Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you're ethnically English/British, do you consider yourself European? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you consider yourself a European?
    Yes
    51.16%
    No
    23.26%
    Sort-of
    25.58%

ReputationRep:
    I personally have a few thoughts about this:

1. As our law, culture and history are explicably linked, then we are Europeans. Don't forget the crowds that say 'Well we're white so yeah'.

2. Britain is not connected to the European landmass, and we have more cultural affinity to far abroad Anglophone countries such as the U.S. and Australia while we have essentially been in simultaneous constant war with continental Europeans (France hundred years war, WW2 etc).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I am ethnically British, but Welsh and consider myself a European.

ReputationRep:
    Britain is (currently) part of Europe so you're European whether you like it or not.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Britain is (currently) part of Europe so you're European whether you like it or not.
    1. What do you mean by 'currently part of Europe'

2. I'm not anti-European by any stretch of the imagination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionheart27)
    1. What do you mean by 'currently part of Europe'

2. I'm not anti-European by any stretch of the imagination.
    1. Europe is a continent. Britain is in said continent.

2. I didn't say or imply you were.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do. I don't want us to be the 51st US state.

European first, English second, British third.

ReputationRep:
      No

ReputationRep:
      " Britain is not connected to the European landmass" Britain is still part f the continent of Eupore and every component of what you'd call ethnic British i.e Saxons, Celts, Normans, Jutes, Nords, pre-Celtic settlers etc comes from the European landmass anyway.

"we have more cultural affinity to far abroad Anglophone countries" They are countries we created lmao

ReputationRep:
      1. Europe is a continent. Britain is in said continent.

2. I didn't say or imply you were.

I would argue that Britain is not apart of Europe. That's like saying Iceland is apart of Europe; it isn't - geographically speaking - which is what is usually implied regarding continental land boundaries.

ReputationRep:
      Honestly no, I think it's maybe because we're off the continent?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mdnte)
      " Britain is not connected to the European landmass" Britain is still part f the continent of Eupore and every component of what you'd call ethnic British i.e Saxons, Celts, Normans, Jutes, Nords, pre-Celtic settlers etc comes from the European landmass anyway.

"we have more cultural affinity to far abroad Anglophone countries" They are countries we created lmao
      If China had a foreign protectorate situated in the English Channel but had extensive European cultural cohesion, would you consider the Chinese that dwelt within it European? No. Same with Britian and other Anglo countries.

Still my opinion, not trying to persuade or anything.

ReputationRep:
      I would argue that Britain is not apart of Europe. That's like saying Iceland is apart of Europe; it isn't - geographically speaking - which is what is usually implied regarding continental land boundaries.
      Based on what?

It's not the same at all. Parts of Iceland are in Europe and parts are in NA so there's a bit of ambiguity there but since most of it is in Europe it's usually considered to be part of Europe. All of Britain is in Europe so it's not like Iceland at all.

ReputationRep:
      Based on what?

It's not the same at all. Parts of Iceland are in Europe and parts are in NA so there's a bit of ambiguity there but since most of it is in Europe it's usually considered to be part of Europe. All of Britain is in Europe so it's not like Iceland at all.
      The European continent is considered as the boundaries of the Urals, Greece, Spain and the north of Sweden. If Britain is not apart of this landmass, then how is it considered European? What you're talking about is cultural affinity based on racial lines which I don't agree with.

Would you consider Australians European or Oceanian? Same oddness.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Peer Support Volunteers
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      Britain is a part of Europe. To argue it isn't is pretty pointless considering it is a geographical statement of fact, no matter what our membership status within the European Union or any other social or political reasons. The British Isles are in Europe!

Yes, I consider myself European.

ReputationRep:
      The European continent is considered as the boundaries of the Urals, Greece, Spain and the north of Sweden. If Britain is not apart of this landmass, then how is it considered European? What you're talking about is cultural affinity based on racial lines which I don't agree with.

Would you consider Australians European or Oceanian? Same oddness.
      No, that's 'mainland Europe'. The western boundary of Europe is the Atlantic.

ReputationRep:
      No, that's 'mainland Europe'. The western boundary of Europe is the Atlantic.
      So white people who are born in North America are not considered Europeans, but just 'American'? What about white Mexicans that can trace their lineage to Spain? Are they not European?

If not, then Geography is the only variable you consider. As the only geography of the European landmass is considered to end at the channel, then Britain can't be considered European.

ReputationRep:
      So white people who are born in North America are not considered Europeans, but just 'American'? What about white Mexicans that can trace their lineage to Spain? Are they not European?

If not, then Geography is the only variable you consider. As the only geography of the European landmass is considered to end at the channel, then Britain can't be considered European.
      What 'white people'? If you consider yourself American (US), then since America is part of the continent of North America, you must also consider yourself north American.
      If they are considering themselves mexican, and Mexico is part of north America, then they are also north American.
      If you consider yourself British, then since Britain is part of Europe, you're also European.

Again, that is 'mainland Europe'. The western border of Europe is the Atlantic and the UK is inside it.

ReputationRep:
      What 'white people'? If you consider yourself American (US), then since America is part of the continent of North America, you must also consider yourself north American.
      If they are considering themselves mexican, and Mexico is part of north America, then they are also north American.
      If you consider yourself British, then since Britain is part of Europe, you're also European.

Again, that is 'mainland Europe'. The western border of Europe is the Atlantic and the UK is inside it.
      So Europe is the European landmass and 'a bit into the atlantic' .. gotcha...

considering your logic where does this area end? I don't get it

ReputationRep:
      So Europe is the European landmass and 'a bit into the atlantic' .. gotcha...

considering your logic where does this area end? I don't get it
      What don't you get? I said multiple times where the western border is. That's where it ends on the western side.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.