Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

DD103 Investigating the social world & DE100 investigating psychology 1 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

So I'm starting an OU BA Honours in criminology and psychology. I'm in the process of officially enrolling into stage 1 but im having difficulty figuring out how many modules to do. Now I know the OU recommend you complete stage one in 2 years so 1 module per year. I'm contemplating cutting the overall time of the degree down by 1 year and doing them both in 1 year!

I also work about 30 hours a week.

What do you think I should do? Do you think it's possible?

P.S I don't mind sacrificing my spare/free time to study.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Most people do the first year in one year - I'm doing it this year. It's very possible and you don't need 30 hours a week like it says. Just get ahead before the start date (the site opens a couple weeks before the official start date) and you'll be fine! I'm doing one module right now and I'm finding it's actually not enough so I've signed up to start the second in January! I am spending my weeks waiting for tutorials for assignments I've already written or waiting for my tutor's feedback which can take up to two weeks to receive. I did no work for a week, but I'm still well ahead and you can do one or two weeks in one evening. Obviously, this is early days though and I don't know what the work load will be like later on in the modules but you'll be fine. People have done full time study with full time jobs and children, some have even gone through cancer treatment and still got a degree!

(Original post by Stephanie451)
    Hey Guys,

So I'm starting an OU BA Honours in criminology and psychology. I'm in the process of officially enrolling into stage 1 but im having difficulty figuring out how many modules to do. Now I know the OU recommend you complete stage one in 2 years so 1 module per year. I'm contemplating cutting the overall time of the degree down by 1 year and doing them both in 1 year!

I also work about 30 hours a week.

What do you think I should do? Do you think it's possible?

P.S I don't mind sacrificing my spare/free time to study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    Most people do the first year in one year - I'm doing it this year. It's very possible and you don't need 30 hours a week like it says. Just get ahead before the start date (the site opens a couple weeks before the official start date) and you'll be fine! I'm doing one module right now and I'm finding it's actually not enough so I've signed up to start the second in January! I am spending my weeks waiting for tutorials for assignments I've already written or waiting for my tutor's feedback which can take up to two weeks to receive. I did no work for a week, but I'm still well ahead and you can do one or two weeks in one evening. Obviously, this is early days though and I don't know what the work load will be like later on in the modules but you'll be fine. People have done full time study with full time jobs and children, some have even gone through cancer treatment and still got a degree!
    Hey, I was really hoping I got such a positive answer like this! That's great, thanks so much! I was pretty sure of doing both but then the website kept popping up with warning signs and it got me second guessing! I'm glad you're ahead of all your work! Hopefully it stays that way for you!

Thanks again! 😃
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that can be off putting. The OU will likely ring you if you sign up for the two, to try to again remind you that it's hard, but it is because that a huge number of people who do a degree full time with the OU drop out, so they don't want to lose students because of pressure. You can always defer a module if you're struggling.

I'm a month in and have found that you do not need 30 hours a week to do it. They greatly overestimate the hours as well. They ask you to read a chapter in the book and say that it may take you 3.5 hours to do. It doesn't take that long to read a chapter. :lol: They have activities to do online and in the textbooks but they're completely voluntary so I don't bother with the textbook ones, but that's why they suggested it'd take 3.5 hours. I currently have to read another chapter and do like 5 online questions and it suggested it'd take 5 hours.:mute: I technically don't have to do those questions and in text activities, they're there to just further your understanding of the subject, so that would mean I'd only have to read a chapter in the book so that would take less than 30 minutes. So you see how it works.

Thank-you. I'd recommend getting ahead if you can. No problem! If you're still unsure, then do what I did, which is start one module, then enrol on the next one that starts later (though the gap would be longer as the start dates are always in January/February and October) if you feel you'll manage. You'll only know once you start and see what it's like.

(Original post by Stephanie451)
    Hey, I was really hoping I got such a positive answer like this! That's great, thanks so much! I was pretty sure of doing both but then the website kept popping up with warning signs and it got me second guessing! I'm glad you're ahead of all your work! Hopefully it stays that way for you!

Thanks again! 😃

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I'm also enrolling into the same degree! I start in January, it'd great to keep in contact with you so we can help each other?I trying to get a head start, just doing some background research etc.\I work in an accounts department with a Business qualification so I'm definitely pushing myself out of my comfort zone!Zoe x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoedaisymay)
    Hi,I'm also enrolling into the same degree! I start in January, it'd great to keep in contact with you so we can help each other?I trying to get a head start, just doing some background research etc.\I work in an accounts department with a Business qualification so I'm definitely pushing myself out of my comfort zone!Zoe x
    Hi Zoe,

That sounds great actually! It will be good to have someone to bounce idea soon off of and get help from!

Good luck aswell! From what I wasn't told the course content is available from the 4th January!

Steph x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.