The Student Room Group

Is going to private school worth it? x

Hey,
so I am currently at a public normal school and I want to leave right now. I spoke to my brother and friends about it and they all think I should leave because things aren't getting any better here. My brother has told my mum and she said she will get an application form for the school I want to go to.

I asked my brother if I could go to private school and I think its about £6000 a term and he said maybe and I really want to go but a question he asked me stayed in my head and it was 'What if i'm basically paying £6000 and your still unhappy? All that money is thrown away!'

I still really want to go to private school but I wanted to know if any of you reading this think going to a private school will be the best for me? And if it's worth the £6000 my bro will be paying?

Thanks,
Meelz x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
firstly what year are you in and why are you unhappy - this is very important q.

Private school teachers are only marginally better and you will come across at least one absolutely terrible one a year. the only big changes are more sporting opportunities (not a big deal as theyre still not great compared to out of school) and the fact that people concentrate more and perhaps you get less disstractions...
Original post by NeverGrowUp
It depends which one you got to.I go to one and its slightly more expensive than the average private school, but in return i get the most supportive and friendly staff I've ever had, great teachers and small classed sizes. Check the exam results of the schools your looking at and see the number of students who get into top/russell group unis and into competitive courses. It will give you an idea of how good it is.

May I ask, how much do you pay for your education? x
Original post by Milan U
firstly what year are you in and why are you unhappy - this is very important q.

Private school teachers are only marginally better and you will come across at least one absolutely terrible one a year. the only big changes are more sporting opportunities (not a big deal as theyre still not great compared to out of school) and the fact that people concentrate more and perhaps you get less disstractions...

Year 8, I want to leave before I begin my GCSEs
No. Such a waste of money. I go to a state school and got 9 A*s and 4As it’s about how bloody hard you work independently. **** teachers? Work harder just like you’ll have to do in the real world.
It's not worth it
You can get the same grades in a public school
Original post by NeverGrowUp
£9000 per subject per year, but I'm doing A-levels now which increases the price a bit more that compared to what you'd be paying for KS3. What don't you like about your current school?

The people, the teachers and the way they teach, the pastoral, the actual place itself, the safety, the bullying

...just everything really.

Do you think I should move to a private school?
Hey, I moved to a private school in yr9. I was in many ways much happier there than at state and in many ways I wasn’t so happy. I never really fit in my year group at the private school, but that’s relative and could be the case at any school. And I realised quite a lot of that was down to me. I only really became happy in my year group at sixth form (same school) as I made a lot of really close friends
Almost all of the teachers I had were brilliant. Although there were some definite dips, I had some teachers that I still keep in contact with now I’ve left who literally changed my life
I also did a lot better academically and because of that I was happier. I think it was because for me, large classes didn’t work as I get distracted v easily and I was also in the ‘wrong’ crowd at my state school.
However, this is by no means to say that private school education is necessary. It worked well for me, but it was very expensive. You have to work out how it would be for you. Take admissions assessments and see if you can do a visit day so you can see what it’s like during the day and what the people are like. Don’t rush into it but definitely have a look:smile: hope that helped!
Original post by beccabokka
Hey, I moved to a private school in yr9. I was in many ways much happier there than at state and in many ways I wasn’t so happy. I never really fit in my year group at the private school, but that’s relative and could be the case at any school. And I realised quite a lot of that was down to me. I only really became happy in my year group at sixth form (same school) as I made a lot of really close friends
Almost all of the teachers I had were brilliant. Although there were some definite dips, I had some teachers that I still keep in contact with now I’ve left who literally changed my life
I also did a lot better academically and because of that I was happier. I think it was because for me, large classes didn’t work as I get distracted v easily and I was also in the ‘wrong’ crowd at my state school.
However, this is by no means to say that private school education is necessary. It worked well for me, but it was very expensive. You have to work out how it would be for you. Take admissions assessments and see if you can do a visit day so you can see what it’s like during the day and what the people are like. Don’t rush into it but definitely have a look:smile: hope that helped!

Helped a lot, thankyou xx
I go to a private school and the teaching standards are much better, we outperform the local grammar schools every year. We also have a lot more academic support such as additional tutoring. If you have any questions you can pm me :smile:
Original post by _princessxox
I go to a private school and the teaching standards are much better, we outperform the local grammar schools every year. We also have a lot more academic support such as additional tutoring. If you have any questions you can pm me :smile:

What year are you in and is it a lot to pay? x
GCSE's and A Levels aren't that hard. I went to a comprehensive (normal school) and got straight A*'s. I think going to private school can help if you aren't that clever as teachers can get you to maximise the marks you can achieve. But smart people will do well anywhere. Personally, I think private school is amazing when it comes to the opportunities it provides e.g. in sport, drama, trips etc. but you are paying thousands for that. So if I was you I would either move to a grammar or another comprehensive. But, if you aren't that smart or you want the private school opportunities then go.
Original post by GovernmentEarner
GCSE's and A Levels aren't that hard. I went to a comprehensive (normal school) and got straight A*'s. I think going to private school can help if you aren't that clever as teachers can get you to maximise the marks you can achieve. But smart people will do well anywhere. Personally, I think private school is amazing when it comes to the opportunities it provides e.g. in sport, drama, trips etc. but you are paying £9000 for that. So if I was you I would either move to a grammar or another comprehensive. But, if you aren't that smart or you want the private school opportunities then go.

Both my siblings went to grammar schools but my mum says that grammar schools are too much pressure for me...
Original post by queenmeelzx
What year are you in and is it a lot to pay? x

Year 13, it is £12,600 per term for full boarding
Original post by _princessxox
Year 13, it is £12,600 per term for full boarding

Gosh thats a lot. I was told that it was £6000 per year?
There are good privates and poor ones.

Best thing I can suggest is either: come to the one I teach at or plugging aside, go and visit your potential new school and spend a day there with pupils and really quiz them and not just the one you get assigned to (they're probably going to be a star, lovely pupil trying to suggest that the place is super ace).

Which part of the country are you in? Just region will do.

That's for full boarding, which tends to be the most expensive option. Prices for day-pupils are significantly less in the vast majority of cases.

Different schools have different fees, make sure to check exam results for the schools you consider
The people, the teachers and the way they teach, the pastoral, the actual place itself, the safety, the bullying

...just everything really.

Do you think I should move to a private school?

Teaching is not necessarily better at a Private school. Teachers don't even need to be qualified to teach ...
Original post by Pigster
There are good privates and poor ones.

Best thing I can suggest is either: come to the one I teach at or plugging aside, go and visit your potential new school and spend a day there with pupils and really quiz them and not just the one you get assigned to (they're probably going to be a star, lovely pupil trying to suggest that the place is super ace).

Which part of the country are you in? Just region will do.

West Midlands

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending