Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's good people.

How is everyone today?

I've recently been going through a rough phase in life - DEPRESSION! Ever since I was made redundant two months ago, things haven't been easy for me. I am 24, single, unemployed and living at home with my parents. Hardly have any friends and I've been becoming less motivated and happy in life everyday.

HOWEVER, I HAVE DECIDED TO KILL MY DEPRESSION INTO PIECES. WANT THIS ILLNESS OUT OF MY ****ING LIFE!

I don't want to go to a counseller because I've tried it before and it didn't work. DEPRESSION HAS RUINED MY LIFE IN SOME WAYS. I used to love football to bits like watch it 24/7 no matter what. Now, I hate football. I lost a lot of interest in things in life.

Anyways, I wanted to create this thread to literally beat my depression and hear the stories of others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wa5ted)
    What's good people.

How is everyone today?

I've recently been going through a rough phase in life - DEPRESSION! Ever since I was made redundant two months ago, things haven't been easy for me. I am 24, single, unemployed and living at home with my parents. Hardly have any friends and I've been becoming less motivated and happy in life everyday.

HOWEVER, I HAVE DECIDED TO KILL MY DEPRESSION INTO PIECES. WANT THIS ILLNESS OUT OF MY ****ING LIFE!

I don't want to go to a counseller because I've tried it before and it didn't work. DEPRESSION HAS RUINED MY LIFE IN SOME WAYS. I used to love football to bits like watch it 24/7 no matter what. Now, I hate football. I lost a lot of interest in things in life.

Anyways, I wanted to create this thread to literally beat my depression and hear the stories of others
    Hey man, It's sad to see you're going through bad times. I know how crap stages in depression could be: I remember. I know how much it could cause someone to lose interest in things they once were absolutely crazy in love with.

The most difficult part of it all is that there's barely anyone that actually understands what you're going through.

I'm not great with advice: I could tell you this however; That my life was once pretty damn dark. I was on the verge of giving up on life tbh. But Now I guess I've become one of the most satisfied guys in the world xD.

I guess it's all about keeping faith: Faith in whatever it is that you believe in- A God, or a force of the universe- Something that gives your suffering a purpose. Something to help you understand that what you are going through is for a reason and will NOT go without you gaining something from it. Whether it be for an experience, or a trial from God. Either way, it's something that potentially can BENEFIT you in some way. Don't think of it as a negative, rather squeeze out the positives and find any spec of opportunity within your suffering.

However action is the most major part of it all (especially in your scenario): Rather than asking others about their depressing stories which will upset you further, or listening to music that'll just makes you wanna die (if you do that, that is), etc,, go out there and look for a job/opportunity that will lessen the burden your situation puts on you. Go and look for solutions! Maybe find a partner (But I'd suggest getting a stable income first). I apologize if I accidentally offend you but that is not my intention. I want you to understand that only YOU carry the medicine to the 'disease' that you're facing.

Fudge a counselor, You're a perfectly capable human being with great great intelligence, you can handle this yourself, rather than pay a guy to drop you a pep talk session for over an hour leaving you feeling the same as you did before the session (I've had bad experiences).

So go out there and make a change man, and believe in yourself. I know its ALOT harder done than it is for me to say- but keep faith man, life is beautiful, But you just gotta look at it through a clean window to see it.

Remember: Getting lost will help you find yourself. Good Luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wa5ted)
    What's good people.

How is everyone today?

My dude, I was in the same boat a few months ago, I found this guy called "Kid Cudi" (recommend him to everyone who has depression) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8EH1_jZBl4 this album probably saved my life (and judging by the comments many others as well.) Listen to his songs, pay attention to his lyrics and I'm 100% sure it'd help, especially if you like his style/genre.

Used to stay up all night in my room as I couldn't sleep and just felt empty, once I found him though it seemed to disappear within the month. I'm doing good now and haven't been depressed since. It gets better eventually, even if you don't think it will.

ReputationRep:
    Are you on any medication?

