Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you're ethnically English/British, do you consider yourself European? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you consider yourself a European?
    Yes
    51.16%
    No
    23.26%
    Sort-of
    25.58%

• TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    European is the only thing I consider myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    What don't you get? I said multiple times where the western border is. That's where it ends on the western side.
    What 'Western side'? What imaginary boundary are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    I am English; therefore, I'm British; ergo, I'm European.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously yes. The UK is in EUROPE hence brits are european.

ReputationRep:
    We are in Europe, EU or not. The EU does not equal Europe.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    No such thing as 'ethnically English'. People in England are practically the same as people living in Ireland/Wales/Scotland. Like it or not, and I know a number of Gaels who retch at the idea, if you are white and live in Kent, the chances are excellent that you're related to someone in Mayo.

When someone asks me my nationality I say British, but I like the EU too. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionheart27)
    I would argue that Britain is not apart of Europe. That's like saying Iceland is apart of Europe; it isn't - geographically speaking - which is what is usually implied regarding continental land boundaries.
    Geographically, both Iceland, the UK and Ireland are located on the Eurasian plate, which is divided into the continents of Europe and Asia. I don't know about you but I wouldn't consider any of them to be in Asia.

ReputationRep:
    First and foremost, ENGLISH, since England is the only relevant country within the UK, to be honest.

Everyone living in the UK is European, by definition. There are seven continents and everyone is part of one. We are European.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It's like saying if you're English do you consider yourself human? Well by definition yes one belongs to the other.

ReputationRep:
    we have more cultural affinity to far abroad Anglophone countries such as the U.S. and Australia while we have essentially been in simultaneous constant war with continental Europeans (France hundred years war, WW2 etc).
    We have more cultural affinity with the very countries we colonised as the largest empire in history... Can't say I saw that one coming...

Seriously though, the question is meaningless really... The UK is in Europe whether people like it or not. If you're English/British, then you're European in the same way that citizens of Ceuta are Spanish, and thus European, despite the city being located in Northern Africa...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    No such thing as 'ethnically English'. People in England are practically the same as people living in Ireland/Wales/Scotland. Like it or not, and I know a number of Gaels who retch at the idea, if you are white and live in Kent, the chances are excellent that you're related to someone in Mayo.

When someone asks me my nationality I say British, but I like the EU too. :dontknow:
    'No such thing as ethnically English' - well you're wrong there

After William the ******* invaded in 1066 we've had close to 1,000 years of Celt/Norse/Norman/Anglo-Saxon admixture which in my view has coalesced into a distinct genetic and nationalistic ethnic identity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Britain is (currently) part of Europe so you're European whether you like it or not.
    An Irishman is also a Briton whether they like it or not but try telling that to one of them and you're going to have to train up your running skills a little.

The question is about identity, not fact. We're also all on the Earth and in North Europe, but I doubt anyone identifies as Earthian or North European in significant numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allemagne)
    Geographically, both Iceland, the UK and Ireland are located on the Eurasian plate, which is divided into the continents of Europe and Asia. I don't know about you but I wouldn't consider any of them to be in Asia.
    How on Earth does tectonic activity define ethnic identity? As Europe is a landmass we are distinct from it therefore not burdened by it
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    'No such thing as ethnically English' - well you're wrong there

After William the ******* invaded in 1066 we've had close to 1,000 years of Celt/Norse/Norman/Anglo-Saxon admixture which in my view has coalesced into a distinct genetic and nationalistic ethnic identity
    Genetics don't lie. You can argue England has a different culture (and perhaps identity) to other parts of the British Isles, but ethnically we are all the same.

ReputationRep:
    How on Earth does tectonic activity define ethnic identity? As Europe is a landmass we are distinct from it therefore not burdened by it
    Actually, the UK is part of the same continental crust. In that regard (you were the one that mentioned geography), the UK is in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Because people came to Britannia from Europe. You're trying to sound unnecessarily smart and sounding the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    Anglo Saxons originated from France so ethnically british people can probably trace their ancestry back there. Unless they're Irish or really far north in scotland.

ReputationRep:
    What 'Western side'? What imaginary boundary are you talking about?
    The continental shelf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Anglo Saxons originated from France so ethnically british people can probably trace their ancestry back there. Unless they're Irish or really far north in scotland.
    It's actually Northern Germany, but yeah. Try telling a few Kippers we're named after part of Germany and watch them have a fit. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angeln

ReputationRep:
    By definition

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.