Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I have recently been very confused and stressed due to the fact i am moving homes very soon before January and have not yet found a school place and even when i do i feel this will ruin my exams as its very likely the new school will not offer the same syllabus and exam boards i have been studying at my recent school. What should i do? I need advice and have even looked at online schools but they cost way too much are any free? Either way i was predicted 9 GCSEs at level 4 to 7 ( Lower C to A ) and need to look into a way to sort this asap as exams start in May/June. Has anyone been in a similar situation or can help?

ReputationRep:
    No it won’t. I settled into my new home in a matter of days after everything had been unpacked. Everything will have been moved to your new home while you are in school I assume, so there’s no worries about it taking a long time. You can settle into your home on the day you move if you unpack all of your stuff.

I moved house in 2015, which was the first term of year 10, but end of year exams were similarly stressful for me anyway.

And also, if your school doesn’t offer the same syllabus for all exams, i suspect it will teach the same syllabus for most subjects. For the ones it doesn’t, ask the exams office to enter you for that exam board, and then self teach yourself the rest of the subject. It isn’t hard. I’m a year 12 student who is self teaching 2 extra GCSE’s as well as possibly redoing a few. I am also self teaching an a Level. It’s easy.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid you are right to worry as moving schools in Year 11 does cause a lot of issues. I would say that students starting at our school in Years 10 & 11 normally only have a couple of subjects where the specification is the same as the one they were doing before and often there is a subject or two that they're doing that we just don't teach (e.g. Sociology, Business Studies). On the plus side changing specifications caused the biggest problem with the controlled assessment and very few subjects have that now. The content for different exam boards doesn't vary that much although History can be a problem as can set books for English Lit. I would get looking at possible schools sooner rather than later:
    • Do they have space (you really don't have time to go to appeal to get a place if they don't at this stage)?
    • Are they half decent?
    • Do they offer the subjects you want to do and will they timetable? (e.g. you may want to do Art and Music but they may be timetabled at the same time)
    • Do the exam boards match up?

When you do get to a school make a push to get it decided asap for each subject whether you are swapping to their specification or sticking with the one you are studying. I'd swap if possible, unless there's a really good reason not to as all the revision in school will be based on the exam style question for what everyone else is going and they are different.

p.s. The exam entries have to be made by February half term so you need a school and a definite plan for what you are taking before that.

ReputationRep:
    Get a copy of the specification for each subject. Go through with your current teachers what you will be covering before you leave. The rest you need to self-teach. You cannot rely on the new school, they probably won't be prepared to help you. Make sure your parents are sorting out where you will be sitting the actual exams.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely talk to your new school about them entering you for the syllabus and subjects you're currently working with.

Alternatively, talk to your old school about whether you can sit the exams there (especially if you've already done coursework with them).

ReputationRep:
    Whats the best ways to self teach as i feel i might need to do this for some subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, do schools normally accept year 11 students and how long would the admission process take if you know about this stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adz 1)
    Thanks, do schools normally accept year 11 students and how long would the admission process take if you know about this stuff?
    They do accept students into Y11 and how long the process takes depends on whether there is room or not. We're always oversubscribed so students have to appeal for a place which takes well over a month but, as far as I know, taking up a space if there's room can be very quick.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.