ✌🏽
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by qam)
    just see how it plays out , because what can you do anyways?
    (Original post by ILuvFood1234)

The thing is that when I wanted them to come to my: showcase, talent shows, funding event, graduation, they couldn't come. And now when one of my friends has an event everyone is going, it doesn't affect me but it is not fair because when I needed them to come to my events they didn't come. So why should I go? The thing is that I will go because I don't let people down, but I really don't want to go.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.