The Student Room Group

Options for post GCSEs

Im in year 11 currently, and Im planning to start a career in finance - investment banking, trading etc. Im 100% not going to university due to many reasons, mainly being not applying what I learn. I was wondering if it would be worth taking a levels at all. I know that atleast 70% of what i will do will be useless however many jobs require an a level education. Do many places like kpmg etc offer places straight after gcse or is a level pretty much required? thanks
Original post by jamesgillian123
Im in year 11 currently, and Im planning to start a career in finance - investment banking, trading etc. Im 100% not going to university due to many reasons, mainly being not applying what I learn. I was wondering if it would be worth taking a levels at all. I know that atleast 70% of what i will do will be useless however many jobs require an a level education. Do many places like kpmg etc offer places straight after gcse or is a level pretty much required? thanks

Have you checked the entry requirements for the places you are interested in? If it doesn't say on their website it may be worth emailing or calling them to ask (and it may be faster).

As for which route to go down, i'm in the engineering sector but had the same sort of predicament as yourself, as I knew I wanted to apply what I was learning, however I recognised that many places valued A-levels. I must say that I chose to do an apprenticeship straight from school and it has deinfintely proved to be the right choice.

If you've any questions about this route, or any further questions in general, don't hesitate to contact me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest