The Student Room Group

If you're ethnically English/British, do you consider yourself European?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I feel more affinity to Europeans than I do the Americans or Aussies, personally.
Original post by gjd800
I feel more affinity to Europeans than I do the Americans or Aussies, personally.

You'd get on more with a Frenchman/German than a WASP American?
Reply 42
Original post by lionheart27
'No such thing as ethnically English' - well you're wrong there

After William the ******* invaded in 1066 we've had close to 1,000 years of Celt/Norse/Norman/Anglo-Saxon admixture which in my view has coalesced into a distinct genetic and nationalistic ethnic identity

Well, as long as you think it.
Reply 43
Original post by Laissez‒faire

Yes. I've met/worked with considerably more, too.
Original post by lionheart27
As the only geography of the European landmass is considered to end at the channel, then Britain can't be considered European.

Says who??? Every geography of Europe that I know includes Britain, in the same way that it includes Malta, parts of Denmark, Ireland, Sicily (part of Italy) and Svalbard. If Britain isn't European, which continent do you suggest this country does belong to?
Original post by Lit teacher
Says who??? Every geography of Europe that I know includes Britain, in the same way that it includes Malta, parts of Denmark, Ireland, Sicily (part of Italy) and Svalbard. If Britain isn't European, which continent do you suggest this country does belong to?

I think OP needs to see this:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
I identify as Pacific Oceanian
Original post by Student-95
Britain is (currently) part of Europe so you're European whether you like it or not.

You realise continents are based on tectonic plates right? So by 'currently' either you are relating it to the EU which is not relevant at all, or you're suggesting in 100 million years when continental drift occurs we won't be part of Europe, which also isn't relevant. FYI geographical, legal, political, ethical and cultural identification are all different, being physically a part of Europe has no bearing on whether people self-identify as European or not.
Original post by GovernmentEarner
You realise continents are based on tectonic plates right? So by 'currently' either you are relating it to the EU which is not relevant at all, or you're suggesting in 100 million years when continental drift occurs we won't be part of Europe, which also isn't relevant. FYI geographical, legal, political, ethical and cultural identification are all different, being physically a part of Europe has no bearing on whether people self-identify as European or not.

Of course it's relevant. The UK could drift off and end up somewhere else. If the geography of the planet changes significantly Europe may cease to exist altogether.
If you're identifying as being a part of Europe then of course you're European. You may choose not to self-identify as European but it's still true.
Original post by Laissez‒faire

From experience of working in the USA, yes. You can add Nowegian, Swede, Dane, Croat, Italian, Spaniard and Greek to the list of those I share an affinity with too.
From experience of working in the USA, yes. You can add Nowegian, Swede, Dane, Croat, Italian, Spaniard and Greek to the list of those I share an affinity with too.

That's ridiculous. Swedes and Norwegians are nothing like Greeks and Italians. You might as well identify with Pakistanis, Syrians or Uighurs.

In fact Italians are more like Arabs in many ways than they are like Brits. It seems foolish to limit your self-identification to Europeans to spite the Americans, only to stop at Christian Europe.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
That's ridiculous. Swedes and Norwegians are nothing like Greeks and Italians. You might as well identify with Pakistanis, Syrians or Uighurs.

In fact Italians are more like Arabs in many ways than they are like Brits. It seems foolish to limit your self-identification to Europeans to spite the Americans, only to stop at Christian Europe.

I think you have missed the context. I've spent time with various nationalities. The poster asked if someone feels more in common with a Frenchman or German than they do with a red-neck American. For me, the answer is definitely yes. I'm not saying that Swedes are identical to Greeks, but from those that I've met, they are actually not that different. Different language perhaps, but enjoy the same jokes, value friendship, care about their families etc.
And yes, it is foolish to stop at Christian Europe. I spent a month in India and met some great people, who made me welcome and shared the same values. The language and religion may be different, but we're all members of the same race. We have #more in common than that which divides us.
Original post by Snufkin
No such thing as 'ethnically English'. People in England are practically the same as people living in Ireland/Wales/Scotland. Like it or not, and I know a number of Gaels who retch at the idea, if you are white and live in Kent, the chances are excellent that you're related to someone in Mayo.

When someone asks me my nationality I say British, but I like the EU too. :dontknow:

Genuinely believe that East and Southern England is genetically distinct from the North and West country and that ''studies'' which show the English are mostly Celt fail to account from this difference.
I think you have missed the context. I've spent time with various nationalities. The poster asked if someone feels more in common with a Frenchman or German than they do with a red-neck American. For me, the answer is definitely yes. I'm not saying that Swedes are identical to Greeks, but from those that I've met, they are actually not that different. Different language perhaps, but enjoy the same jokes, value friendship, care about their families etc.
And yes, it is foolish to stop at Christian Europe. I spent a month in India and met some great people, who made me welcome and shared the same values. The language and religion may be different, but we're all members of the same race. We have #more in common than that which divides us.

A WASP is not a redneck American. A WASP is a mainline protestant whose ancestors most likely fought for the Union and possibly even supported the underground railroad, maybe works in law and whilst they may form part of the elite, generally has liberal social values.

WASP = The Clintons, Bill Gates, John Kerry (sort of), Roosevelt, Lincoln, Washington

It's not a bloody redneck who sits around with his Confederate flag doing meth all day
(edited 6 years ago)
For those who are still having trouble

WASP:
A WASP is not a redneck American. A WASP is a mainline protestant whose ancestors most likely fought for the Union and possibly even supported the underground railroad, maybe works in law and whilst they may form part of the elite, generally has liberal social values.

WASP = The Clintons, Bill Gates, John Kerry (sort of), Roosevelt, Lincoln, Washington

It's not a bloody redneck who sits around with his Confederate flag doing meth all day

WASP - White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. That covers a broad spectrum and maybe has different connotations for you. Assuming that the two chaps in the picture above are stereotypes, I don't think we have much in common.
My comments still stand about finding affinity with people from other countries who share the same values. Nationality is an accident of birth, over which we have little choice. Nationalism is the ethos of taking credit for things you haven't done, and hating people you've never met.
(edited 6 years ago)
WASP - White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. That covers a broad spectrum and maybe has different connotations for you. Assuming that the two chaps in the picture above are stereotypes, I don't think we have much in common.

WASP stands for White Anglo Saxon Protestant, but it's a specific meaning with a specific identity.

My comments still stand about finding affinity with people from other countries who share the same values. Nationality is an accident of birth, over which we have little choice.

WASP's have a specific set of values which are totally unlike those of Italians or French.

Nationalism is the ethos of taking credit for things you haven't done, and hating people you've never met.

Well it sure is good I'm not promoting nationalism then isn't it

(Ironically being that opposed to Nationalism is part of WASP culture)
WASP stands for White Anglo Saxon Protestant, but it's a specific meaning with a specific identity.

WASP's have a specific set of values which are totally unlike those of Italians or French.

That's the problem with the English Language. Words that may have strong connotations for you don't have the same for me. A bit like the debate on this thread about the definition of 'European', which clearly means different things to different people. With no language police, who is to arbitrate?

I'm not sure that you can link particular values to any one nationality. I'm curious to know what the specific values are, that makes you think that WASP's are totally unlike Italians or French.
That's the problem with the English Language. Words that may have strong connotations for you don't have the same for me. A bit like the debate on this thread about the definition of 'European', which clearly means different things to different people. With no language police, who is to arbitrate?

I'm not sure that you can link particular values to any one nationality. I'm curious to know what the specific values are, that makes you think that WASP's are totally unlike Italians or French.

Anglo-Protestant culture is extremely individualistic and whereas Italians and French generally emphasize the collective, be it the family unit or the Church.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending