Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I do law a level? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering will doing law a level be okay? Like will it put me at a disadvantage or something? I’m planning on either On doing a law degree or cosmetic science... I’m rly interested in law and rly want to do it. But apparently, it’s not respected?? Thansk for any help!!

ReputationRep:
    I heard that some universities have law as an unpreferred subject when doing a degree in law, I think one in london from the top of my head. And yes it is commonly looked down upon because its mostly unrelated to what you do for law in uni. The main problem is that uni's would prefer most subjects instead of it - usually atleast 1 essay subject, and a facilitating subject. But usually its the grade that really matters, so if you are confident you can do well in a level law then go for it (depending on the uni you want to go to)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesgillian123)
    I heard that some universities have law as an unpreferred subject when doing a degree in law, I think one in london from the top of my head. And yes it is commonly looked down upon because its mostly unrelated to what you do for law in uni. The main problem is that uni's would prefer most subjects instead of it - usually atleast 1 essay subject, and a facilitating subject. But usually its the grade that really matters, so if you are confident you can do well in a level law then go for it (depending on the uni you want to go to)
    Oh I see, what would an example of an easy subject be? Thanks!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Berrydo)
    Essay subject.......essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Essay subject.......essay
    Sorry I meant essay* so what essay subject would be good to take?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I meant essay* so what essay subject would be good to take?
    ones where you write essays, english lit, english lang, history, RS, geography, physcology

ReputationRep:
    I study law at uni, from who I've met so far only like 5% of them have taken law at a level and all of them have said it hasnt helped them whatsoever. I studied history, eng lit and geog at a level
    • Very Important Poster

Just wondering will doing law a level be okay? Like will it put me at a disadvantage or something? I’m planning on either On doing a law degree or cosmetic science... I’m rly interested in law and rly want to do it. But apparently, it’s not respected?? Thansk for any help!!
    The way to find out is to look at the entrance requirements of the uni you are applying to or interested in.

Its a myth they look down on Law A level. A very few unis may say they want 2 facilitating subjects, but there are also others where it is a preferred subject and the rest simply dont care because its all about grades.

What are your other two subjects?

Where are you interested in applying?

Are you a straight A/A* student?

In virtually all cases you will be fine.

The thing that matters is what grades you have.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The general perception is that A-level Law carries no benefit nor hindrance to students taking it. It is perfectly acceptable in general, however there may be other A-levels that would serve as better or more useful preparation for degree level study in Law - such as History or English Literature, which develop stronger academic writing skills than in A-level Law.

It's not bad in of itself though, you just need to be cognizant of the potential opportunity cost of taking it. I'm not aware of any major university rejecting people for having it, and it's on LSE's "preferred" subject list, for example. It would be a good option to pick if you're considering Law but unsure of the choice, to get some idea of the study of Law and Socio-Legal Studies.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by ax7fold)
    I study law at uni, from who I've met so far only like 5% of them have taken law at a level and all of them have said it hasnt helped them whatsoever. I studied history, eng lit and geog at a level
    Tbf I cant see how it wouldnt give you a small boost in the beginning.

If youve studies it before then you have knowledge and familiarity with the concepts. That leaves you more time to get to grips with the more in depth aspects.

Because its quite widely available, then id think its a lot higher than 5%, but id have to get exam board data.

ReputationRep:
    Almost all universities will consider Law among your other A-Levels, and don't have a preference as to whether or not you take it, in terms of a Law degree. So if you really want to, do it. The grades matter more than anything else.

However, the legal knowledge won't be of any benefit when you begin a Law degree. It's more traditional to take Eng Lit/History/Maths etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Tbf I cant see how it wouldnt give you a small boost in the beginning.

If youve studies it before then you have knowledge and familiarity with the concepts. That leaves you more time to get to grips with the more in depth aspects.

Because its quite widely available, then id think its a lot higher than 5%, but id have to get exam board data.
    think all you like mate but from the people who i have asked they said up to this point it is completely irrelevant. My rough stat is based of my experiences talking to fellow law students who have completed an a level in law. But obviously everyone is different ;p
    • Very Important Poster

think all you like mate but from the people who i have asked they said up to this point it is completely irrelevant. My rough stat is based of my experiences talking to fellow law students who have completed an a level in law. But obviously everyone is different ;p
    Why is knowledge irrelevant?

Why wouldnt it be an advantage knowing about Criminal, Contract, Constitutional or Tort? Its the same knowledge , just a different depth.
    Still the same cases and Law.
    Still the same method of problem solving, except the depth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Why is knowledge irrelevant?

Why wouldnt it be an advantage knowing about Criminal, Contract, Constitutional or Tort? Its the same knowledge , just a different depth.
    Still the same cases and Law.
    Still the same method of problem solving, except the depth.

seems like you answered your own question
    • Very Important Poster

seems like you answered your own question
    You claimed based on your survey it would be of no help whatsoever.
    It is not irrelevant as you suggested.
    If you have studied something before, then you have a foundation to build on. The Law doesnt change whether you are studying at A level or degree level.

ReputationRep:
    ones where you write essays, english lit, english lang, history, RS, geography, physcology
    Actually any academic subjects, not just the humanities. Sciences and social sciences are fine too, and give you different skills (e.g. logic) which are equally respected by universities and employers.

ReputationRep:
    I take law a level, and the majority of my law class are going to study a law related degree. I think it will be helpful as it gives you the base knowledge, even if it isn't in as much detail as it is at degree level.
    Also I'm pretty sure that most unis consider it a facilitating subject. You are learning essay writing skills and how to apply your knowledge to real scenarios. Obviously I don't know how you are assessed in a law degree but I don't see how taking it at a level could harm you in anyway.
    To everyone saying it isn't, law is an essay subject. In the exam you answer 3 25 mark essays.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.