Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for engineering at Southampton where the minimum offer on the website was A*AA. But I just got an offer from Southampton of AAB; why is my offer so much more lower than A*AA? I have gotten 4 A'S at AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cotkhd)
    I applied for engineering at Southampton where the minimum offer on the website was A*AA. But I just got an offer from Southampton of AAB; why is my offer so much more lower than A*AA? I have gotten 4 A'S at AS.
    are you disadvantaged in any way?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Dunno. Maybe you're in a disadvantaged category, maybe they have less applicants than expected so are making it easier for people, maybe they just like you.
    Doesn't really matter tbh, you're just more likely to get it so be glad about that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    are you disadvantaged in any way?
    Perhaps they looked at the school avg grades? Other than that im not disadvantaged

ReputationRep:
    is it a common thing for unis to offer below their minimum entry requirements? o_o

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps they looked at the school avg grades? Other than that im not disadvantaged
    hm strange I guess. Poster above has some fair ideas. Grade requirements don't always stay the same the website usually shows the average requirements for the year before which is subject to change.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Does any of this apply?
    https://www.southampton.ac.uk/studen...dmissions.page

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would guess one or more of: disadvantage, high AS grades, and they were really struggling to recruit this year.

They had so many engineering courses open in clearing with massively reduced grade requirements of AAB or ABB in some cases. I don't know whether that's because they're trying to expand or they just aren't getting as many people taking up offers as they used to.

ReputationRep:
    sometimes the entry requirement changes for a specific person

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.