Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    It's most certainly false, like i said take  f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R} given by  f(x)=x . Then f is surjective but  f^2 is not.
    but i thought x^2 was surjective? because you can pick 2 values such as 1 and -1 which give the same answer so it can't be injective?

so i've abandoned what i thought was the definition of surjective and turned to the horizontal line test which tells me if the function is injective or not, combined with the vertical line test then i know that certain fucntions and whatnot but i dont' understand then how x^3 is surjective too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp2)
    but i thought x^2 was surjective? because you can pick 2 values such as 1 and -1 which give the same answer so it can't be injective?

so i've abandoned what i thought was the definition of surjective and turned to the horizontal line test which tells me if the function is injective or not, combined with the vertical line test then i know that certain fucntions and whatnot but i dont' understand then how x^3 is surjective too
    Yeah the function f(x)=x^2 is not injective nor surjective.
    What is your undertsanding of what a surjective function is?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the function f(x)=x^2 is not injective nor surjective.
    What is your undertsanding of what a surjective function is?
    wat but i thought it was within the realm of R->R

For any x^2 value that is chosen, there is a corresponding y value in the domain which gives you the x^2 value

but dats not right, cus then i start classing something like 2x+1 as surjective cus you can pick out any y that gives you the 2x+1 value i choose

ReputationRep:
    wat but i thought it was within the realm of R->R

For any x^2 value that is chosen, there is a corresponding y value in the domain which gives you the x^2 value

but dats not right, cus then i start classing something like 2x+1 as surjective cus you can pick out any y that gives you the 2x+1 value i choose
    All because there is more than one x value that gives you the y value doesnt mean the function is not surjective - it just means it is not injective.

ReputationRep:
    All because there is more than one x value that gives you the y value doesnt mean the function is not surjective - it just means it is not injective.
    ye so turns out then than any x^3 -nx where n just a natural number then that makes one of those lumpy graph with a nice clear hump and underhump

so for me that's surjective only according to my weak ass definition

so how is x^3 surjective then? surely it's only injective because there's 1 x value for each y value right?

ReputationRep:
    ye so turns out then than any x^3 -nx where n just a natural number then that makes one of those lumpy graph with a nice clear hump and underhump

so for me that's surjective only according to my weak ass definition

so how is x^3 surjective then? surely it's only injective because there's 1 x value for each y value right?
    It's surjective because for every  q \in \mathbb{R} there is a  p\in \mathbb{R} such that  f(p)=q namely p is the cube root of q. That's what surjective means that every value in the co domain is mapped to by some element in the domain.

ReputationRep:
    It's surjective because for every  q \in \mathbb{R} there is a  p\in \mathbb{R} such that  f(p)=q namely p is the cube root of q. That's what surjective means that every value in the co domain is mapped to by some element in the domain.
    -________________________________ _____-

but then x^2 is surjective tho cus if i say 5 then you can pick root 5 which squares to make x ._______.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think i do either :/ what i understood it to be as that for any x value i can pick out, there' s a corresponding y value which gives me that x value i just picked

i just don't then undertstand what it means for "its image to be equal to its co-domain" does it mean for R->R then that all the real numbers can come out of the function?
    Yes if you are taking R to be the codomain then all real numbers must come out of the function and thus all you need to do is find a real number that doesn't come out of (f(x))^2.

ReputationRep:
    -________________________________ _____-

but then x^2 is surjective tho cus if i say 5 then you can pick root 5 which squares to make x ._______.
    But what if I say -1, what real number are you gonna square to get -1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    Yes if you are taking R to be the codomain then all real numbers must come out of the function and thus all you need to do is find a real number that doesn't come out of (f(x))^2.
    But what if I say -1, what real number are you gonna square to get -1?
    Oh right i understand sudenly now

so all i need to do is pick a value for which the function of which i suppose is surjective can't produce got it

finally afetr and hour of my idiocy

ReputationRep:
    Oh right i understand sudenly now

so all i need to do is pick a value for which the function of which i suppose is surjective can't produce got it

finally afetr and hour of my idiocy
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly!
    good lord i understand why no-one wants to help me .---------------.

so that means i did the first one wrong then

so for the question i posed even if i swap the word surjective with injective i can still use x and x^2 as examples?

ReputationRep:
    good lord i understand why no-one wants to help me .---------------.

so that means i did the first one wrong then

so for the question i posed even if i swap the word surjective with injective i can still use x and x^2 as examples?
    The function f(x)=x^2 is not injective so the claim that if f is injective then f^2 is injective is false - so if that's what you mean then yes.

ReputationRep:
    The function f(x)=x^2 is not injective so the claim that if f is injective then f^2 is injective is false - so if that's what you mean then yes.
    this is the last post before i pick this up again tomorrow

i've put

i claim that g(x) is not injectiive. To substantiate let f(x)=x, then g(x)=x². Choose x_1=1 and x_2=-1. Then g(x_1)=1 and g(x_2)=1 but 1=/=-1 therefore g(x) is not an injective function.

Does that still work?

ReputationRep:
    this is the last post before i pick this up again tomorrow

i've put

i claim that g(x) is not injectiive. To substantiate let f(x)=x, then g(x)=x². Choose x_1=1 and x_2=-1. Then g(x_1)=1 and g(x_2)=1 but 1=/=-1 therefore g(x) is not an injective function.

Does that still work?
    Yeah that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's fine.
    so then this

will answer the question

"if f:\mathbb R \Rightarrow \mathbb R is injective, the so is g(x) :=[f(x)]^2"

can be copied and modified slightly and this

i claim that g(x) is not surjectiive. To substantiate let f(x)=x, then g(x)=x². Choose x_1=1 and x_2=-1. Then g(x_1)=1 and g(x_2)=1 but 1=/=-1 therefore g(x) is not an surjective function.

will answer the question

"if f:\mathbb R \Rightarrow \mathbb R is surjective, the so is g(x) :=[f(x)]^2"
    right?

ReputationRep:
    so then this

will answer the question

"if f:\mathbb R \Rightarrow \mathbb R is injective, the so is g(x) :=[f(x)]^2"

can be copied and modified slightly and this

i claim that g(x) is not surjectiive. To substantiate let f(x)=x, then g(x)=x². Choose x_1=1 and x_2=-1. Then g(x_1)=1 and g(x_2)=1 but 1=/=-1 therefore g(x) is not an surjective function.

will answer the question

"if f:\mathbb R \Rightarrow \mathbb R is surjective, the so is g(x) :=[f(x)]^2"
    right?
    The reasoning for g not being surjective is not right - all you have shown is that g is not injective again.

ReputationRep:
    The reasoning for g not being surjective is not right - all you have shown is that g is not injective again.
    ok, so then let's say

i claim that g(x) is not surjectiive. To substantiate let f(x)=x, then g(x)=x². Let g(x)=-1, then -1=x² but \nexists x \in \mathbb R : x^2 =-1. Therefore g(x) is not a surjective function.

is that ok?

ReputationRep:
    ok, so then let's say

i claim that g(x) is not surjectiive. To substantiate let f(x)=x, then g(x)=x². Let g(x)=-1, then -1=x² but \nexists x \in \mathbb R : x^2 =-1. Therefore g(x) is not a surjective function.

is that ok?
    Yeah that does it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that does it.
    Great thanks so much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.