Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenmeelzx)
    Thankyou
    I've taught in Private school, comp and Grammar. I would NEVER pay for Private education - it really is a waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I am currently year 11 in a private secondary school. I think genuinely it has helped me to get better grades, however I don't think it is worth moving. The school I go to have absolutely no regard for student wellbeing. They push and push, adding more and more pressure to the point where 60-70% of students want to kill themselves because all they hear everyday is that they're not good enough. The quality teaching depends on your luck, and the only reason people get higher grades is the stupid amounts of pressure placed on students. I would save your money and work hard where you are, or if it is the people, move to another public school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0hhowinteresting)
    Hi, I joined a private school in year 7 and I'm still there (now year 13!) so hopefully I can give you an overview of what it's like long-term.

Class sizes: obviously this will differ between schools, but my class sizes for GCSE were anywhere from 2 to about 15, and at A-Level my smallest class is 6 and biggest is 8. Personally I find these small class sizes really great as they've allowed me to improve my class participation in a non-intimidating environment (in bigger classes, e.g. 30, it's MUCH harder for the shy people to get a word in edgeways!) The teachers also get to know you really well and will have much more time to see you one to one if you're struggling with anything.

Teaching/GCSEs: as with any school, you'll have people in your year who really want to work hard and others who care more about partying etc. However, from my experience, people at a private school do care more about their education (obvs I'm HUGELY over-generalising but this is just an overall thing) and achieving the best GCSEs they can. I know that I would not have achieved what I did at GCSE (11A* and 1A) if I had gone to a state school, because the focused and small environment at a private school means that nobody is left to fall behind - teachers WILL notice if you're struggling and do their best to help. Of course, state schools probably have students' best interests at heart too - however they may simply not have the resources/funding to help as much as private schools can.

Social/Friends: personally I've not had a fab time as I go to an all girls' school which can be sooooo catty Also, with the smaller environment, it's much harder to avoid people you dislike or don't get along with (this is also why quite a few people left after year 11 to go to college, which is much bigger in my area). From my experience though there's always a range of friendship groups with different interests, so I'm sure you'll find somewhere you fit in. On a more positive note, you'll get to know everyone really well and it'll hopefully feel like a familiar environment, and not like you're seeing new faces every day! Also, there's never been any physical fighting/drug taking etc. as there may be in state schools.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions just ask
    Do you have to pay per subject you take?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.