Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm really not sure what A levels to do and if i should do A levels or... Watch

ReputationRep:
    What if you don't know what you like? or what you want to be? Practically i'm a lost cause... i feel like yes people think i'm clever but i wish i was actually clever. And no what interests me? yes i like science and i'm doing Triple science for GCSE but the question i ask myself is do i really like science that much and am i really good cause i don't think i am. Then i like reading and writing.... People will be like oh you can be a writer... but it's hard and i'm not so good at wrting myself- i'm okay i guess and the rest i'm not sure... I know they are a lot of different types of careers out there... Some weird ones that i could probably like but i'll never find out about them and when i do it'll be too late... People say i'm clever, i say i'm average... I'm a real lost cause and i know that people are relying on me a lot of what i'm going to be but the thing is i don't think i'll be something.... i'm just going to be the wasted gifted. They gave me a chance and threw it in the bin just like that...
    So you know how my mind works like now briefly..... the real question:
    I'm really not sure what A levels to do and if i should do A levels or go in a different route..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArieT)
    What if you don't know what you like? or what you want to be? Practically i'm a lost cause... i feel like yes people think i'm clever but i wish i was actually clever. And no what interests me? yes i like science and i'm doing Triple science for GCSE but the question i ask myself is do i really like science that much and am i really good cause i don't think i am. Then i like reading and writing.... People will be like oh you can be a writer... but it's hard and i'm not so good at wrting myself- i'm okay i guess and the rest i'm not sure... I know they are a lot of different types of careers out there... Some weird ones that i could probably like but i'll never find out about them and when i do it'll be too late... People say i'm clever, i say i'm average... I'm a real lost cause and i know that people are relying on me a lot of what i'm going to be but the thing is i don't think i'll be something.... i'm just going to be the wasted gifted. They gave me a chance and threw it in the bin just like that...
    So you know how my mind works like now briefly..... the real question:
    I'm really not sure what A levels to do and if i should do A levels or go in a different route..

Okay, first question - what are these different routes you're thinking about? What's the difference between them and A-levels? Do as much research as possible so you are well informed before making your final choice - draw up pros and cons tables if that'll do the trick for you.

I don't really know much about anything other than A-levels, so I can't really be of much help if you choose not to do them, sorry. However I can give you some advice as to how to choose your A-levels if you do decide to go down that path. From my time at 6th form, I've seen 2 major ways people have chosen their A-levels:

1) Knowing what kind of degree they want to do, and building their choices to help with their Uni applications

OR

2) Picking the degree afterwards to suit the A-levels they have taken (that they choose because they liked/were good at them)

What do you mean by not being good enough by the way? Do you mean your GCSE grades or A-level ones - since there is no real correlation between the two (trust me, my teacher has a graph with all his students' results from both exams the it's all over the place). However there is a link between your grade at A-level and the amount of effort and hard work you put in (the more the better the grade).

Also, you don't really need any qualifications to be a writer at all, just decent writing that other people will want to read.

All in all, if you're unsure about something or simply don't know, do some research! You'll be more well-informed when making the choice and maybe you'll discover something you didn't know beforehand.

Hope this helps ya!

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Thanks for replying... Thanks for your ideas and all and i'm just doing my GCSE at the moment and obviously i have quite a long way before A levels but i don't want it to come and for me to not be prepared and start paniking. But i'll take your advise and research and work hard..
    I kinda always put myself down for no reason as you can tell but as a human we all do it from time to time...

ReputationRep:
    What GCSE’s are you currently taking? And it’s completely fine to not know what you want to be! I honestly think you’re in a good state because you have time to develop and find out what things interest you. I remember in year 11 and everyone already had their goals mapped out of what they wanted to study at university and what A levels they were gonna take... brutal truth is that everyone mostly changes their mind when they actually start taking the courses! My best advice is to go for subjects that you enjoy or at least ones that you’ve always been great at. And just remember that during the first month or so at sixth form, if you end up not liking any of your subjects you can drop them and swap them out for something else. If it helps, I’m currently taking English Literature, Maths and Psychology in Year 13 so you can ask me any questions if you’re thinking about them. Chose Maths bc i was always good at it and i loved revising for it at GCSE, chose English Lit just because i loved the subject in general and how you learn about so much other things like history, religion, philosophy etc. and i picked Psychology bc it was something new to me and it complimented my personality so well (always curious, always overthinking and observing people). Take your time and think about it! x

ReputationRep:
    Oh hey again wow at the moment i feel like maths is my low go high go kinda subject( i'm good at this part and bad at the other bad) but for GCSE i have chosen History,Triple science and french (Basically i already speak french) We all have to do Religious study which i don't find too hard- we did our mock exam only a week ago and i got (59/66)
    I kinda wanted to take what you took hysiology or siocology- how the brain works and how we act and think observing people.... seems interesting though...
    How is it in sith form.. Mainly looking at people who went from year 11 to sith form they look really depressed most of the time and not like enjoying life which you don't have to everyday... I just wanted to ask is it really different in sith form?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.