Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English in Schools: UK education crisis? Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    News in the last couple of years about re-marking, particularly for English, has shown quite worrying signs about marking inaccuracies.

There's an English teacher recruitment crisis, according to Professor John Howsom.

One head teacher claims that English is now a less enjoyable subject thanks to a "narrowing of the curriculum".

Is the study of English in secondary schools reaching a crisis point?

Full article here

ReputationRep:
    The recruitment crisis I definitely agree with. At my previous secondary school, the turnover rate for English teachers is extremely high. It seems like at least 1/3rd of the teachers are new each year! And this is supposedly one of the best schools in the area, and it's quite an affluent area as well. Can't imagine what the situation is like in less-well-funded schools.

As for the curriculum, I'll say that as a member of the first cohort to take the new 9-1 English GCSE, it's stupid. English should not be a test of how well you can memorise a text's quotes and methods. It shouldn't be solely judged on analytical essays and the odd bit of creative writing. I say more focus on speaking. After all, it's the most important mode of communication.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    The recruitment crisis I definitely agree with. At my previous secondary school, the turnover rate for English teachers is extremely high. It seems like at least 1/3rd of the teachers are new each year! And this is supposedly one of the best schools in the area, and it's quite an affluent area as well. Can't imagine what the situation is like in less-well-funded schools.

As for the curriculum, I'll say that as a member of the first cohort to take the new 9-1 English GCSE, it's stupid. English should not be a test of how well you can memorise a text's quotes and methods. It shouldn't be solely judged on analytical essays and the odd bit of creative writing. I say more focus on speaking. After all, it's the most important mode of communication.
    Taking the points you've made about the curriculum, do you think this is specific to just English or common across other subjects too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Taking the points you've made about the curriculum, do you think this is specific to just English or common across other subjects too?
    To some extent Science as well. GCSE science has too much of memorising definitions for 1-mark answers. You shouldn't have to put the exact exam-spec definition to get the mark. There should be more emphasis on applying what you know to unfamiliar situations.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.