ReputationRep:
    Ugh I hate depression, luckily it doesn't last forever.
    I think I was 12-13 when my depression kicked in and around 15ish when it stopped. Mainly due to recently being diagnosed with diabetes, going into secondary school, being anxious around people, finding school work hard and feeling really isolated in general.

My best advice for you would be to keep going forward. It will get easier, and the very fact you've done some effort to help yourself shows you have the strength and tenacity to do so. Also maybe try some of the basic treatments as well, like staying active, having a healthy diet, volunteering etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    My dude, I was in the same boat a few months ago, I found this guy called "Kid Cudi" (recommend him to everyone who has depression) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8EH1_jZBl4 this album probably saved my life (and judging by the comments many others as well.) Listen to his songs, pay attention to his lyrics and I'm 100% sure it'd help, especially if you like his style/genre.

Used to stay up all night in my room as I couldn't sleep and just felt empty, once I found him though it seemed to disappear within the month. I'm doing good now and haven't been depressed since. It gets better eventually, even if you don't think it will.
    Yeah his music didn't sound too bad thanks - but I finally managed to find tracks that make me happy.

I've decided to start watching football again now and I know I've got a lot to catch up on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future-Barista)
    Ugh I hate depression, luckily it doesn't last forever.
    I think I was 12-13 when my depression kicked in and around 15ish when it stopped. Mainly due to recently being diagnosed with diabetes, going into secondary school, being anxious around people, finding school work hard and feeling really isolated in general.

My best advice for you would be to keep going forward. It will get easier, and the very fact you've done some effort to help yourself shows you have the strength and tenacity to do so. Also maybe try some of the basic treatments as well, like staying active, having a healthy diet, volunteering etc.
    Yeah I'm going to start hitting the gym again like crazy and really start watching football again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1rious)
    Are you on any medication?
    No. Don't believe in that crap especially weed. I gave up on that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R4kZ920)
    Hey man, It's sad to see you're going through bad times. I know how crap stages in depression could be: I remember. I know how much it could cause someone to lose interest in things they once were absolutely crazy in love with.

The most difficult part of it all is that there's barely anyone that actually understands what you're going through.

I'm not great with advice: I could tell you this however; That my life was once pretty damn dark. I was on the verge of giving up on life tbh. But Now I guess I've become one of the most satisfied guys in the world xD.

I guess it's all about keeping faith: Faith in whatever it is that you believe in- A God, or a force of the universe- Something that gives your suffering a purpose. Something to help you understand that what you are going through is for a reason and will NOT go without you gaining something from it. Whether it be for an experience, or a trial from God. Either way, it's something that potentially can BENEFIT you in some way. Don't think of it as a negative, rather squeeze out the positives and find any spec of opportunity within your suffering.

However action is the most major part of it all (especially in your scenario): Rather than asking others about their depressing stories which will upset you further, or listening to music that'll just makes you wanna die (if you do that, that is), etc,, go out there and look for a job/opportunity that will lessen the burden your situation puts on you. Go and look for solutions! Maybe find a partner (But I'd suggest getting a stable income first). I apologize if I accidentally offend you but that is not my intention. I want you to understand that only YOU carry the medicine to the 'disease' that you're facing.

Fudge a counselor, You're a perfectly capable human being with great great intelligence, you can handle this yourself, rather than pay a guy to drop you a pep talk session for over an hour leaving you feeling the same as you did before the session (I've had bad experiences).

So go out there and make a change man, and believe in yourself. I know its ALOT harder done than it is for me to say- but keep faith man, life is beautiful, But you just gotta look at it through a clean window to see it.

Remember: Getting lost will help you find yourself. Good Luck!
    Yeah thanks for commenting on my thread.

Yeah I've decided to hit the gym like crazy again and really start watching football like the good old days. Luckily I've learnt a lot about the concept of not changing yourself for others! I used to be one of those people pleasers and that cost me very dearly right now! So Imma go back to what I used to be 5 years ago as in what I used to do when I was 17

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.