Turn on thread page Beta

15 y/o girl, 5ft 5 and 67kg. any need for concern? watch

ReputationRep:
    the nhs bmi caculactor puts me in the 91st percentile, making me 'overweight'.
    i'm quite lanky in build, kind of a cross between ectomorph and mesomorph, with body fat somewhere in the 20% range.
    i'm relatively active, with 2 high-intensity hour long sport sessions a week, an hour's gym session and an hour long pe lesson (relatively high intensity).
    is there any need to be concerned?

thanks in advance
    alicia

UPDATE
    holy i wasn't expecting this thread to get as much attention as it has. thanks to all for the advice and input!

ReputationRep:
    Damn I'm 5''8 and 50kg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
    Body fat percentage is much more important than BMI.

BMI is a very crude way of estimating health. e.g. lots of muscle -> high BMI

20% body fat sounds like a lot, even for women, so might be an issue, yeah
    friendlypenguin,
    thanks for your response. i understand that bmi is a bit of a swizz, but i didn't want to totally disregard it.
    i gauged body fat from pictures on google images. the pictures don't seem to make it out to be excessive. still any cause for concern?

ReputationRep:
    active 15 year old is capable of plenty more things than someone like me who can "only" ride a bike. so your weight doesn't matter here.

ReputationRep:
    Don't go on pictures from the internet. It really depends on each person differently. If what you say is right, then I don't see why it should be an issue. You see perfectly normal. Although if you want to judge, I am 6'2 and only 67kg because I do high intensity running 6 times a week + play rugby and cricket on weekends. If you think your weight if of concern and you might have some visible fat, just do a small full body workout and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose the question 'should I be concerned?' - (sorry I am paraphrasing), I think that question should be directed at your GP/family doctor. At the end of the day, you could have a perfect BMI, but be really ill and on medication constantly - and you may be 'overweight' but your body is functioning fine. I say this having a BMI of 2 - yeah, 2! - standing 5 foot 8 and weighing 45kg. Apparently, i am on the verge of 'anorexic'! I eat as much as the next person!
    Although you may tick the boxes for 'overweight' your general health can often be different. They expect me to be in an out of hospital, but I am deemed as healthy in terms of the way my body functions, to quote my doctor ' appearances can be deceptive'
    BUT just to be on the safe side, don't take this news laying down, you might wanna do some more research with your doctor/school nurse. If you feel down, make sure you speak to somebody, DON'T let this affect your self-confidence levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    Don't go on pictures from the internet. It really depends on each person differently. If what you say is right, then I don't see why it should be an issue. You see perfectly normal. Although if you want to judge, I am 6'2 and only 67kg because I do high intensity running 6 times a week + play rugby and cricket on weekends. If you think your weight if of concern and you might have some visible fat, just do a small full body workout and you will be fine.
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    active 15 year old is capable of plenty more things than someone like me who can "only" ride a bike. so your weight doesn't matter here.
    thanks for the advice guys.
    i was just a bit unsure because most people in my year at school that are my size and do a similar amount of exercise are only about 50kg (!!)
    taking part in a weight based sport (judo) and seeing yourself in the higher weight categories for your age isn't the greatest thing especially when you see the other people in your category that appear a lot more 'well-built' than you!

anyways, thanks for the reassurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisseyjj)
    thanks for the advice guys.
    i was just a bit unsure because most people in my year at school that are my size and do a similar amount of exercise are only about 50kg (!!)
    taking part in a weight based sport (judo) and seeing yourself in the higher weight categories for your age isn't the greatest thing especially when you see the other people in your category that appear a lot more 'well-built' than you!

anyways, thanks for the reassurance
    Don't worry about what other people think. Everyone has their own opinions. Just focus on judo and when you are old enough, join your local gym.

ReputationRep:
    Just interested, for a man your height how do you play rugby with such little weight. Do you have an athlete level body fat percentage? It's just I know people around your height who are pretty lanky who weigh 75+ kg.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleBlossom5)
    I suppose the question 'should I be concerned?' - (sorry I am paraphrasing), I think that question should be directed at your GP/family doctor. At the end of the day, you could have a perfect BMI, but be really ill and on medication constantly - and you may be 'overweight' but your body is functioning fine. I say this having a BMI of 2 - yeah, 2! - standing 5 foot 8 and weighing 45kg. Apparently, i am on the verge of 'anorexic'! I eat as much as the next person!
    Although you may tick the boxes for 'overweight' your general health can often be different. They expect me to be in an out of hospital, but I am deemed as healthy in terms of the way my body functions, to quote my doctor ' appearances can be deceptive'
    BUT just to be on the safe side, don't take this news laying down, you might wanna do some more research with your doctor/school nurse. If you feel down, make sure you speak to somebody, DON'T let this affect your self-confidence levels.
    couldn't have asked for better advice. thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about what other people think. Everyone has their own opinions. Just focus on judo and when you are old enough, join your local gym.
    already planning on doing so. thanks once again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    Just interested, for a man your height how do you play rugby with such little weight. Do you have an athlete level body fat percentage? It's just I know people around your height who are pretty lanky who weigh 75+ kg.
    I play as a winger I do a lot of running so cant gain too much weight for now. Also, I was around 6% bodyfat the last time I got it checked.

ReputationRep:
    i'm quite lanky in build, kind of a cross between ectomorph and mesomorph, with body fat somewhere in the 20% range.
    i'm relatively active, with 2 high-intensity hour long sport sessions a week, an hour's gym session and an hour long pe lesson (relatively high intensity).

thanks in advance
    alicia
    Cut down on the donuts you pig

ReputationRep:
    I mean if you have no health issues and like the way your body looks, then you shouldn't be concerned

ReputationRep:
    couldn't have asked for better advice. thank you!
    No problem! I suppose we are on different ends of the spectrum but the principle is the same, right? Just remember if someone says something nasty - don't let it eat you up, I did and I couldn't regret it more! Just shrug it off and keeping kicking butt!!!

If you don't mind me asking how is your diet? because you seem active enough to burn extra (if there is any) calories. There might be something triggering you there. My weight loss trigger was sweetcorn. Random, right?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Furox7)
    Damn I'm 5''8 and 50kg
    I'm 5'8" and 65kg

thanks in advance
    alicia
    I must agree with FriendlyPenguin, that BMI isn't the best way of measuring health at all. I used to be "overweight" a few years ago too, but I only have a body fat percentage of about 17% and I love sport so much. As long as you live a healthy lifestyle, such as the regular exercise you mentioned, and eat moderately and healthily, you should be fine. Your body fat is actually quite low for a young woman as well. I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

Do not trust BMI if you feel you are healthy: body-builders are labelled as overweight as well. Remember that body water/fluid, muscle and bone weigh much much more than fat, and fat doesn't constitute much of your overall body weight unless you are concerningly overweight or obese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nashh606)
    Cut down on the donuts you pig
    already done so, sweetheart ❤

ReputationRep:
    As you are doing a decent amount of exercise I really wouldn’t worry about it, you probably have more muscle than you think!

I am 5 4” and weigh about 63 kg so am of a similar bmi, but I would never consider myself overweight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxcherryzxx)
    I mean if you have no health issues and like the way your body looks, then you shouldn't be concerned
    thank you
    the only health problems i have are my heart arrhythmia (since birth) and my auto-immune based alopecia, which i can't do anything about.
    to take a leaf out of troye sivan's book, love the skin you're in

ReputationRep:
    thank you
    the only health problems i have are my heart arrhythmia (since birth) and my auto-immune based alopecia, which i can't do anything about.
    to take a leaf out of troye sivan's book, love the skin you're in
    you're welcome! I love that quote, so sorry to hear about your health problems

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 3, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.