Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 y/o girl, 5ft 5 and 67kg. any need for concern? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BDunlop)
    20% body fat is not high for a girl, I'm not sure if you've calculated it properly though, I'm 6ft2 and 74kg with 13/14% body fat.

You shouldn't be massively concerned, but if you do decide to lose some weight, you only need to lose a bit. Really wouldn't want it to turn into the opposite problem, good luck
    thank you. i wouldn't let it get to the stage on the opposite end of the spectrum where it reaches a problem. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    I play as a winger I do a lot of running so cant gain too much weight for now. Also, I was around 6% bodyfat the last time I got it checked.
    6% bodyfat DAMN bro that's amazing

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, Brings back memories when I was 15 and I was 5'4 and weighed 67 (Yeah I am short for a boy) I had the nickname 'Bull' Coz I was just so chunky (and partly coz that's what my name ended in)🙄, But then I went to the docs to find my BMI is bulls**t as I had an awesome muscle to fat ratio.
    Now at 17 , I 'think' I'm about 5 ft 6 or 7 but weigh 71Kilo, But honestly, I feel alot healthier at this weight than I think I would feel weighing 50 kilos like the majority. Yet I'm classified as overweight😅

PS. being heavier in Judo is such a perk though, no one could floor you, nor could they slither out of under you in a lock😂, gotta learn to manipulate and use your weight against them!
    You seem generally quite active so I don't see any reason for you to be concerned at all (Unless your Doc told you so)
    Chill and don't be concerned about these things. BMI is a very generalised scale and that's what I believe makes it very inaccurate in some cases!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R4kZ920)
    Hehe, Brings back memories when I was 15 and I was 5'4 and weighed 67 (Yeah I am short for a boy) I had the nickname 'Bull' Coz I was just so chunky (and partly coz that's what my name ended in)🙄, But then I went to the docs to find my BMI is bulls**t as I had an awesome muscle to fat ratio.
    Now at 17 , I 'think' I'm about 5 ft 6 or 7 but weigh 71Kilo, But honestly, I feel alot healthier at this weight than I think I would feel weighing 50 kilos like the majority. Yet I'm classified as overweight😅

PS. being heavier in Judo is such a perk though, no one could floor you, nor could they slither out of under you in a lock😂, gotta learn to manipulate and use your weight against them!
    You seem generally quite active so I don't see any reason for you to be concerned at all (Unless your Doc told you so)
    Chill and don't be concerned about these things. BMI is a very generalised scale and that's what I believe makes it very inaccurate in some cases!
    sorry to hear people took the mick out of you when you were younger!
    the main thing i struggle with in judo is the fact that people generally get stronger in the higher weight categories. i'm not one of those people that fit that trend lol. guess i've just got to make it work in my favour and as you say, use my weight against them!
    it's pretty funny in training when i try and turn these guys over when they basically turtle on the floor. just sit on their back, stick your forearms under their armpits and slump over to one side! works a treat every time 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisseyjj)
    sorry to hear people took the mick out of you when you were younger!
    the main thing i struggle with in judo is the fact that people generally get stronger in the higher weight categories. i'm not one of those people that fit that trend lol. guess i've just got to make it work in my favour and as you say, use my weight against them!
    it's pretty funny in training when i try and turn these guys over when they basically turtle on the floor. just sit on their back, stick your forearms under their armpits and slump over to one side! works a treat every time 😂
    Haha, no it's fine I think the term 'Bull' fitted in quite nicely to be honest😂 even the teachers called me it.
    Now I've been promoted to 'The Wolverine' after the beard came through in college coz apparantly I look like him while I have long hair (But I don't see it🙄)

Yeah, people do get the hang of judo quite quick and keep getting better, some at faster rates than others. It's just important to remember, I guess, that you're gonna have people getting alot better than you quicker, and you're gonna get better than quite a few others aswell at a faster rate than them!

That's why we are called individuals . As we all grow at our own individual paces! (Although that probably won't stop you're parents from comparing you to the smartest student in school every time your a few marks away from them in a paper so good luck with that!!)

Frikin hate it when huge guys get into that safety position and I gotta make the most retarded face trying to flip 'em over. So I'll try that method, I'm actually quite disappointed I didn't think of that!😂

ReputationRep:
    my parents used to have a set of scales like that. got thrown in the wheelie bin quite aggressively once with one of them shouting 'you liar!'
    Oh right, did that fix it?

ReputationRep:
    According to the NHS height and weight chart you are of a healthy weight. Also you have to remember that since you already do a lot of physical activity that you are doing makes you gain lots of muscle which highly increases your body mass.

Check out the NHS height vs body weight-
    Name:  F0F11AC2-560D-4C75-A968-30C8B8BA73AC.jpg.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  21.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R4kZ920)
    Haha, no it's fine I think the term 'Bull' fitted in quite nicely to be honest😂 even the teachers called me it.
    Now I've been promoted to 'The Wolverine' after the beard came through in college coz apparantly I look like him while I have long hair (But I don't see it🙄)

Yeah, people do get the hang of judo quite quick and keep getting better, some at faster rates than others. It's just important to remember, I guess, that you're gonna have people getting alot better than you quicker, and you're gonna get better than quite a few others aswell at a faster rate than them!

That's why we are called individuals . As we all grow at our own individual paces! (Although that probably won't stop you're parents from comparing you to the smartest student in school every time your a few marks away from them in a paper so good luck with that!!)

Frikin hate it when huge guys get into that safety position and I gotta make the most retarded face trying to flip 'em over. So I'll try that method, I'm actually quite disappointed I didn't think of that!😂
    gets you in a great position for a collar strangle. or if you keep the pressure on the upper body you might be able to contort yourself into sliding out into a kami shiho gatame. that usually works quite well for me! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    Oh right, did that fix it?
    idek, man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaels.x)
    According to the NHS height and weight chart you are of a healthy weight. Also you have to remember that since you already do a lot of physical activity that you are doing makes you gain lots of muscle which highly increases your body mass.

thank you. forgot that this particular chart even existed lmao

ReputationRep:
    Hate sharing this but I might aswell 🤷🏼*♀️ I’m about 5’1 - 5’2 and weigh around 64kg. I am healthy, especially since I lost around a stone (still want to lose around 12kg) I don’t do lots of exercise but I have a fair bit of muscle so if you are doing a lot of exercise, some of your weight will be muscle. I don’t think there is any need for you to be concerned at all 😊

ReputationRep:
    the nhs bmi caculactor puts me in the 91st percentile, making me 'overweight'.
    i'm quite lanky in build, kind of a cross between ectomorph and mesomorph, with body fat somewhere in the 20% range.
    i'm relatively active, with 2 high-intensity hour long sport sessions a week, an hour's gym session and an hour long pe lesson (relatively high intensity).
    is there any need to be concerned?

thanks in advance
    alicia

UPDATE
    holy i wasn't expecting this thread to get as much attention as it has. thanks to all for the advice and input!

according to this chart OP you are borderline overweight

http://yourdailymagazine.com/wp-cont...MI-Chart-1.gif

if i look up your height and weight you are coming right inbetween 24 and 25

your bodyfat percentage sounds ok though for a female , if you are truely 20% bodyfat then I would say that is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleBlossom5)
    I suppose the question 'should I be concerned?' - (sorry I am paraphrasing), I think that question should be directed at your GP/family doctor. At the end of the day, you could have a perfect BMI, but be really ill and on medication constantly - and you may be 'overweight' but your body is functioning fine. I say this having a BMI of 2 - yeah, 2! - standing 5 foot 8 and weighing 45kg. Apparently, i am on the verge of 'anorexic'! I eat as much as the next person!
    Although you may tick the boxes for 'overweight' your general health can often be different. They expect me to be in an out of hospital, but I am deemed as healthy in terms of the way my body functions, to quote my doctor ' appearances can be deceptive'
    BUT just to be on the safe side, don't take this news laying down, you might wanna do some more research with your doctor/school nurse. If you feel down, make sure you speak to somebody, DON'T let this affect your self-confidence levels.
    You might wanna recalculate your BMI. Below 8 is unheard of even in severely emaciated people.

(Original post by kaels.x)

Fairly sure that is rough guidelines for adults; for 15 year old girls it would be different.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Appleorpear)
      6% bodyfat DAMN bro that's amazing
      its also a lie/those machines are bs
      6% bf pretty much unobtainable as far as im concerned

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.