Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 y/o girl, 5ft 5 and 67kg. any need for concern? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisseyjj)
    thank you
    the only health problems i have are my heart arrhythmia (since birth) and my auto-immune based alopecia, which i can't do anything about.
    to take a leaf out of troye sivan's book, love the skin you're in
    you're welcome! I love that quote, so sorry to hear about your health problems
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1rious)
    As you are doing a decent amount of exercise I really wouldn’t worry about it, you probably have more muscle than you think!

I am 5 4” and weigh about 63 kg so am of a similar bmi, but I would never consider myself overweight
    i did suspect muscle mass, but ngl it doesn't show
    but as you say, i'm not too concerned at the moment because i do a decent amount of exercise.

muchas gracias

ReputationRep:
    Actually for women, a healthy body fat percentage is between 14% and 30%, with 18% and under being for the very athletic. Also it is more accurate for obesity than the BMI, as BMI doesn’t take into account bone or muscle mass. I’d say with that amount of body fat, you’re pretty healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxcherryzxx)
    you're welcome! I love that quote, so sorry to hear about your health problems
    haha thank you! but i've just kind of 'laughed off' these health problems because, meh, don't worry bout what you can't fix!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thrillanthropist)
    I'm 5'8" and 65kg

I must agree with FriendlyPenguin, that BMI isn't the best way of measuring health at all. I used to be "overweight" a few years ago too, but I only have a body fat percentage of about 17% and I love sport so much. As long as you live a healthy lifestyle, such as the regular exercise you mentioned, and eat moderately and healthily, you should be fine. Your body fat is actually quite low for a young woman as well. I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

Do not trust BMI if you feel you are healthy: body-builders are labelled as overweight as well. Remember that body water/fluid, muscle and bone weigh much much more than fat, and fat doesn't constitute much of your overall body weight unless you are concerningly overweight or obese.
    thanks mate. bmi is a bit pointless ngl!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troker101)
    Actually for women, a healthy body fat percentage is between 14% and 30%, with 18% and under being for the very athletic. Also it is more accurate for obesity than the BMI, as BMI doesn’t take into account bone or muscle mass. I’d say with that amount of body fat, you’re pretty healthy.
    thanks for the advice. the main think i was looking for was 'what's a normal body fat percentage for someone my age' and you answered that perfectly, so thank you!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice. the main think i was looking for was 'what's a normal body fat percentage for someone my age' and you answered that perfectly, so thank you!
    No problem. These figures are for adult women, but since you’re still maturing, I think you would naturally lose a bit more body fat in the future. So I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same height as you and am 50kg. Honestly it varies between people. As long as you're physicallly fit you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannime)
    I'm the same height as you and am 50kg. Honestly it varies between people. As long as you're physicallly fit you're fine.
    thanks for backing up my suspicions. i figured that since i do a decent amount of sport i wouldn’t have anything to worry about! but of course, going to all all girl’s private school there tends to be a few people my age who have very different opinions on ‘healthy’ and ‘physically fit’!

ReputationRep:
    yeah probably, im a 5'3 guy and i'm 56kg. Im not built up though im skinny fat i guess

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleBlossom5)
    No problem! I suppose we are on different ends of the spectrum but the principle is the same, right? Just remember if someone says something nasty - don't let it eat you up, I did and I couldn't regret it more! Just shrug it off and keeping kicking butt!!!

If you don't mind me asking how is your diet? because you seem active enough to burn extra (if there is any) calories. There might be something triggering you there. My weight loss trigger was sweetcorn. Random, right?
    my diet is pretty good. not an excessive amount of anything. my way of doing things is ‘i had pizza today, so i won’t have pizza for the next few days’, or ‘i’ve had a bag of crisps already, i don’t need a second packet’. i usually have marmite on toast with an apple or banana or something for breakfast, and i get a hot lunch from school. dinners are usually something light. quite often fish with new potatoes and veg.
    i wouldn’t really say food is the trigger for this thread, more self confidence and the way others see me. quite often in pe lessons (particularly the changing room) people are like ‘oh i bet suzie over there weighs about the same as alicia’ but when suzie or whoever (using random names) says they’re 50kg or whatever everyone else goes ‘wtf you can’t weigh nearly 70kg’ when they ask me.
    i guess i’m just a bit self conscious now, particularly as i’m getting older and more of my classmates are going to the gym in the city centre and running 5k or whatever 3 times a week when i just go to the school gym once a week to train for judo.

thank you for the advice and reassurance
    alicia xx

ReputationRep:
    20% body fat is not high for a girl, I'm not sure if you've calculated it properly though, I'm 6ft2 and 74kg with 13/14% body fat.

You shouldn't be massively concerned, but if you do decide to lose some weight, you only need to lose a bit. Really wouldn't want it to turn into the opposite problem, good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laissez‒faire)
    It's pretty fat.
    seems contradictory to most of the other posts in this thread. any explanation for your thinking?

ReputationRep:
    seems contradictory to most of the other posts in this thread. any explanation for your thinking?
    Common sense. Unless you do serious weightlifting it is overweight.

ReputationRep:
    Since everyone's at it I'm 5'7.5" and was 155lbs/70kg iirc last time I checked, which was months ago at least, on a scale that gives different results each few seconds one steps on it.

ReputationRep:
    im 6 ft 2 and 83 kg and body fat % of 9.2
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'7''-ish (or slightly under) and 55kg but my BF% is the same as yours, so I think you're fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laissez‒faire)
    Common sense. Unless you do serious weightlifting it is overweight.
    fair enough. everyone is entitled to their own opinion. might be something to do with the gym work i do because it isn't just cardio by a long shot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    Since everyone's at it I'm 5'7.5" and was 155lbs/70kg iirc last time I checked, which was months ago at least, on a scale that gives different results each few seconds one steps on it.
    my parents used to have a set of scales like that. got thrown in the wheelie bin quite aggressively once with one of them shouting 'you liar!'

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.