Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most women who were once patients in a mental hospital can be trusted as babysitters Watch

• View Poll Results: Most women who were once patients in a mental hospital can be trusted as babysitters
    Agree
    50.00%
    Disagree
    36.00%
    Unsure
    14.00%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Agree or disagree?

Simple question. Please vote in the poll before reading the spoiler.

It would be interesting if you could explain your answer in the thread and whether you'd let a woman who had been in a psychiatric hospital watch your [future] kids.

please vote first!
    According to Time To Change, only 29% of survey respondents asked this question agreed in 2014. And just 17% in 2007:
    https://www.time-to-change.org.uk/si...rt_final_0.pdf
    I found this pretty incredible but I don't know if I'm the outlier here so wanted to gather some data and get some views of other young people. Time To Change's surveys include people across a range of ages and for many of the questions the younger age group has different views to the over 55 age group. I know people over 55 use TSR but it's mostly under 30's.

Thanks y'all!

ReputationRep:
    Deoends if I know the woman ir not.
    I know a woman who was in the mental hospital, who has 2 chikdren if her own. She was in the mental hospital when she birthed the eldest child, and was in such a bad mental state, she cannot recall anything around that time. Yet she beat it, and brought up her 2 children very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Agree or disagree?

It would be interesting if you could explain your answer in the thread and whether you'd let a woman who had been in a psychiatric hospital watch your [future] kids.

please vote first!
    According to Time To Change, only 29% of survey respondents asked this question agreed in 2014. And just 17% in 2007:
    I found this pretty incredible but I don't know if I'm the outlier here so wanted to gather some data and get some views of other young people. Time To Change's survey's include people across a range of ages and for many of the questions the younger age group has different views to the over 55 age group. I know people over 55 use TSR but it's mostly under 30's.

Thanks y'all!
    If they're out of the mental hospital then I assume they're mentally stable so I don't see why not. You can go to a mental hospital for depression so it doesn't really matter.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Interesting! I did think it would be low, but not that low. I would because I know very well that suffering with mental illness requiring hospitalisation at any point in time in your life does not define you as a person and does not dictate who you are in the future and stuff like that. Same with a man. It's definitely not a question I'd even ask a potential babysitter because I don't think it would be relevant, so I don't think it would come up anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    Depends if I know the woman or not.
    I know a woman who was in the mental hospital, who has 2 chikdren if her own. She was in the mental hospital when she birthed the eldest child, and was in such a bad mental state, she cannot recall anything around that time. Yet she beat it, and brought up her 2 children very well.
    I think thats essential to be honest, as if you do not know the individual and asks them to babysit your children it can go drastically wrong, Best to be safe than sorry I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Agree or disagree?

please vote first!
    I found this pretty incredible but I don't know if I'm the outlier here so wanted to gather some data and get some views of other young people. Time To Change's surveys include people across a range of ages and for many of the questions the younger age group has different views to the over 55 age group. I know people over 55 use TSR but it's mostly under 30's.

Thanks y'all!
    In all honesty, I could never allow it. This is partly because I'd be constantly worried the entire evening, which would defeat the purpose, and there is no guarantee that the patient has fully been cured. Little things can trigger a reaction from mentally unstable people, and of course, children are naturally curious and insensitive if the issue did come up.

Btw I am intrigued as to why just women and not men? I've seen plenty of male babysitters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiszShortee786)
    I think thats essential to be honest, as if you do not know the individual and asks them to babysit your children it can go drastically wrong, Best to be safe than sorry I guess.
    Tbh I would never leave my children by anyone I do not know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    Tbh I would never leave my children by anyone I do not know.
    Im very wary of what can happen to a child whilst at the hand of babysitters that have other motives.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allemagne)
    Btw I am intrigued as to why just women and not men? I've seen plenty of male babysitters.
    I wondered that myself, but it's what the survey question asked so in the interest of fairness I kept it the same.

ReputationRep:
    I wondered that myself, but it's what the survey question asked so in the interest of fairness I kept it the same.
    Can it not be in any other setting apart from a mental hospital?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Can it not be in any other setting apart from a mental hospital?
    I don't understand your question.

ReputationRep:
    Are you asking if we would Be okay with that?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand your question.
    What if it was an individual from a psychiatric unit if they reformed themselves and built a new reputation for themselves?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't trust anyone if I had kids. Let alone some randomer that just got out of a mental institution lmao.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What if it was an individual from a psychiatric unit if they reformed themselves and built a new reputation for themselves?
    That's what the question is asking:
    "who were once patients in a mental hospital"

As in, in the past they were in a psychiatric hospital and are no longer, could most of them be trusted. So yes, "reformed" and built a new reputation etc.

ReputationRep:
    That's what the question is asking:
    "who were once patients in a mental hospital"

As in, in the past they were in a psychiatric hospital and are no longer, could most of them be trusted. So yes, "reformed" and built a new reputation etc.
    Oh right okay thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Simple question.
    Simple, but slightly strange. Why would anyone who has been treated and is now well not be trusted? Would you not trust someone who had once had cancer but who was now well?

I guess many of those who say 'no' conflate mental illnesses of all types with paranoid schizophrenic killing sprees.

ReputationRep:
    Asking that is like asking “most women who’ve been in hospital with a broken leg should still be able to do sports” if they have recovered of course they can
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I do not think that anyone who at some point had to be sectioned in a mental hospital could be fully trusted with children. Just like people can relapse on drugs people can have a relapse when it comes to mental problems. Also children are in enough danger when it comes to mentally unstable parents who in some cases have harmed them or worse in an ordinary setting, so why would anyone take a chance with a stranger with proven past mental problems? It's just wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellieg333)
    Asking that is like asking “most women who’ve been in hospital with a broken leg should still be able to do sports” if they have recovered of course they can
    A broken leg healing is much easier to assess then a broken mind. Some psychiatrists have even let out people dangerous to the public thinking they are cured or are safe and these people have gone on to commit more crimes, so it's not that simple.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.